collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mediocrity.  (Read 13281 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Mediocrity.
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2022, 03:26:52 PM »
There just seems to be something about the Villa over the past twenty years that drags everyone down who comes into contact with us. Even when O'Neill was spending big, the football was rarely more than workmanlike.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2022, 03:34:48 PM »
That was his method. At least now we see flashes of brilliance. It's not the consistent mediocrity (at best) of our pre-relegation years.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2022, 03:59:57 PM »
So many points off the top 4 this season. Yep we will make changes this summer but so will everyone else. We are 14th and 2 additional players won't put us 4th. We have a few world class players and a lot of 14th in the league players. If I had to pick our best 11 players I could have a stab at it but ask me to pick the best 11 team players who could play in certain system or shape and I would be struggling and I think that's where Gerrard finds himself.We just don't seem to he the sum 9f our parts.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2022, 04:40:56 PM »
Players who I think could get a decent amount of game time in a top 6 team:

Martinez
Digne
Ramsey
McGInn
Coutinho
Buendia

Ramsey is still a bit raw and McGinn can be hit and miss, but I can see both doing a job at the likes of Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd and think both would benefit from better players around them.

Lots of work to do.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2022, 04:59:20 PM »
As I said after beating Arsenal in 2020.

Then tonight happened. Because no matter how much you try to pretend you don’t care anymore, sooner or later you realise that you’re only fooling yourself. It doesn’t matter what the level, how good, bad or indifferent, or ‘ow many times they break yer ‘eart, once they’ve got you, you’re theirs for life. They can make you feel like you’ve just been kicked in the guts repeatedly (often), or looking for the nearest bridge to jump off (sometimes), but no matter how many times that happens, it’s all worth it for nights like this.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2022, 05:01:05 PM »
Players who I think could get a decent amount of game time in a top 6 team:

Martinez
Digne
Ramsey
McGInn
Coutinho
Buendia

Ramsey is still a bit raw and McGinn can be hit and miss, but I can see both doing a job at the likes of Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd and think both would benefit from better players around them.

Lots of work to do.
My take too, although I might add Matty Cash to the list.

Think either way we're about ten players off being able to really put the willies up the top 6 sides. Probably 3-4 seasons of strong recruitment. Tho Europe might be achievable before then, think we could catch up West Ham next season, but the gap above them is far larger than it currently looks.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2022, 05:01:55 PM »
I hate to say this, but being honest, we've been mediocre for way more than ten years. More like thirty. Not that I care, but I think the general public's consensus of Villa would be a middling, do-nothing club, because a whole generation has grown up with us being also-rans. I'm not sure how to change that.

Saying that, in this timeframe we've lost more cup finals than some clubs will see forth-rounds.
Not 30 years but close. 1996 was a very competitive season end for us. Won the League cup, semi final of the FA cup and 4th place in the League. it was the "love it" season but after that Doug decided to prune us down a little like his roses and restricted the fertiliser and here we are.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2022, 05:09:02 PM »
There just seems to be something about the Villa over the past twenty years that drags everyone down who comes into contact with us. Even when O'Neill was spending big, the football was rarely more than workmanlike.

I think the promotion season and then the first two back in the Prem were some of the most optimistic I've been in that timeframe. The whole club was united behind a common cause with Villa men as captain and manager. Ratboy leaving has had a serious effect on the club's morale as a whole I think. We need new heroes.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2022, 05:32:28 PM »
As I said after beating Arsenal in 2020.

Then tonight happened. Because no matter how much you try to pretend you don’t care anymore, sooner or later you realise that you’re only fooling yourself. It doesn’t matter what the level, how good, bad or indifferent, or ‘ow many times they break yer ‘eart, once they’ve got you, you’re theirs for life. They can make you feel like you’ve just been kicked in the guts repeatedly (often), or looking for the nearest bridge to jump off (sometimes), but no matter how many times that happens, it’s all worth it for nights like this.

Totally.  Like the most beautiful woman you have ever seen. You can't forget them or get over them.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2022, 05:46:20 PM »

We need new heroes.

Very much this.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2022, 05:55:36 PM »

We need new heroes.

Very much this.
Exactly - I think this is why I and many other have found this season frustrating - we thought we had our new hereos and there gone

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2022, 06:17:32 PM »
I'm convinced we will improve in the coming season's if West Ham can challenge the top six then so can we.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2022, 06:41:32 PM »
I hate to say this, but being honest, we've been mediocre for way more than ten years. More like thirty. Not that I care, but I think the general public's consensus of Villa would be a middling, do-nothing club, because a whole generation has grown up with us being also-rans. I'm not sure how to change that.

Saying that, in this timeframe we've lost more cup finals than some clubs will see forth-rounds.
Not 30 years but close. 1996 was a very competitive season end for us. Won the League cup, semi final of the FA cup and 4th place in the League. it was the "love it" season but after that Doug decided to prune us down a little like his roses and restricted the fertiliser and here we are.

Brian Little would tell you that the money was there, he just bought the wrong players. I think history has shown that the big mistake was appointing John Gregory; however well you may or may not have thought he did, a bit more imagination from all concerned could have been massive.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2022, 08:23:20 PM »
Breaking our transfer record two seasons in a row with Sasa Curcic and Stan Collymore were huge mistakes. We totally lost momentum and although we signed some good players between 98 and 2002 we also lost quite a few. Doug then pretty much gave up by 03 and took 3 years to sell us.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2022, 10:51:15 PM »
Breaking our transfer record two seasons in a row with Sasa Curcic and Stan Collymore were huge mistakes. We totally lost momentum and although we signed some good players between 98 and 2002 we also lost quite a few. Doug then pretty much gave up by 03 and took 3 years to sell us.

They were two absolute disasters. Should he have put a bit more faith in Milosevic at the time instead of going all out for Collymore? Arsenal signed Vieria the same summer we got in Curcic!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal