collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by SoccerHQ
[Today at 12:09:05 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 12:08:38 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:07:48 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 12:06:48 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 27, 2024, 11:55:44 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[April 27, 2024, 11:48:51 PM]

Champions League Contention by curiousorange
[April 27, 2024, 11:38:28 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[April 27, 2024, 11:32:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa and the FA Cup - The Good, the Bad and the Buttock-Clenchingly Poor  (Read 1461 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Online Hillbilly

Excellent piece and brings back the wonder of the BFR years. I knew Glenn Whelan was old when he came to the Villa but old enough to have played for Liverpool in the early 90's? Maybe it's just a result of the love we feel for Glenn that he's our default Whelan but I suspect it was Ronnie.

Offline dcdavecollett

My apologies over the Whelan cock-up!

I must still be getting over that saved penalty...

Online Hillbilly

Hard to know which of the penalty or the cabbage was the most memorable part of that match!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
I went to the Spurs, Swindon, and Liverpool games that Liverpool game is the first time we played in that beautiful yellow strip.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
I attended all the games in that run and this has bought back some great memories:

- Appearing on Sky after the replay as they scanned the crowd at WHL. Our mate was a lecturer at Garrets Green College and wheeled in the TV/Video combination to show his students (he'd recorded the match)

- Getting the football special to Derby and getting off at the Rams Halt. This is without doubt the best game I have ever been to in 40 odd years watching us.

-Failing to find a pub in Swindon so we bought some cans from the nearby supermarket, while we bought various poor quality lager, Ginger Phil (RIP) manged to track down  a four pack of Mild. The local youths stoned the BBC outside broadcast hut post match.

- Sleeping on Witton lane to secure tickets for the match at Anfield. Having been dispatched to fetch some beer to the Aston Tavern two of us ended up part of the lock in. Which was nice.

I seem to remember both Bristol and Ipswich getting much bigger allocations for their games at Anfield than we did and when it was questioned a rather weak excuse about segregation was bought up.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
One way of dating a Villa supporter is to ask them what year they thought we should have won the cup. If they say anything else, bring up 1992 and if they're old enough they'll invariably change their mind.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
Many happy memories of that Cup run as I attended all but Spurs away with my Dad.
I shared my wrongful police "questioning" at Swindon away and  got my experience of it printed in H&V at the time.
I remember buying my copy at VP later in the season and shouting out "They've only gone and printed my f*****g Trevor Brooking story!!"
It was also a very special night at Derby away as that was some football match to witness live.
I felt privileged to get tickets for Anfield and was absolutely convinced that it was our year.
Great memories of the Cup run and a great piece to read.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal