collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:43:43 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Paul.S
[Today at 11:42:36 AM]

Champions League Contention by Astnor
[Today at 11:38:10 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Mister E
[Today at 11:34:56 AM]

Robin Olsen by London Villan
[Today at 11:32:24 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:18 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Nev
[Today at 11:16:38 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Manager Speculation/Hopes  (Read 181157 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Next Manager Speculation/Hopes
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2022, 08:01:01 AM »
I know basically nothing about football outside of Villa, but Chelsea would be a very lucrative free hit for Potter. He'd have a good salary, big payout when he gets the sack, and it's not like failing at Chelsea as a mid-season appointment would put his next club off.

We hired RDM, Everton hired Lampard; Villas-Boas, Benitez, Conte, Sarri have all gone on to have careers elsewhere.

Brighton, with all due respect, are a rabbit turd of a club. I expect Potter would be confident of doing well, but even if he were to fail, his family would be set for life, and his professional reputation would be undiminished because everybody knows what arsewipes Chelsea are.

Win/win.
Was going to post exactly this, but worded more clumsily.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2022, 08:14:02 AM »
Potter would get the time to get it right with us. He won’t at Chelsea. It’s a strange choice but anyone going there knows the game. Go in get paid, win something if possible and expect a payout.
I’d be interested how much time you’d give Potter here?? I’m presuming it would be longer than half a season and 6 games of the next ??

I’d give any manager time if he demonstrated improvements and tangible progression. I realize this is a dig at my Gerrard out thread or my position overall. If you look back at our record after Christmas overall it’s abysmal. And what’s worse is our football is atrocious. The manager also made an unnecessary change to our captain, pick someone who I couldn’t think of as a worse leader. He barely does interviews or motivates players on the pitch. And he’s created an equally unnecessary bomb squad of players who should be contributing. So do I want Gerrard gone yes. Would I give Potter more time? Yes if he did the opposite of all of things Gerrard has done.
To be honest, I don’t think our form has been good since Grealish left which did for Smith in the end. Gerrard picked up a mid table squad (at best) and that needed/needs the addition of high quality players if we’re to break past that mid table into the top 8 and stay there. That will take time, regardless of who is in charge, Gerrard, Poch Potter. Smith created the “bomb squad” it just wasn’t called that until Gerrard came. The players in there were not deemed good enough by either Smith or Gerrard. I agree the captaincy episode was bizarre and it backfired massively. That needs putting right because clearly McGinn is the wrong choice.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2022, 09:13:32 AM »
Potter would get the time to get it right with us. He won’t at Chelsea. It’s a strange choice but anyone going there knows the game. Go in get paid, win something if possible and expect a payout.
I’d be interested how much time you’d give Potter here?? I’m presuming it would be longer than half a season and 6 games of the next ??

I’d give any manager time if he demonstrated improvements and tangible progression. I realize this is a dig at my Gerrard out thread or my position overall. If you look back at our record after Christmas overall it’s abysmal. And what’s worse is our football is atrocious. The manager also made an unnecessary change to our captain, pick someone who I couldn’t think of as a worse leader. He barely does interviews or motivates players on the pitch. And he’s created an equally unnecessary bomb squad of players who should be contributing. So do I want Gerrard gone yes. Would I give Potter more time? Yes if he did the opposite of all of things Gerrard has done.
What if he went on a run of 6 defeats in a row?  Or we didn't score a home goal for 3 months?  Maybe if we didn't win for 3 months and set a club record of 14 home games without a win?   Would you give him time then?

Offline Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2022, 10:11:37 AM »
Potter seems to be off the shelf, agreement in principle with Chelsea confirmed.
I wonder what he'll do with Carney Chukwuemeka, it might be grim news if he gets a bloody good tune out of him!

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2022, 10:22:15 AM »
A manager with no ego managing a team full of ego's, what could go wrong?

Offline Joe S

• GM : 09.05.2024
« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2022, 10:25:35 AM »
well, as you put it like that Robbo, loads hopefully.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2022, 11:23:00 AM »

What if he went on a run of 6 defeats in a row?  Or we didn't score a home goal for 3 months?  Maybe if we didn't win for 3 months and set a club record of 14 home games without a win?   Would you give him time then?

Not all defeats and bad runs are the same. We’ve seen how Potter likes to play. As he tries to establish us over a couple of season playing as Brighton have been under him there are going to be bumps and bad runs. But I think all of us want to see that we are trying to win, playing a brand of football that is pleasing to the eye. That doesn’t always mean we will win games. There have only been a couple of games under Gerrard where the football was genuinely pleasing. But for most of it and certainly most of it since January, it’s been eye bleedingly awful.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2022, 01:04:32 PM »
I think some commentators are under the impression Chelsea are still owned and run by Abramovich. It's quite likely the whole culture of the club will now change in the short to medium term, and Potter will be given a certain amount of time to implement his system and philosophy.  (This might not go down well with the plastic fans who have attached themselves to the club over the past two decades but that's their problem - for the first time in over two decades their fanbase will need to display patience.) 

I think such a shift in direction and outlook at Chelsea is great news for clubs like ourselves, and I can see a post-Abramovich slide on the horizon.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2022, 01:26:14 PM »
Potter seems to be off the shelf, agreement in principle with Chelsea confirmed.
I wonder what he'll do with Carney Chukwuemeka, it might be grim news if he gets a bloody good tune out of him!

Brighton must have someone good lined up as they let him go relatively easily..

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »

Possibly a buy out clause

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2022, 01:48:11 PM »
Well, Potter sure knows how to time Brighton's invariably quite short runs of good form! ;)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2022, 02:04:07 PM »

Rodgers would be a good fit there.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »
I think some commentators are under the impression Chelsea are still owned and run by Abramovich. It's quite likely the whole culture of the club will now change in the short to medium term, and Potter will be given a certain amount of time to implement his system and philosophy.  (This might not go down well with the plastic fans who have attached themselves to the club over the past two decades but that's their problem - for the first time in over two decades their fanbase will need to display patience.) 

I'd say that's def part of it.

Potter might not have known everything about Brighton's recruitment strategy, but he knows most of it. That's attractive to the money men as well.  It's difficult to pick up players at the top level for peanuts now, but the amount of good value they've had for players signed for £10 million or less sets them apart.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2022, 02:47:48 PM »
Potter might not have known everything about Brighton's recruitment strategy, but he knows most of it. That's attractive to the money men as well.  It's difficult to pick up players at the top level for peanuts now, but the amount of good value they've had for players signed for £10 million or less sets them apart.

Wasn't a good part of the recruitment strategy down to Dan Ashworth who's gone to Newcastle?

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »
Looks like Chelsea about to appoint Potter - smart appointment all round. So he's off the table for the Villa job if we find ourselves seeking a new manager shortly

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal