collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:15:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:15:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 08:14:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 08:14:13 PM]

[Today at 08:13:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 08:13:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:12:45 PM]

[Today at 08:11:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bournemouth vs Aston Villa pre match thread  (Read 18846 times)

Offline cdward

Re: Bournemouth vs Aston Villa pre match thread
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2022, 04:42:09 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/02/why-bournemouth-sleepwalking-towards-disaster/

Why Bournemouth are sleepwalking towards disaster
Chronically underfunded in the transfer market, Scott Parker faces one of the toughest tests of his managerial career.
Have Bournemouth given themselves even a fighting chance of staying in the Premier League? It felt like a desperate plea for help from Scott Parker when, at the weekend, the manager said: “We’re way short of where we need to be.” And it sharpened the focus on the newly-promoted club.

Eight first-team players have left from the squad that went up last season. Just three have been signed. Two of those are free transfers – Joe Rothwell from Blackburn Rovers and Ryan Fredericks from West Ham United – and both are injured. Just £10 million has been spent, on midfielder Marcus Tavernier, and he only arrived from Middlesbrough this week, days before the season kicks off on Saturday at home to Aston Villa.

Little wonder Parker has suggested, quite remarkably if under-reported in the euphoria around England Women’s European Championship triumph, that the club did not “want to give ourselves a chance of being competitive” and the apparent lack of ambition has led to confusion and concern at Bournemouth.

There are storm clouds on the south-coast when fans should be relishing a return to the top-flight.
The logical conclusion is that Bournemouth are staring at going straight back down with the suspicion that owner Maxim Demin may not have the stomach, or perhaps even the finances, for the fight. Why else would he not invest or does he really believe the squad is good enough or is he simply prepared to accept relegation?

Rumours still swirl, having emerged last year, that the Russian businessman (with UK citizenship) may be looking to sell the club. No comment was forthcoming when Bloomberg first reported this. Clearly Bournemouth would be a far more attractive proposition now they back are in the Premier League while the situation has left Parker understandably cutting an increasingly frustrated figure.

For a young, ambitious manager it is an extremely tough position. Parker has done an excellent job at Bournemouth. Just as he did at Fulham. The 41-year-old has managed two seasons in the Championship, widely acknowledged as the hardest, most attritional of leagues, and gained promotion on both occasions. That is actually an unprecedented achievement.

Sandwiched in between is a relegation and the fear has to be that he has, again, been left with a squad clearly not equipped to even compete in the Premier League.

Bournemouth have just three central defenders
Even earning promotion was impressive. Parker lost Arnaut Danjuma for £20m and replaced him with academy graduate Jaidon Anthony; one of four he promoted. High-earners such as goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and Diego Rico were moved on. He persuaded Dominic Solanke to stay, with the striker going on to score a career-best 30 goals last season.

A club that had finished sixth the year before, with a stronger squad, went up automatically. Reinforcements arrived in January but, of those, only striker Kieffer Moore has made a difference while Todd Cantwell, on loan from Norwich City, is one of the eight who has left along with centre-halves Nat Phillips (also on loan) and Gary Cahill.

In fact Bournemouth have just three central defenders. Their young captain Lloyd Kelly is certainly good enough but after him there is only Chris Mepham, who was not always a regular last season, and 20-year-old James Hill who was bought as a player to develop from League One Fleetwood Town and has made a couple of first-team appearances.

Parker pinning hopes on handful of players
Just as alarmingly Bournemouth have only two goalkeepers – first-choice Mark Travers, 23, who replaced Begovic, and Will Dennis who has played one first-team game, an FA Cup tie, and has spent most of his career in Southern Counties football. What happens if Travers gets injured?

It appears Bournemouth are pinning their hopes on a small handful of players – Solanke (who needs support), Kelly, Lewis Cook, Philip Billing and Jefferson Lerma (who only has a year left on his contract) – and even more so on Parker’s nous, drive and coaching ability. But with the manager appearing frustrated, and becoming vocal in his frustration, is that sustainable? He desperately needs reinforcements and has called for two more defenders to be signed before the weekend but that looks unlikely.
Given the investment from clubs around them, not least from also promoted Nottingham Forest – who finished below Bournemouth but who have spent £80m and brought in 12 players – then it is hard to see anything but a grim battle against relegation. Most pundits, not unreasonably, predict a 20th place finish with that worry that Bournemouth are prepared to accept that.

But will Parker? The former England international, who already boasts an impressive CV in his short managerial career, is desperate to cement his reputation as a Premier League manager and has now been left in a terrible quandary.

He earned promotion, his remit when he arrived last year after deciding to leave Fulham having grown fed up with the lack of control he had at that club, and surely could have expected at least a little more investment to help? Instead he looks unfairly exposed.
To a degree Bournemouth may be taking a realistic stance. If they, say, spent £40m as Norwich City did last season will it make that big a difference? Would they go down anyway as seven of the past 12 teams to be promoted from the Championship have done?

It means, in a sense, there is no pressure on Parker or – indeed – on Bournemouth although maybe he, at least, wants that pressure.

Parker, who was typified by his fighting spirit throughout his entire 20-year playing career, is not averse to battling against the odds, but with such an apparent lack of financial backing from the club, it would seem that this is a challenge even he cannot overcome.

Few expect Bournemouth to stay up. But it does not feel right that they appear to not even be giving themselves that fighting chance.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2022, 04:45:46 PM »
Not happy with that article - thats exactly the kind of article you see before a teams gives us an unexpected spanking

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2022, 04:48:04 PM »
Not happy with that article - thats exactly the kind of article you see before a teams gives us an unexpected spanking

We'll really be in trouble if one of our players is featured on Football Focus.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2022, 04:59:14 PM »
After reading that I wonder why he left Fulham

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2022, 10:49:30 AM »
The squad prediction thread has made me realise how tricky it is picking the subs bench.

We don't need two centre backs, but leaving Mings or Konsa out the matchday squad is a punchy call. 

I think the essentials are Olsen, one centre back (say Konsa or Mings), a fullback - prob young becayse of his versatility, Tim, an 8 (Ramsey/Sanson) and a striker - Ings.

So with my assumed starting line up of Martinez, Cash, Chambers, Carlos, Digne, McGinn, Kamara, Luiz, Coutinho Watkins, Bailey, the firt places for me would be

1. Olsen, 2. Young  3. Mings, 4. Tim, 5. Ramsey 6. Buendia 7. Ings

That leaves KKH, Konsa, Augustinsson, Sanson, Archer, Feeney fighting for 2 spaces (without mentioing ElGhazi, Traore etc).   I guess Sanson & Archer get the nod but it means there's going to be some pretty dissapointed big name players each week.

I'd like a wildcard like KKH on there too.

Gerrard will be pleased to have tough calls to make, but it's going to be difficult to keep everyone happy that's for sure.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2022, 10:55:19 AM »
9 subs allowed this season. It might even be "As many as you want, you can play up to 5".

Surprised you'd drop Ramsey, our best player last season.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »
9 subs allowed this season. It might even be "As many as you want, you can play up to 5".

Surprised you'd drop Ramsey, our best player last season.

I thought Ramsey faded a bit in the last quarter of the season and hasn't looked particularly sharp in pre-season.  I know he's a favourite but I think we need a change from our 8's last year (their passing stats were shocking)  Now McGinn is a shoe-in I think Ramsey will get less gametime.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2022, 07:03:20 PM »
Spot on re Ramsey, he also played for England in June. Ease him back in from the bench, he'll be fine.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2022, 07:46:01 AM »
I think we will go Mings and Chambers as subs, with Chambers covering Kamara.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2022, 08:38:04 AM »
Just shows how strong the squad is at the moment

If we go as this for the sake of argument

Martinez, Cash, Carlos, Mings, Digne, Luiz, McGinn, Kamara, Coutinho, Watkins, Bailey, then the subs available are:

Olsen

KKH, Young, Chambers, Konsa, Feeney, Augustinsson

Ramsey, Sanson, Nakamba, Iroegbunam

Buendia, Ings, Archer

That's 14 people, meaning 5 aren't even going to be in the squad, nevermind the likes of Guilbert, El Ghazi, Hause, Traore and Davis who would seem to not have much of a future with us. I think it shows that a few of the kids will probably have to go on loan, and that one or two players could probably do with being sold. Also not really sure why we gave Young another year.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2022, 08:53:49 AM »
Yep the clear out has not happened and agree Young  looks surplus to requirements.
I have allways thought a squad that is a bit thin is better than having lots of senior players kicking their heels week after week.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2022, 09:00:37 AM »
Also not really sure why we gave Young another year.

I'd guess it's more to do with his experience / leadership / off-pitch qualities more than because he's going to get a load of minutes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2022, 09:06:01 AM »

I'd guess it's more to do with his experience / leadership / off-pitch qualities more than because he's going to get a load of minutes.

Yes of course, but in that case he'd have been better being taken on as a coach, rather than taking a squad spot that might stop one of the kids like KKH getting valuable minutes.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2022, 09:33:40 AM »

Yes of course, but in that case he'd have been better being taken on as a coach, rather than taking a squad spot that might stop one of the kids like KKH getting valuable minutes.

I remember reading somewhere that Gerrard saw his role as effectively a liaison point between players and management.

Which if so, makes sense to do it this way.

I think the only times we'll see him on the pitch will be with a load of young players in the early round(s?) of the League Cup and on 88 minutes to waste time if we're holding onto a lead.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
Just saw Buendia is a doubt with a thigh injury he picked up last week.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal