collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa - 1 Southampton - 0 Post match thread  (Read 20597 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa - 1 Southampton - 0 Post match thread
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2022, 04:02:33 PM »
Ok for all those picking apart my comment I say this. Watkins is not a goalscorer. Simple. How many one on one's have we seen him fluff? He had two away at City last season which would of seen us go 3 or 4 nil up against one of the best sides on the planet. I'm aware of inflation so the 40mil Liverpool paid for Salah would be more than that today. But he was still a relatively cheap player inthe scheme of things and if we are serious about challenging at the top end that's precisely what we should be trying to emulate. I can't understand why people are arguing against it.

Again, if it's so easy why isn't everyone in the league doing it?

Salah joined a side in the Champions League for a fee 5 years ago that is still more than we've ever paid for a player. Those are the reasons i'm saying it's not easy. No one is saying they wouldn't like an upgrade on Watkins, but it's not as easy as you are trying to make out.
I never said it was easy. I said it's what we should be aiming to do. My point is Watkins is not a goalscorer. He's an absolute machine with his work rate and gives the opposition nightmares but we need a 20 goals a season striker if we are going to challenge at the top. I suppose I'm guilty of stating the bleeding obvious.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:37:58 PM by The Edge »

Offline holteender1

« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2022, 04:19:36 PM »
It wasn't the best performance, granted. Soton dragged us down to a mediocre level, But lets look at the positives, watkins looked threatening. Ming was commanding. The subs were well timed, and a wins a win.
Keep the faith, Steveies interview was far more upbeat than previous interviews, and that'll filter through to the lads.. FACT

I wont be suprised if there's not a run coming on!

Offline Skerra

« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2022, 05:11:50 PM »
From the little we’ve seen of him, I think we have the answer if given the chance, Archer.

Online The Edge

« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2022, 05:28:05 PM »
From the little we’ve seen of him, I think we have the answer if given the chance, Archer.
That would be awesome. They seem reluctant to give him his chance though for some reason.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2022, 05:36:28 PM »
Ings looks like he would struggle to keep up with a conga  line in an old folks home.

The queue to see the Queen moves faster than Ings.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2022, 06:37:28 PM »
*Chuckle*

Excellent, both. Even if really disloyal.

Offline john2710

« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2022, 06:46:15 PM »
That would be awesome. They seem reluctant to give him his chance though for some reason.

Perhaps it's because he's not ready or not good enough, yet. Players who don't play are always better than those in the team. Incredibly there's still some who think Guilbert should be playing.

Appreciate we won't know about Archer until we try.

But you can imagine what would happen if he played a couple of games & missed some chances. I don't see Archer as a No 9 & I don't think Gerrard is in the position to take the risk.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 06:49:58 PM by john2710 »

Online The Edge

« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2022, 09:04:48 PM »

Perhaps it's because he's not ready or not good enough, yet. Players who don't play are always better than those in the team. Incredibly there's still some who think Guilbert should be playing.

But you can imagine what would happen if he played a couple of games & missed some chances. I don't see Archer as a No 9 & I don't think Gerrard is in the position to take the risk.
Giving Archer his first start in the PL is a huge call for the manager. They have to be certain that he's ready. As fans we're all praying for one of our own to step up and be "the man" but we have to trust the judgement of those who are paid to make that call. Wouldn't it be amazing to watch his debut at Villa Park and for him to go on to a stellar career and be able to tell our kids and grandkids "I was there?"

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2022, 10:29:16 PM »

Giving Archer his first start in the PL is a huge call for the manager. They have to be certain that he's ready. As fans we're all praying for one of our own to step up and be "the man" but we have to trust the judgement of those who are paid to make that call. Wouldn't it be amazing to watch his debut at Villa Park and for him to go on to a stellar career and be able to tell our kids and grandkids "I was there?"

A first start might be a big call, but I’d just like him to try more than 10 minutes as a starting point!

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2022, 10:47:51 PM »
I'd rather we stopped gambling on players who might be alright and signed that Juventus bloke Monty recommended. Have forgotten his name but think he's from one of the Balkan countries.

Dusan Vlahovic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du%C5%A1an_Vlahovi%C4%87

Would be a real coup but would he come? Probably not.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2022, 10:58:03 PM »
Definitely not.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2022, 10:58:03 PM »
Monty more or less promised it so I wouldn't worry. That's my recollection anyway.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #237 on: September 17, 2022, 11:42:12 PM »
Get him to meet Monty over an espresso in Roma and sort it out.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2022, 11:46:45 PM »
Quote from: Fabrizio Romano
Dušan Vlahović, Juventus to Aston Villa. Here we go!

Good work, Monty!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2022, 01:03:14 AM »
The only players to score more than 15 league goals last season were Kane, Son, Salah, Mane and Ronaldo. That's why it isn't easy.

We need to find a Bowen type really. How many did he get for West Ham last season playing wide in the front 3? Someone who can get behind defences from wider positions and stretch play.

Amazed we didn't go for him in summer 2019 given our transfer model that summer. West Ham signed him for about 18m six months later so wasn't like he was overpriced either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal