collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 277812 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #300 on: June 30, 2022, 07:19:47 PM »
Finally, a proper lion!

Offline Si

« Reply #301 on: June 30, 2022, 07:29:43 PM »
Finally, a proper lion!
Totally agree. I never understood why the Lion got toned down to a kitten.

Offline Weedy

« Reply #302 on: July 01, 2022, 01:13:43 AM »
Old red lion on black in roundel and shield:

NB. this is from 2016:
http://www.designersjournal.net/news/the-claws-are-out-for-aston-villa
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 02:25:11 AM by Weedy »

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #303 on: July 01, 2022, 08:17:38 AM »
Old red lion on black in roundel and shield:

NB. this is from 2016:
http://www.designersjournal.net/news/the-claws-are-out-for-aston-villa
I quite like that personally - the ones with the claret & blue roundel. Think they'd look properly smart, and would work in multiple formats (lion on it's own, lion with a roundel, lion with roundel & "Aston Villa" beneath it). It also crucially doesn't look like the multitude of other roundel badges.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #304 on: July 01, 2022, 09:19:27 AM »
Reading this thread I hope they just get on with it and don't take the fans' view into consideration. That's partly how we ended up with the Lerner disaster.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #305 on: July 01, 2022, 09:24:20 AM »
I hope they take the fan's view into consideration but not the fans' view. They should just ask me. I sorted it on about page one of this thread. For a hundred grand consultancy fee I am more than happy to re-state "just use the round one, FFS".

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #306 on: July 01, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
I agree Risso, hopefully they don’t use a self claimed designer who uses Publisher, Word or Gimp. They are the bane of my life with their so called print ready files, in doing so taking away my skills as a designer because they can do it themselves, making full use of Calibri, Comic and Chancery and their low resolution pixelated shite.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #307 on: July 01, 2022, 09:32:10 AM »
I hope they take the fan's view into consideration but not the fans' view. They should just ask me. I sorted it on about page one of this thread. For a hundred grand consultancy fee I am more than happy to re-state "just use the round one, FFS".

can I be your PA I am very cheap 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #308 on: July 01, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »
I'll throw you fifty quid if you're happy to do any actual work that might be required. Can't say fairer than that.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #309 on: July 01, 2022, 10:27:35 AM »
I agree Risso, hopefully they don’t use a self claimed designer who uses Publisher, Word or Gimp. They are the bane of my life with their so called print ready files, in doing so taking away my skills as a designer because they can do it themselves, making full use of Calibri, Comic and Chancery and their low resolution pixelated shite.

Harsh to lump gimp in there, used well that's a great tool for graphics work, I know a couple of designers who love it. The problem is that, because it's free, you get a lot of part-time wannabe designers using it wothout really knowing what they're doing.

Offline Weedy

« Reply #310 on: July 01, 2022, 10:49:26 AM »

Harsh to lump gimp in there, used well that's a great tool for graphics work, I know a couple of designers who love it. The problem is that, because it's free, you get a lot of part-time wannabe designers using it wothout really knowing what they're doing.

Like this you mean: https://dilbert.com/strip/2003-12-14

As a rank amateur, I've been messing about seeing what could be done, some of mine have been truly horrible.
I don't envy the designers, you just know that their brief boils down to "...a nod to the past, with eye to the future."
A quick search on google for "lion rampant club badge" for example, throws up hundreds of examples from classical shields to soccerball badges.

Hard to believe that the round badge was introduced nearly 50 years ago.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #311 on: July 01, 2022, 10:52:36 AM »
I use GIMP and mostly like it. So much that I donated to them. Some things about it are horrible though. For example, I wanted to design a (non-Hippo) new badge and the method for getting text to curve around a circle makes String Theory look like tying your shoelaces.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #312 on: July 01, 2022, 11:36:53 AM »
I use GIMP and mostly like it. So much that I donated to them. Some things about it are horrible though. For example, I wanted to design a (non-Hippo) new badge and the method for getting text to curve around a circle makes String Theory look like tying your shoelaces.

As long as both adults consent it's fine.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #313 on: July 01, 2022, 03:14:02 PM »
Here is my effort.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #314 on: July 01, 2022, 03:16:35 PM »
Went for simplicity, kept the current lion and went back to the round shape that everyone wants but left out the year and the writing that will just make it another round badge that so many clubs have.

It's claret and blue and has the gold lion rampant. That is instantly recognisable as Aston Villa imo. Don't need anything else.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal