collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The undermining of Dean Smith  (Read 9420 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: The undermining of Dean Smith
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2022, 06:36:23 PM »
Re Targett - his coaching under Smith/Terry/ROK/Shakespeare etc. made a hitherto passive, physically weak full back who lived up to his name as being targeted by the opposition in every game (diagonals from the opposition to his side always made me wince) into a fit, strong and positionally excellent full-back after project restart.

Fair enough Gerrard doesn't rate him but there's no doubt the coaching Matt has received at Villa has added to his value enormously.
I can't fathom the reports that a pre-agreed fee with Newcastle is for less than/on a par with what we paid Southampton. He's still far off 30 so can't be an age thing. We should be pushing for £20m+ especially if it's from their laden pockets.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2022, 03:35:16 PM »
Re Targett - his coaching under Smith/Terry/ROK/Shakespeare etc. made a hitherto passive, physically weak full back who lived up to his name as being targeted by the opposition in every game (diagonals from the opposition to his side always made me wince) into a fit, strong and positionally excellent full-back after project restart.

Fair enough Gerrard doesn't rate him but there's no doubt the coaching Matt has received at Villa has added to his value enormously.
I can't fathom the reports that a pre-agreed fee with Newcastle is for less than/on a par with what we paid Southampton. He's still far off 30 so can't be an age thing. We should be pushing for £20m+ especially if it's from their laden pockets.
I agree, but I think the problem with selling players that clearly arent in your plans is you need to take the money when its there.

For example, AEG was probably worth 15m last summer, now well be giving him away

Offline LeonW

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2022, 03:40:52 PM »

I agree, but I think the problem with selling players that clearly arent in your plans is you need to take the money when its there.

For example, AEG was probably worth 15m last summer, now well be giving him away

This is the downside of loan deals for precisely that reason. If the club had agreed a set fee for Targett prior to his loan that would seem short sighted. Look at how Bournemouth got a major fee for Mings following his loan to us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal