collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The undermining of Dean Smith  (Read 9416 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The undermining of Dean Smith
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
I'm convinced Gerrard's profile was the biggest factor in him getting the job.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2022, 04:01:35 PM »
On reading the thread title, I keep thinking it's a sequel to The Taking of Pelham 123.

Gezundheit!

Online nigel

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2022, 04:05:12 PM »
The timing of the loss of his two assistants is still baffling.
I was hoping this might shine some light on that.
We will have to wait for Smiths memoirs I guess.

He’s to nice a bloke to start that.
I know the rumours going around at the time were saying Terry and O’Kelly encouraged Jack to leave, the owners were well p*ssed off and got rid.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2022, 04:08:20 PM »
O'Kelly was given the U23s coaching role, he didn't want it so walked.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2022, 04:24:16 PM »
Absolutely. Once again as in business world presentation won over substance.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2022, 04:36:05 PM »
We still do not know who was responsible for the shit show of a summer for which Smith ultimately paid the price with his job.

Buendia was obviously his signing, he said as much.

Wanted Smith Rowe for the other side and Ward Prowse, we'll never know how realistic either were but ultimately we spent time bidding for both.

Bailey was probably pushed by Lange but felt logical at the time given we wanted to improve on likes of Trez and AEG as credible counter attack options.

Ings was the odd one out I suspect. Signing came out of nowhere and in the early weeks you could see DS not really having a clue how to get him into the team with Watkins.

Get the feeling DS would've been happy going into the season with just a younger understudy to Ollie who could also play out wide so would imagine he was overruled there.

With the coaches going certainly odd timing to both. If O'Kelly was leaving you'd have thought straight after last game in May 2021. Terry was always going to move on sooner or later in fairness.
Yeah, I think Buendia makes perfect sense as a right-sided complement to Joe. I'd be inclined to think that maybe we still held up some hope of keeping him at that stage.

Bailey seems like a player who'd have been on our (Lange's?) radar, as you'd said he'd offer a tangible upgrade on Trez/AEG. Maybe Jack leaving was the catalyst for the move, but he does/did seem a logical signing.

Ings I think was a panic buy. We'd put so much in to Grealish as the front man of AVFC that losing him was akin to losing the club's identity (to the outside world). He was a bit like Michael Jordan, where even people with no interest in basketball would recognise him, and therefore buy various tat (trainers, shirts, basketballs, whatever) with his name on.

We went out and got the highest profile signing available, which was Danny Ings, in an attempt to "replace" Jack as the face of the club.

I'm also convinced (maybe incorrectly) that it's also a big factor in Gerrard coming to the club - he's a recognisable face and will, whether we like the idea or not, raise the profile of the club outside of our traditional catchment area. Coutinho fits in the same bracket, he'll reach people who have a less 'tribal' interest in football than we do.
Yeah I think commercially being Steven Gerrards Aston Villa works.  Like wise with Ohil - the club is clearly hugely ambitious - It’s not though the same as there is no story behind it.

Offline ez

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »

It's difficult to think of anything else it could have been.

Offline Beard82

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2022, 04:38:22 PM »
Brilliant read. I agree with earlier posters pointing to the Wolves game as a turning point - I remember the sense of inevitability when they equalised across social media and so it proved. It was like watching the tank finally empty.

The coaching team exodus was almost exactly the opposite of the feeling when Shakespeare came in. At that time I thought, 'wow, that's a brilliant move' and so it proved to be, in its own limited mid-table way. When O'Kelly left, it was with a sense of creeping unease.
Yeah agree - everything about this summer had a sense of being a bit rushed.  Think there is more to what happened this summer and maybe one we’ll know

Offline Beard82

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2022, 04:52:28 PM »
Interesting if true. You tell 'em, Nas!
But if he was made to leave wouldn’t we sack him rather than him leaving with best wishes?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2022, 05:13:12 PM »

I’m sure it had a lot to do with it. And as we all probably concede players like Coutinho aren’t rolling in without someone of that level of reputation and connection. But it’s not make it like Gerrard did a Dwight Yorke; simply wanted a job based on who he was. He had coached at Liverpool and managed at Rangers and stepped up to a mid table PL team. Not the wildest of leaps. Not like we appointed him as a side top 6 and consistently in European competition.

Offline Beard82

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2022, 05:28:21 PM »

I’m sure it had a lot to do with it. And as we all probably concede players like Coutinho aren’t rolling in without someone of that level of reputation and connection. But it’s not make it like Gerrard did a Dwight Yorke; simply wanted a job based on who he was. He had coached at Liverpool and managed at Rangers and stepped up to a mid table PL team. Not the wildest of leaps. Not like we appointed him as a side top 6 and consistently in European competition.
Yeah exactly is was a calculated gamble and it with that come greater risks and reward

TBF The risk he’s handled ok- I don’t think he’ll get us relegated this season or next and he is attracting players we wouldn’t have otherwise

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2022, 05:47:06 PM »

His coaching team would have also played a big part in him getting the job though until now I'm struggling to see where their reputation comes from. The same can be said of Shakespeare, Craig. At the time I was really excited with the recruitment but as the season progressed I forgot about him.

Offline Beard82

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2022, 05:55:29 PM »

His coaching team would have also played a big part in him getting the job though until now I'm struggling to see where their reputation comes from. The same can be said of Shakespeare, Craig. At the time I was really excited with the recruitment but as the season progressed I forgot about him.
To be fair last season I thought we saw some real improvements - even on the bad runs we managers to grind out results against Leeds for example - and players like Targett and AEG seemed much improved - Matt in particular was excellent last season

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2022, 07:06:02 PM »
It was a crazy season, the first part you started to really dream as we were a joy to watch. Then January arrived and we looked half the team we were. You mentioned the away win at Leeds but a few days later in early March we lost to Sheff Utd to record their first win of the season.

Agree about Targett, he was pure class all season, AEG takes a mean penalty I'll give him that and yes we improved on the previous season but that wasn't difficult to do considering how poor we were after a great start. A lot has been said by Dean's former clubs and his 'feast or famine' and they're mainly right. Still love him though.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2022, 07:54:20 PM »
We still do not know who was responsible for the shit show of a summer for which Smith ultimately paid the price with his job.

Dean Smith.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal