collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279323 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #630 on: October 05, 2022, 10:48:58 AM »
Stand alone looks like a sponsor logo. Round badge looks like a proper badge. Just pick that and stop with this consultation bollocks.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #631 on: October 05, 2022, 10:53:01 AM »
For traditionalists a reminder that a stand alone lion would give a nod to the 1969 shirt

And the 71 shirt & cup shirt

So as well as probably being the most modern and stylish solution, we can show we're not just copying the Spurs and Liverpool approach.

I'll be pissed off if a stylised 'lamp' makes the short list above this.

That looks crap.

I'm actually a fan of that, I think it looks ace.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #632 on: October 05, 2022, 11:10:19 AM »
CD

I'm not advocating that exact lion.  I'm just saying it's in our history and I think a revamped stand alone lion will look excllent.

You obviously love the round badge and it will alomost certainly win any fan vote.  But for me the club is more than the 1982 success.  The lion defines our crest and our identity.  In my view it is the key element for our crest, not a couple of concentric circles.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #633 on: October 05, 2022, 11:15:47 AM »
I don't only want the round badge because it was what we wore when we won the European Cup, but because it is the best badge. It doesn't look like a sponsor's logo and is clearly a Villa badge. The fact that we achieved our greatest success while wearing our best badge is a happy coincidence.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #634 on: October 05, 2022, 11:30:05 AM »
When we first introduced a badge in 1957 we won the FA cup. The 70s Lion on its own saw a rebirth of the club and then the round badge seen 2 league cups and a European cup win.  The striped shield badge seen two League cup wins.  We've won nothing with the current badge and it's had a good innings but it needs to be binned.  I'd happily take the first or the round badge as they are. This talk of lamposts/lanterns is a major worry though. 

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #635 on: October 05, 2022, 12:17:20 PM »
"We're losing with a lamppost on the corner of our shirt...oh me, oh my!" Tra la la.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #636 on: October 05, 2022, 01:23:38 PM »
The 70s Lion on its own saw a rebirth of the club

The "70s Lion" started in 1969, assuming chrisw's info above is correct. We were relegated to the Third Division wearing it. Sure, we got promoted under it, too, but crediting said lion for our success is like giving Liz n' Kwasi credit for the pound recovering a bit in the last few days. It ignores the fact they fucked it up in the first place 😁

Offline luke95

« Reply #637 on: October 05, 2022, 01:35:07 PM »
The lamppost post idea isnt sp bad.

Victorian lamppost shade shape badge, with a Lion & Aston Villa written above the Lion within the lamp.

Defo no star tho

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #638 on: October 05, 2022, 01:51:35 PM »
It might have been said, but if we have the lamppost design then I imagine the dickhead fans of other clubs will quickly have images of fans (or a wolf or whatever if it is part their badge) pissing against the lamppost.

Not sure it is a good idea to give them that open goal.

Also, I'm all in favour of reflecting our unique history, though I've never seen why a lamppost is so prominent in that. I know the story, but surely the point is some blokes involved in a bible class met and formed Aston Villa, not that they stood under a gas light.

An update on the round badge for me. UTV

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #639 on: October 05, 2022, 02:10:46 PM »
I don't think it will be an actual lampost, just the shape of the shield would be based on it (I presume).  Even so, the lampost thing just feels like it's trying too hard.  A marketeer running away with things after a suggestion from some clever fan.  Having listened to David Michael (MOMS podcast) talking about the process, I know he was pushing for a 'creative solution' I hope this isn't it.  A bit like the Holy Trinity effort, you end up with a mess.

I don't know why I'm getting worked up - the round badge will win by a landslide.  A bit of a missed opportunity for me, but there you go.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #640 on: October 05, 2022, 02:16:55 PM »
I don't think it will be an actual lampost, just the shape of the shield would be based on it (I presume).  Even so, the lampost thing just feels like it's trying too hard.  A marketeer running away with things after a suggestion from some clever fan.  Having listened to David Michael (MOMS podcast) talking about the process, I know he was pushing for a 'creative solution' I hope this isn't it.  A bit like the Holy Trinity effort, you end up with a mess.

I don't know why I'm getting worked up - the round badge will win by a landslide.  A bit of a missed opportunity for me, but there you go.
Agreed.

If it is the case that the shield/badge is based on the shape of a lamppost then they are certainly trying to hard.

A new identity that needs to be issued with notes explaining the design is a certain sign that it's not great. UTV

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #641 on: October 05, 2022, 02:38:04 PM »

Agreed.

If it is the case that the shield/badge is based on the shape of a lamppost then they are certainly trying to hard.

A new identity that needs to be issued with notes explaining the design is a certain sign that it's not great. UTV

Yeah, I think it would end up either unrecognisable as a lamp, or worse, would look like our lion was tiny and had become trapped like some kind of feline moth.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #642 on: October 05, 2022, 02:42:59 PM »
"We're losing with a lamppost on the corner of our shirt...oh me, oh my!" Tra la la.

Our new motto

Turned out nice again aint it

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #643 on: October 05, 2022, 03:03:46 PM »
For what it’s worth, I think Bradford have done a good job with their new crest, even though it features a star (1911 Cup win)

https://images.app.goo.gl/yuUwK3UBNB9kDMyG9

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #644 on: October 05, 2022, 03:05:09 PM »
For what it’s worth, I think Bradford have done a good job with their new crest, even though it features a star (1911 Cup win)

https://images.app.goo.gl/yuUwK3UBNB9kDMyG9

The bantam looks like he doesn't take much shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal