collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: End of an era  (Read 2906 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
End of an era
« on: May 04, 2022, 11:31:21 AM »

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: End of an era
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 11:37:22 AM »
Well that's a depressing read!

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 11:44:57 AM »
That cheered me up.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 12:05:32 PM »
As much fun as drowning.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 12:24:53 PM »
The amount of money spent on sports stadiums in Texas is ridiculous.

Not just the demolition of a perfectly fine 20 year old ballpark as mentioned by John, but High School Football stadiums with 20,000 capacity and costing over $100m

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 12:28:29 PM »
The amount of money spent on sports stadiums in Texas is ridiculous.

Not just the demolition of a perfectly fine 20 year old ballpark as mentioned by John, but High School Football stadiums with 20,000 capacity and costing over $100m

I loved Simon Inglis's reply when asked what should be done with the Houston Astrodome - leave it for nature to reclaim, so that it can stand as a testament to its age, like the Colloseum has.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 12:41:18 PM »
I feel depressed now

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 12:57:46 PM »
The writer should keep coming; pre-match entertainment aside, the North Stand as it was and as it will be will just become part of the history of Villa. I wouldn't chuck it all in for that. There are no bad seats at Villa Park, front row, or not. Personally, I love the middle of the Doug, further back, as you get a sumptuous view of the full pitch.

Also, it sounds like the writer must have been there for Villa's lowest ebb, in the third division. We are finally for the first time in my lifetime attempting to make a decent fist of it, so stick around for that.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 01:21:52 PM »
The writer should keep coming; pre-match entertainment aside, the North Stand as it was and as it will be will just become part of the history of Villa. I wouldn't chuck it all in for that. There are no bad seats at Villa Park, front row, or not. Personally, I love the middle of the Doug, further back, as you get a sumptuous view of the full pitch.

Also, it sounds like the writer must have been there for Villa's lowest ebb, in the third division. We are finally for the first time in my lifetime attempting to make a decent fist of it, so stick around for that.

The writer's in his eighties and has a four hour round trip to every match. Sorry if he's being a bit nostalgic.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 01:34:13 PM »

I agree although I really get the yearning for past times. I think any real pre-match interest or entertainment is essentially what the individual can make of it, as the clubs have never or rarely provided anything of real interest.

I lost my favoured season-ticket seat when the Trinity Road was modernised, but then I was allocated one as near as possible to the old one, so I would hope the same principle applies to season-ticket holders in the North Stand.

At least we are doing something about the ground at last, whereas some clubs, like Palace and Bournemouth who have received the PL wealth do nothing or very little with antiquated or small stadia.

I also think that quite a lot of kids do get taken to games and enjoy the experience and come back for more, to replenish our support. They create and retain their own memories, but it's just of a different era as the writer acknowledges.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 03:23:11 PM »
I think the match day experience could be so much better.
They crank the music up which I think destroys the atmosphere, The Trinity looks like one of those Bed Warehouses with Cazoo instead of Beds Beds Beds splattered all over it. The bloody awful Dirge the team comes out to. The only time I have had a bad seat is at the Bottom of The Holte but was not terrible. I am surprised by the waiting list when i see the demographic of Villa Supporters at the game. I have taken my kids and various guests and they all love Villa Park.
The biggest problem for season ticket holders are the number of games played at very unsociable times.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 03:34:29 PM »
I’ve loved John’s memories for years, and appreciate the effort put into them.

Thank you John, and maybe the settee will inspire you!

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 03:39:55 PM »
I took my daughter to her first match and she got the bug. It has cost me a small fortune over the years and still does today even though she is 25. I meet her at the station and when I ask if she has the money for a ticket I always get....bit strapped for cash this week dad but I'll pay for the train tickets. We'll if a guard doesn't come round we don't seem to buy any but I must confess she learnt that trick off me. Into brum for something to eat and a few drinks and yes you've guessed it....a bit strapped for cash this week dad.
Then to the ground. Let's po in the villa shop dad..ohh I like that T-shirt can you lend me some money ? Some people's idea of lend is different to others idea of lend.
At the end of the game we go our separate ways and miraculously she discovers she has enough money to go down to digbeth to a rave.
Would I have it another way?   Nah...for all the expense the memories are priceless.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 04:22:50 PM »
I took my daughter to her first match and she got the bug. It has cost me a small fortune over the years and still does today even though she is 25. I meet her at the station and when I ask if she has the money for a ticket I always get....bit strapped for cash this week dad but I'll pay for the train tickets. We'll if a guard doesn't come round we don't seem to buy any but I must confess she learnt that trick off me. Into brum for something to eat and a few drinks and yes you've guessed it....a bit strapped for cash this week dad.
Then to the ground. Let's po in the villa shop dad..ohh I like that T-shirt can you lend me some money ? Some people's idea of lend is different to others idea of lend.
At the end of the game we go our separate ways and miraculously she discovers she has enough money to go down to digbeth to a rave.
Would I have it another way?   Nah...for all the expense the memories are priceless.

Haha, beautiful.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 04:25:53 PM »

The writer's in his eighties and has a four hour round trip to every match. Sorry if he's being a bit nostalgic.

I hope I didn't come off as disrespectful towards him. I certainly didn't intend that. Only that it'd be a shame to stop coming just as we're on the cusp of maybe doing something again. I wouldn't want him to miss anything. Nothing but respect to any supporter, but especially one who has obviously been part of the furniture at Villa for so long.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal