collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Continuous improvement  (Read 2991 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Continuous improvement
« on: August 11, 2022, 10:13:35 PM »
Robin Wilkes looks at what Steven Gerrard's got to do.

https://heroesandvillains.info/2022/08/11/continuous-improvement/

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Continuous improvement
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 10:19:21 PM »
Gerrad?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 10:20:03 PM »
Will FB on Sunday.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 11:27:01 PM »
Very interesting theme for an article on the Villa, had never thought about the season-on-season improvement being so difficult and rare after you've manage two decent years. I guess our sporadic success since the 1890s is testament to that.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 12:14:38 AM »
Some well tuned points. Great read.
By the way Gerrard at Rangers- he really started seeing a full consistent progress in his third season where he achieved his ultimate success. The whole season unbeaten and winning the league.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 07:38:15 AM »
A good read. Was thinking, as i really don’t know, over the last 50/60/70 years are there any clubs other then Man Utd, Liverpool and now Man City that have achieved year on year succes or improvement? Arsenal perhaps in the early 2000s with Wenger, but even then it seemed intermittent between them and and Man Utd?
Our seems a tale of several missed opportunities, or events out of our hands, allowing Saunders to resign rather than rebuild again, investing in the wrong players (Collymore, Curcic) after the really good 95-96 season under Little in particular and Doug not seizing the day, Taylor going to England in 90.
I suppose several bigger clubs, Spurs and Newcastle spring to mind, could point to their own nuanced missed opportunities for sustained improvement and success. 

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 08:20:48 AM »
I suppose several bigger clubs, Spurs and Newcastle spring to mind, could point to their own nuanced missed opportunities for sustained improvement and success.

???

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 08:21:54 AM »
That was an accidental emoji, of which I disapprove. I meant ? ? ?.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 08:26:05 AM »

???

I know i did wince when typing it, ive had a week off alcohol i blame that for my indiscretion!! I apologise to all for any offence caused!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 08:31:08 AM »
Really enjoyed reading it.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 09:40:42 AM »
Very interesting read and well researched

Thanks

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 11:41:52 AM »
It's easier to provide "continuous improvement" when you take over a club in the lower half of the Championship. Even then, Smith was massively struggling with a team with Abraham, Mings, McGinn, Hourihane and El Ghazi in it. 1 win in 11 games and going nowhere, until Grealish came back to save the season. Then whatever you do in the Premier League, even if we'd finished 20th, it would still have automatically been an improvement on any place in the Premier League.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 12:59:56 AM »
Ah, the old Grealish 'one-man team' myth.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 01:50:37 AM »
It's easier to provide "continuous improvement" when you take over a club in the lower half of the Championship. Even then, Smith was massively struggling with a team with Abraham, Mings, McGinn, Hourihane and El Ghazi in it. 1 win in 11 games and going nowhere, until Grealish came back to save the season. Then whatever you do in the Premier League, even if we'd finished 20th, it would still have automatically been an improvement on any place in the Premier League.

I think you’re right Risso. A Di Matteo, Bruce, or anyone could have waltzed into the job, answered a couple of emails of a day, pop in for a chat with the players, let Abhram and Grealish sort out on pitch matters, have a few cups of tea and boom: continuous improvement achieved: new centre back pairing, 10 game winning streak, promotion without a pre-season, promotion at first attempt, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. There’s been alot of talk about chancers recently but Smith blagged it for years until he finally got found out. I just don’t get why people on here keep banging on and on and on about him. I think it’s just because he supported the club. Thankfully our new ‘no excuses’ culture will mean that continuous improvement will now be ‘business as usual.’ Looking forward to us getting above 55 points this season.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 01:22:32 AM »
Actually, ANY centre-back pairing would have been nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal