collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Drinking by the Ground  (Read 25781 times)

Online luke95

Re: Drinking by the Ground
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2022, 01:41:38 PM »
I'm curious about this myth that we don't drink in town. I usually go straight to Witton when arriving at New Street. Do we have large numbers of Villa fans drinking in the centre before and after a game? I know a lot of our support is North Brum but the trains back into the city are rammed after a game. I'm just interested. Is it complete bollocks on the Noses part? Obviously on derby day we would be segregated.

It is just that........ A Myth. Pubs on or just off New St are usually brimming with villa on match day.

As is the South of Brum being solid blues. Try catching a train from Any of the stations on the south side of the cross city line on a match day  & itll be bursting to overflowing with villa.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2022, 01:57:05 PM »
I knew the myth about Villa fans all being non Brummies which was hysterically funny, stupid, and patently untrue but the one.about drinking in town had me curious. I'd presumed they meant on match days for the Noses.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2022, 02:26:54 PM »
Still free to enter venues about. The Villa Tavern is my preference after match and The Safe Harbour now has a lovely outside area.

What are they like now? I was never too keen on the Diggers but the Villa Tavern was a lovely old-fashioned place.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2022, 02:52:02 PM »
Still free to enter venues about. The Villa Tavern is my preference after match and The Safe Harbour now has a lovely outside area.

What are they like now? I was never too keen on the Diggers but the Villa Tavern was a lovely old-fashioned place.

The Diggers has had a lot of work done to it and is quite pleasant. Basic fayre beer wise, but a nice relaxed atmosphere pre-match and as I mentioned, the beer garden is nice. The Tavern is same as really, but I've always liked it. It can be uncomfortably packed for an hour or so after the match, but then it's fine. DJ on after every game.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2022, 04:58:26 PM »

The Diggers has had a lot of work done to it and is quite pleasant. Basic fayre beer wise, but a nice relaxed atmosphere pre-match and as I mentioned, the beer garden is nice. The Tavern is same as really, but I've always liked it. It can be uncomfortably packed for an hour or so after the match, but then it's fine. DJ on after every game.
I drink in the Villa Tavern matchdays and it does get uncomfortably full for a couple of hours before the game and for about an hour after. It's actually my local boozer and I know it struggles out of season so I'm happy to put up with it being rammed for a few hours on a match day to keep the tills ringing. Without our home games it wouldn't survive.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2022, 05:01:09 PM »
Thanks both.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2022, 05:29:45 PM »

Is this the Safe Harbour?

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2022, 05:47:21 PM »

Is this the Safe Harbour?
Yes it is, opposite the main gates of Witton Cemetery on Moor Lane. Was past there last year and ut was surrounded by shuttering. Spent a decent part of my late teens and early 20's playing 'Arrers for them.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2022, 06:49:35 PM »

I drink in the Villa Tavern matchdays and it does get uncomfortably full for a couple of hours before the game and for about an hour after. It's actually my local boozer and I know it struggles out of season so I'm happy to put up with it being rammed for a few hours on a match day to keep the tills ringing. Without our home games it wouldn't survive.

Used to drink in the Tavern every game till around 2007 I think, the nice couple that ran it were kicked out (the bloke was my folks neighbours son) and some right rabble took over, it went south quickly and we switched to the Bartons.
But it was a bloody nightmare trying to get a pint in there most of last season, and I was thinking of trying the Tavern again as I drive past it on my way in. You've put me off now!

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2022, 07:25:20 PM »
Both are rarities - the Diggers because it was empty for so long and re-opened rather than being demolished or converted, the Tavern because there are so few surviving inner city back street locals.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2022, 07:27:07 PM »
I'm curious about this myth that we don't drink in town. I usually go straight to Witton when arriving at New Street. Do we have large numbers of Villa fans drinking in the centre before and after a game? I know a lot of our support is North Brum but the trains back into the city are rammed after a game. I'm just interested. Is it complete bollocks on the Noses part? Obviously on derby day we would be segregated.
Every pub is full of Villa .We do the rounds of town,from Colmore Row to John Bright Street, with roads in between.Also JQ is all Villa.

You posted that in the manner of how the Holte End would chant, would be amusing to sing that to them....if we ever meet again.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2022, 07:30:02 PM »
Town is also full of Villa even when we play them too. They don't have much to go with, so they choose outrageous myths.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2022, 08:18:17 PM »

Used to drink in the Tavern every game till around 2007 I think, the nice couple that ran it were kicked out (the bloke was my folks neighbours son) and some right rabble took over, it went south quickly and we switched to the Bartons.
But it was a bloody nightmare trying to get a pint in there most of last season, and I was thinking of trying the Tavern again as I drive past it on my way in. You've put me off now!
It's still a decent old pub. It's mainly the bar that gets rammed but it is pretty small. The room at the back is used as a real ale bar on matchdays and that never seems to be too overcrowded.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2022, 09:03:45 PM »
Thankfully, my ageing waterworks have made this sort of problem academic for me. A couple of pints before the game, and I'm spending the first half in the bogs. I envy you iron-bladdered buggers.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2022, 10:34:27 PM »
Every pub is full of Villa .We do the rounds of town,from Colmore Row to John Bright Street, with roads in between.Also JQ is all Villa.

You posted that in the manner of how the Holte End would chant, would be amusing to sing that to them....if we ever meet again.

Funnily enough I read it to this tune. Hopefully in a few years when we're conquering Europe again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal