collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your selection for Aston Villa (M) Strongest 11 this season.  (Read 14106 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Your selection for Aston Villa (M) Strongest 11 this season.
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2022, 10:28:07 AM »
 Something like this 4-2-1-3?

Martinez
Cash.         Carlos.        Mings.        Digne
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho
Bailey/Buendia  Watkins/Ings  Coutinho/Ramsey

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2022, 10:42:19 AM »

Martinez
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho
Yes, I'd like to see something like this, but I feel you need two more defensively minded players in the double pivot, so think Luiz would be a better bet than McGinn.  I guess it's unliely as it would also restrict Ramsey's gametime.

I think I'm just trying to squeeze Buendia in to a starting line up as he's my favourite player and this seems the only likely way with Coutihno now inked in

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2022, 08:24:57 AM »

Martinez
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho
Yes, I'd like to see something like this, but I feel you need two more defensively minded players in the double pivot, so think Luiz would be a better bet than McGinn.  I guess it's unliely as it would also restrict Ramsey's gametime.

I think I'm just trying to squeeze Buendia in to a starting line up as he's my favourite player and this seems the only likely way with Coutihno now inked in

Ive been dying to see Beundia and Coutinhio in the same side. I know it hasn’t worked on one or two occasions, Arsenal at home back in March springs to mind, but there we’re other factors such as the whole team under performing and no proper CDM.

With the McGinn captain situation, i think its more unlikely now, although it could be with Traore looking like he might be bombed out, EmiB might be competing with Bailey for a starting spot.

I think the team for Bournemouth will be

Martinez

Cash.              Chambers. Carlos.          Digne

Kamara

Ramsey.         Mcginn

Bailey.                      Watkins.              Coutinhio

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »
I think that to get Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Watkins or Ings in the same team you have to have 2 solid defensive players in centre mid. Nakamba is one option but for the most part he's not that good, McGinn another but we know he's better further forward and Kamara the third who is untested as yet. Luiz and Sanson i wouldn't even entertain for that role, too lightweight. The best hope is that Kamara becomes the defensive mid we've been needing and that Nakamba finds the form he showed under Gerrard until he got injured. Then your leaving out the club captain. I just don't see it, unless we buy someone who's excellent at it to go in with Kamara and not play McGinn.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2022, 09:47:04 AM »
I think that to get Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Watkins or Ings in the same team you have to have 2 solid defensive players in centre mid. Nakamba is one option but for the most part he's not that good, McGinn another but we know he's better further forward and Kamara the third who is untested as yet. Luiz and Sanson i wouldn't even entertain for that role, too lightweight. The best hope is that Kamara becomes the defensive mid we've been needing and that Nakamba finds the form he showed under Gerrard until he got injured. Then your leaving out the club captain. I just don't see it, unless we buy someone who's excellent at it to go in with Kamara and not play McGinn.
I think Luiz would be great in a double pivot role.  But it means leaving McGinn and Ramsey out, which just isn't happening.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2022, 09:47:13 AM »

Martinez
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho

Martinez

Kamara

Ramsey.         Mcginn

I think so too, other than he might keep Mings in for Chambers. Based on current squad.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2022, 09:52:04 AM »

Martinez
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho

Martinez

Kamara

Ramsey.         Mcginn

I think so too, other than he might keep Mings in for Chambers. Based on current squad.
Think this is the line up well see for the first few games.  Think he use the 5 subs to give Emi2 and Luiz plenty of game time too

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2022, 09:58:09 AM »
I think Luiz would be great in a double pivot role.  But it means leaving McGinn and Ramsey out, which just isn't happening.

Luiz is one of those who is decent with the ball, so useful when we have plenty of possession but weak when we haven't got the ball and like a passenger. Against the teams with good ball retention he's a bit pointless, even more so if they're quick and aggressive. He's like most of our centre mids, decent footballer who needs to play further forward to have any chance of being effective, with a strong and quick player (or even two at times) sitting behind them.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2022, 10:09:51 AM »
Yet probably his best game was against Man City last season.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2022, 10:19:42 AM »
In terms of the home game i recall him being utterly dreadful first half when they were all over us, but we came out second half chasing the game and had a good go and he was excellent. In fact i remember it because i thought at the time that if he played like it for 80%+ of the time he'd be the first midfielder on the team sheet.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2022, 10:44:20 AM »

Martinez
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho

Martinez

Kamara

Ramsey.         Mcginn

Agree.

I can't see him dropping Mings for Chambers, especially having just taken the captaincy away from him.

The 'kick a man when he's down' phrase comes to mind.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2022, 12:31:15 PM »

Martinez
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho

Martinez

Kamara

Ramsey.         Mcginn

Agree.

I can't see him dropping Mings for Chambers, especially having just taken the captaincy away from him.

The 'kick a man when he's down' phrase comes to mind.

I think the two things might be interrelated, in terms of Gerrard possibly planning to take Mings out for first few games, so retaining him as captain would make little sense. Would be harsh though.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2022, 03:35:09 PM »

Luiz is one of those who is decent with the ball, so useful when we have plenty of possession but weak when we haven't got the ball and like a passenger. Against the teams with good ball retention he's a bit pointless, even more so if they're quick and aggressive. He's like most of our centre mids, decent footballer who needs to play further forward to have any chance of being effective, with a strong and quick player (or even two at times) sitting behind them.
This was when all the defensive duties were on his shoulders.  His defence isn't that bad, he's just not cut out as a lone 6.  I think in a two with Kamara he would be very good.  And playing in a two gives more opportunity to step forward, just like Rice and Soucek do.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2022, 04:16:31 PM »

Martinez
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho

McGinn has proven routinely that he isn't suited to that deep role. That's not to say Gerrard wont try it again, mind but McGinn isn't suddenly going to be able to get him bum roll working against better players nor execute successful passes from deep. Coutinho was really poor when he played anywhere but no.10 last season, it's Buendia's best position too but would make a better fist of it coming in off the left I think.

We are looking at a shoe horn job no matter what way you look at it. 433 means no no.10, 4231 means McGinn most likely next to Kamara. Diamond four in midfield will see our full backs getting rinsed down the flanks and centre backs getting dragged over to cover.

If Luiz ends up staying, I think he'll end being a regular again at 8. He's a better footballer than given credit for on here.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2022, 06:05:15 PM »

Martinez
                 Kamara.       McGinn
                 Buendia/Coutinho

McGinn has proven routinely that he isn't suited to that deep role. That's not to say Gerrard wont try it again, mind but McGinn isn't suddenly going to be able to get him bum roll working against better players nor execute successful passes from deep. Coutinho was really poor when he played anywhere but no.10 last season, it's Buendia's best position too but would make a better fist of it coming in off the left I think.

We are looking at a shoe horn job no matter what way you look at it. 433 means no no.10, 4231 means McGinn most likely next to Kamara. Diamond four in midfield will see our full backs getting rinsed down the flanks and centre backs getting dragged over to cover.

If Luiz ends up staying, I think he'll end being a regular again at 8. He's a better footballer than given credit for on here.

Indeed, I’m still pinching myself that we are able to field 3 top Brazilians in our team now!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal