collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Manager Speculation/Hopes  (Read 180941 times)

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
Re: Next Manager Speculation/Hopes
« Reply #405 on: October 09, 2022, 06:23:17 PM »
Sounds right Beard82. Could it be Purslow spinning a line to ease the pressure on Gerrard, if someone else is appointed he’s going to have to work with the current squad so let’s give Gerrard more time but this doesn’t add up with the continued improvement blurb.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #406 on: October 09, 2022, 06:32:32 PM »
accept it looks like the owners don’t want to cough up any more cash.

Even if Pochettino were to be remotely interested in a job like Villa, the only way that would happen would be if he was promised the sort of transfer budget he'd need to have a proper crack at the European places. And that I think, isn't very likely any more. The squad still needs massively upgrading, and "one in, one out" isn't go to fix that very quickly.
yes as I said above, unless we are prepared to do what Spurs did to get Conte, we are not getting any manager of that level.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #407 on: October 09, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »
Poch was out of work when Chelsea and Man Utd needed a new manager. Why didn't any of those two get him? Or didn't they want to cough up any more cash?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 06:58:22 PM by Clampy »

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #408 on: October 09, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »
Top top managers don't often go to clubs that go decades between trophies and can't finish in the top half.

« Reply #409 on: October 09, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
If Everton can get Ancelotti and Newcastle can get Benitez I don’t give a fuck what Purslow says we should be capable of getting Poch if we wanted him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #410 on: October 09, 2022, 07:42:26 PM »
Exactly.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #411 on: October 09, 2022, 07:47:54 PM »
I guess it would come down to whether he thought he was in with a chance of getting a better gig in the immediate future. It’s not obvious that he would be.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #412 on: October 09, 2022, 08:25:14 PM »
If I were Poch I’d be having a nice long holiday and wait for a bigger & better job to become available. Sadly for us.

« Reply #413 on: October 09, 2022, 08:33:05 PM »
If I were Poch I’d be having a nice long holiday and wait for a bigger & better job to become available. Sadly for us.

If he wants to work in England where is he going to go? He was overlooked by Chelsea and when his star was brighter Man U stuck with Solskjaer. I would think he’d only get offers from similar stature clubs to us.
TBH I sound like some Poch fan club member. There would be plenty of managers who could improve us it’s just that he’s unemployed and we know what he can do.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #414 on: October 09, 2022, 08:34:56 PM »
If I were Poch I'd be finding a big old house around Brum Nd lowering my salary demands, while plotting 3 at the back to wind CD up for that 80% remark.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #415 on: October 09, 2022, 09:32:38 PM »
I fear Poch has already turned us down otherwise he would be here now.

Why do people keep saying that? There's no evidence of that whatsoever.

It would be negligent of us not to sound out other managers when the present one is hardly winning any games.

We appointed Gerrard about 72 hours after DS got sacked so clearly had sounded him out in the weeks before.

Perhaps Poch wants a break rest of the year. Or dosen't want to come back into management yet. At least him getting overlooked for CL teams like Chelsea and Sevilla suggests he's going to take a job at underachieving big club like us when he eventually makes his managerial return.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #416 on: October 09, 2022, 11:00:40 PM »
Let's face it, the way things are going, the jobs at the Manchester clubs, Liverpool clubs, and top London clubs aren't coming up any time soon. We're a good option for anyone. And we can afford it.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #417 on: October 10, 2022, 08:48:27 AM »
Let's face it, the way things are going, the jobs at the Manchester clubs, Liverpool clubs, and top London clubs aren't coming up any time soon. We're a good option for anyone. And we can afford it.

I'd like to agree, but I'm not as sure it's true as I was a few months ago.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #418 on: October 10, 2022, 08:58:14 AM »

I'd like to agree, but I'm not as sure it's true as I was a few months ago.
It like credit risk, ability to pay and willingness to pay, we probably have the former but not the latter.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #419 on: October 10, 2022, 09:06:38 AM »

Gerrard is a cheque book manager so don't appoint him if your not going to throw money at it

I hate sweeping comments like this with no basis in fact.  His spending at Rangers was modest - about £28m over 3 seasons and with that he delivered the league.

For Villa his only real indulgence has been Coutinho.

He's not necessarily a very good manager, far from it it seems, but there's no evidence he's a 'cheque book manager' either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal