collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mediocrity.  (Read 13260 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Mediocrity.
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2022, 04:45:34 PM »
The Football Club is being used by Purslow to achieve his own personal desires. Bringing in Steven and he looked like a child in a sweetshop when he announced Philipe to the "most dedicated of our supporters" at the awards night.

You're just peeved that Brazilian he's brought in is called Phil instead of Fred.

Offline wince

« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2022, 04:49:45 PM »
 Still think we will come good. I remember the 94-95 season and staying up on the last day. Then the following season, best time in my lifetime being a Villa fan. I’m sad it isn’t Deano with us and that it didn’t work out but I do feel good for next season. Other than first bit of season I never felt we would go down nor did I think we would get into Europe.

A frustrating season but we are still in top flight where we deserve to be

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2022, 05:16:42 PM »
The Football Club is being used by Purslow to achieve his own personal desires. Bringing in Steven and he looked like a child in a sweetshop when he announced Philipe to the "most dedicated of our supporters" at the awards night.

what do you want him to do? look like a miserable bastard?

Offline wince

« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2022, 05:54:05 PM »

what do you want him to do? look like a miserable bastard?
Don’t bother mate he is trolling harder than a limp bizkit tribute act

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2022, 06:14:33 PM »
Think that game sums up our mediocrity in last 20 years.

O.k it meant nothing to us and everything to Man. City but still.

We played great for 70 minutes and yet to implode like that afterwards is simply unacceptable whoever the opposition is.

And twice in six months given the same happened v Wolves is terrible standards so I think a few of them today have played themselves out of being a part of next few seasons in Gerrard's mind.

Given Liverpool won in the end I think he would relish kung fu kicking a few of them in the dressing room if he was allowed.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2022, 06:18:08 PM »

Offline Villan82

« Reply #126 on: May 22, 2022, 06:19:27 PM »
Collapsing at home to Wolves with 10 minutes to go is one thing. Collapsing away to Shitty when they need a win to win the title is another. Maybe some perspective is needed?

*runs for cover*

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2022, 06:20:16 PM »
Collapsing at home to WOlves with 10 minutes to go is one thing. Collapsing away to Shitty when they need a win to win the title is another. Maybe some perspective is needed?

*runs for cover*

Yeah, they are two different things entirely.

Only, we managed both of them.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2022, 06:35:06 PM »
Collapsing at home to Wolves with 10 minutes to go is one thing. Collapsing away to Shitty when they need a win to win the title is another. Maybe some perspective is needed?

*runs for cover*

For it to happen twice in six months under different managers simply cannot be acceptable if we ever want to be a serious team in prem again otherwise you just accept low standards.

Today we could've signed off on a disappointing season on a relative high. Instead we pretty much s**t ourselves when they got it back to 1-2.

We used to do this most seasons against the other Manchester team of course.

Think back to mid 90s and we had the backbone to go to the best teams like Man. United and grind out 0-0s. And indeed come back from 2 down v Arsenal in the league cup SF. Under O'Neill we had a decent record against the five teams that regularly finished above us back then aswell.

If we want to be serious team in premier league again in feature we simply have to stand up at these moments given we were 2 up with 15 minutes left and by their very high standards Man. City had played a terrible game up to then. I'm not really convinced other teams around us in league like Newcastle or Brentford would've folded in similar situation.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2022, 07:31:22 PM »
Newcastle got humped 5 here a few weeks ago.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2022, 07:35:52 PM »
Newcastle got humped 5 here a few weeks ago.

Different context.

I meant if one of those teams had gone 2 up today. For example Palace went 2 up at Man. City in late October.....and won 2-0. They also held Man. City 0-0 at home to prove it wasn't a fluke. And finished above us.

We're just a nearly team in these scenarios I'm afraid too often and that gets reflected in the league position at the end of the season.

Hopefully it changes some day but we need to sign players who relish being 2 up v teams like Man. City and don't get scared of winning.

As much as he feels too old now Suarez has that type of mentality and that sort of character would be huge in these type of games next season to rattle opposition and do the dirty stuff necessary to get us over the line.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2022, 07:36:48 PM »
huge lack of leaders in this squad isn't helping us be as average as we are

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2022, 07:37:05 PM »
But they weren't 2-0 up. And they got battered, 5. In fact they conceded a few goals after 90 minutes, so yes there is a different context. They were shite and weren't playing against the best side in the country in their most important game of the season.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2022, 07:37:25 PM »

*runs for cover*

For it to happen twice in six months under different managers simply cannot be acceptable if we ever want to be a serious team in prem again otherwise you just accept low standards.

Today we could've signed off on a disappointing season on a relative high. Instead we pretty much s**t ourselves when they got it back to 1-2.

We used to do this most seasons against the other Manchester team of course.

Think back to mid 90s and we had the backbone to go to the best teams like Man. United and grind out 0-0s. And indeed come back from 2 down v Arsenal in the league cup SF. Under O'Neill we had a decent record against the five teams that regularly finished above us back then aswell.

If we want to be serious team in premier league again in feature we simply have to stand up at these moments given we were 2 up with 15 minutes left and by their very high standards Man. City had played a terrible game up to then. I'm not really convinced other teams around us in league like Newcastle or Brentford would've folded in similar situation.

I think we’ve gained 4 points out of 42 against the top 7 teams. All points against Man U. Pathetic

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2022, 07:49:23 PM »
huge lack of leaders in this squad isn't helping us be as average as we are

I thought Mings was great today for most of the game. He lead by example.

Think Martinez would've made a difference aswell and may have tipped one of the goals around the post.

Last quarter of today just showed how lightweight and brittle our midfield can be when it comes to the crunch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal