collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mediocrity.  (Read 13248 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Mediocrity.
« on: May 19, 2022, 09:55:48 PM »
It sometimes feels like we're never getting away from it.

14th place, barring a miracle of miracles, how many of us would have fancied that at the start of the season (remember we were laughing at the idea of taking ESR from Arsenal?). A decade of not finishing in the top half of the premier league.

It isn't Gerrard's fault at all, but it's a mindset at the club that we need to struggle away from, and I am not sure how long it is going to take us to achieve that.

Or if we ever will.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Mediocrity.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 09:56:59 PM »
Is this the post-match thread?

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 09:57:02 PM »
We've got too many mediocre players.This will be addressed I'm sure.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 09:58:08 PM »
Is it maybe that we are using the wrong definition of mediocrity, and that really, we've got a load of players who really aren't as good as we might have thought they were?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 09:58:30 PM »
It’s a weird one, like tonight we were the better side but lacked precision. I think you’re right that it’s a mentality thing and we need to break it. You look at the attacking talent on the pitch at the end, we should be consistently scoring more goals.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 09:59:11 PM »
I hope Gerrard is as good as he thinks he is because we are full of mediocrity, benevolence and lacking in guts and he needs to alter the look of the club.  Our motto is Prepared.  Needs changing to 'just happy to be here'.   I wouldn't care one bit if most of these players don't play at Villa Park next season.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 09:59:16 PM »
Is it maybe that we are using the wrong definition of mediocrity, and that really, we've got a load of players who really aren't as good as we might have thought they were?
Sorry,that's too Albert Camus for me

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 10:00:25 PM »
It’s a weird one, like tonight we were the better side but lacked precision.

Absolutely, this is what I mean.

We watch a match like that and we see the positives (in the context of what we are used to) but ultimately, we've just failed to beat a side who are probably going down, at a time when we have no pressure on us.

It is the acceptance of the pedestrian that has built up over 10 years. Ten entire years.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 10:01:00 PM »
Not Gerrard's fault at all?  2 home wins in 11 (I think that's what Sky said) I think he has to take some blame for that shocking record.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 10:01:23 PM »
Is this the post-match thread?

Pope - man of the match.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 10:02:34 PM »
Two wins in the last ten games is not good enough. The money that has been spent and yet we do not look even close to a team. We have a group of players some with a lot of talent but there is no structure about the way we play. I looked at the Burnley supporters faces toward the end and thought how many times have we been there, fighting for survival.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 10:02:47 PM »
No intensity, desire, will or want.

Mediocrity is the word.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 10:03:42 PM »
Not Gerrard's fault at all?  2 home wins in 11 (I think that's what Sky said) I think he has to take some blame for that shocking record.

He is just the latest bringer of mediocrity. The problem runs way deeper than a manager with half a season under his belt.

I wonder how Sawiris and Edens feel, pouring hundreds of millions into this and seeing shite like tonight (and, let's be totally honest here, tonight was miles off being one of our worst showings, but was still half hearted crap).

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 10:05:41 PM »
I hate to say this, but being honest, we've been mediocre for way more than ten years. More like thirty. Not that I care, but I think the general public's consensus of Villa would be a middling, do-nothing club, because a whole generation has grown up with us being also-rans. I'm not sure how to change that.

Saying that, in this timeframe we've lost more cup finals than some clubs will see forth-rounds.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 10:05:55 PM »
There are a lot of international players in the squad, so not too sure the mediocre ones are.

Martinez, Mings, Digne,Coutinho, Luiz, Ings, Watkins all have played at the highest level and for highly ranked nations.

Add Cash, McGinn, Ramsey (England U21) Olsen, Traore etc for lesser nations in the FIFA Rankings or U21, and I don’t see too many poor quality players.

Getting them to gel and play consistently together seems to be the issue rather than individual player quality.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal