collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by frank black
[Today at 08:22:53 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:07:23 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets by frank black
[Today at 08:22:53 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 08:18:17 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by purpletrousers
[Today at 08:11:29 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by ironmaidenmania
[Today at 08:10:05 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Nev
[Today at 08:09:15 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by frank black
[Today at 08:08:55 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:07:23 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by amfy
[Today at 08:03:58 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerrard In or Out?  (Read 157184 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Gerrard In or Out?
« Reply #900 on: April 24, 2022, 09:49:49 AM »
if we was in the middle of a normal patch of form, a few wins, draws and defeats then people would be saying that was a good solid point yesterday.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #901 on: April 24, 2022, 09:51:24 AM »
I thought we did ok yesterday - I thought he had a plan and it worked.  To some degree it looks like he is learning

I worry by how few of the players Gerrard seems to rate / trust (he uses the same players over and again), and rarely uses subs in any meaningful way

Our current form is 27 points from 21.  Dean has 24 from 21 - so we are tracking roughly the same for the last just over a season - i.e. lower middle half.

Hopefully a few key upgrades will help.  I cant see a complete overhaul as I cant see there are many we can sale, and I cant see us spending more than 100m - 150m, so I would see 5 or so the max coming in.

However we cut it, I think this last 12 months has done some damange in the short and medium term to our plan.  I think if we dont see us kick on next season it will be curtains for much of the current management structure.

All the clubs that have finished above us last season, have all got better or have plans in place - and newcastle have overtaken us as the "up and coming club"
The damage to our short and medium term plan drive up the M6.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #902 on: April 24, 2022, 09:55:53 AM »
Trouble is we're not in a normal patch of form and we were playing a team yesterday with one eye on their fixture in the week. We'd have approached yesterday in exactly the same way as they did if we were in their position. Besides a change was made by purslow in the interests of progress. We're currently struggling to demonstate that.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #903 on: April 24, 2022, 11:04:14 AM »
The midfield 3 were flat and compact yesterday. I think with Marv and then next season with a quality holding player, the 8s can't revert to type a bit more.

We still created chances, more than Leicester and had more attacking opportunities/territory than Spurs. Issue is, 2 chances fell to Bailey and he skied one, didn't get to the other and what Watkins created for himself he wasted.

No real issue with drawing away at a side about our level. If you're not going to win, don't get beat, a mantra we've not had for a few years now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 11:16:37 AM by Ads »

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #904 on: April 24, 2022, 11:10:29 AM »
Is Tim Iroegbemum a candidate for that quality holding player? Gerrard seems to rate him.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #905 on: April 24, 2022, 11:14:42 AM »
if we was in the middle of a normal patch of form, a few wins, draws and defeats then people would be saying that was a good solid point yesterday.
As I said yesterday on post match thread a point there, generally, is very good and as we were not taking any risks post 4 defeats it is understandable why we didn't go for a win against an indifferent Leicester team. 

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #906 on: April 24, 2022, 11:34:18 AM »
Is Tim Iroegbemum a candidate for that quality holding player? Gerrard seems to rate him.

I still think we need to bring in a quality holding player but that doesn't mean Tim should miss out. We could play both at the same time in certain matches as long as they develop an understanding a bit like Rice and Phillips. Also rotation, injuries and cup games could give Tim plenty of game time.

To not strengthen that position we have been going on about for season after Season would be a massive mistake on the back of  hoping one our youngsters is going to be consistent.

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #907 on: April 24, 2022, 12:21:07 PM »
If Tim isn’t going to come on in games that we’re comfortably leading in or start games when there’s not much to play for (relatively) or crying out for players in his preferred position I can’t see him starting next season when we’ll be playing for something.
It’s  difficult situation when trying to blood younger players but if you give them a chance I think generally the fans would be more patient with the team as a whole.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #908 on: April 24, 2022, 12:21:14 PM »

I still think we need to bring in a quality holding player but that doesn't mean Tim should miss out. We could play both at the same time in certain matches as long as they develop an understanding a bit like Rice and Phillips. Also rotation, injuries and cup games could give Tim plenty of game time.

To not strengthen that position we have been going on about for season after Season would be a massive mistake on the back of  hoping one our youngsters is going to be consistent.

Cup games, do we still enter them?

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #909 on: April 24, 2022, 01:15:50 PM »

Technically yeah.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #910 on: April 24, 2022, 01:21:22 PM »
If Tim isn’t going to come on in games that we’re comfortably leading in or start games when there’s not much to play for (relatively) or crying out for players in his preferred position I can’t see him starting next season when we’ll be playing for something.
It’s  difficult situation when trying to blood younger players but if you give them a chance I think generally the fans would be more patient with the team as a whole.

The evidence is there. Yesterday he replaced Luiz and was an instant improvement so he starts next game for me on that basis. Likewise Bundia for PC.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #911 on: April 24, 2022, 01:31:30 PM »

Technically yeah.

I should have clarified just the 2 cup games that we will play.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #912 on: April 24, 2022, 01:44:41 PM »

The evidence is there. Yesterday he replaced Luiz and was an instant improvement so he starts next game for me on that basis. Likewise Bundia for PC.

He'll start with a very similar team again. Iroegbunam is still only 18, presumably he'll either be loaned out next season or he'll be making regular cameo appearances and continuing training with the first team until he starts looking like he's ready to start regularly.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #913 on: April 24, 2022, 06:47:29 PM »
We need to be in Europe to keep all the squad involved but the squad isn't good enough for a team in Europe. So...I dunno...

In a way, I hope we are hindered somewhat by FFP this summer. We're experts at buying expensive players who do shite for us and we can't offload for a decent fee.

Gerrard's got an army of coaches. Get them to harness the best out of the existing squad with a couple of top-drawer acquisitions i.e the fabled midfield-stopper and then get the fuck on with it and prove you can play as a good a game as you talk one.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #914 on: April 24, 2022, 06:48:56 PM »
Poch going to be on the market soon. 

Do you think he would come?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal