collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 03:14:36 PM]

Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 03:10:06 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 02:54:23 PM]

The Running thread by Risso
[Today at 02:48:29 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Si
[Today at 01:22:56 PM]

The Holte’s Last Stand by Stu82
[Today at 01:02:13 PM]

Championship Memories by Stu82
[Today at 12:57:32 PM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by thick_mike
[Today at 12:53:40 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 03:14:36 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 03:10:06 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 03:05:46 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 03:05:39 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 03:02:35 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 03:02:34 PM]

Re: Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 03:00:39 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Dazvillain
[Today at 02:59:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerrard In or Out?  (Read 157192 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Gerrard In or Out?
« Reply #705 on: April 19, 2022, 09:53:08 PM »
Saying Gerrard needs to go is hysteria of the very highest regard.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #706 on: April 19, 2022, 11:46:33 PM »

Yeah, wankers. Fancy giving up early!

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #707 on: April 20, 2022, 06:59:30 AM »
No ITK bullshit here - just my opinions.

As others have remarked, I’d prefer to be proven wrong and have to eat humble pie.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #708 on: April 20, 2022, 07:08:59 AM »
Gerrard doesn't need to go at all. He just needs to do a whole lot bloody better than he has of late.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #709 on: April 20, 2022, 07:15:02 AM »
Gerrard risks getting into a situation where the players decide his fate.
I am not sure how many defeats away the tipping point is, but lose the next 2 and he is in trouble.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #710 on: April 20, 2022, 07:34:04 AM »
The possibility that we could end up below Newcastle and Leeds by the end of the season is absolutely gut wrenching considering where we were relative to them a few weeks ago.

And then letting Gerrard loose with £100m or so in the summer !!?
I’m glad it’s not my money.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #711 on: April 20, 2022, 07:58:36 AM »
He seems to be becoming a worse manager with each passing  day and everytime another side play which is slightly odd considering we haven't played since April 9th.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #712 on: April 20, 2022, 08:03:14 AM »
He seems to be becoming a worse manager with each passing  day and everytime another side play which is slightly odd considering we haven't played since April 9th.

Maybe it’s because we’ve haven’t won since early March.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #713 on: April 20, 2022, 08:48:38 AM »

So the manager doesn’t win for a month and we want him out, or some do. Its a shite run of form, but all the teams around us, including Southampton, Brighton, Palace, up to Leicester who are ninth, have had numerous runs of form similar to this, this season. Newcastle happened to have most of their bad run in mostly one go for half a season. We finished one place, albeit 10 points clear of Newcastle last season, and behind Leeds, but its now both pre determined and disastrous that we’ll finish behind them both.
Apart from McLeish and the most recent relegation year, i honestly don’t remember a manager getting such a short period of grace. Without trying to patronise, anyone it really does feel that anyone other than a Steven Gerrard would get more leeway and I’m no Gerrard fanboy and wasn’t over excited about his appointment.
To counter the doom laden crystal ball merchants who are predicting imminent implosion over the next few weeks, i predict we’ll get the mythical thing called a draw at Leicester, followed by a win against Norwich and if its Burnley another win up there. There you go.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #714 on: April 20, 2022, 09:03:30 AM »
I think it's reasonable to say Gerrard could and should have done better with the squad at his disposal.  That doesn't necessarily mean people want him out, but the way the season has transpired is very dissapointing.

The one thing I would say though is it's not entirely his fault that we've missed loads of sitters and conceded several goals through individual errors.  Even so, he should have doen better. 

It doesn't help when people compare to Howe who has steered an excellent turn around with a far weaker squad and a bunch of signings most of us wouldn't have wanted anywhere near out team.  They have a difficult run it but I wouldn't bet against them finishing above us, which was unthinkable in Jan when we'd just signed Digne & Coutinho.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #715 on: April 20, 2022, 09:20:27 AM »
The one thing I would say though is it's not entirely his fault that we've missed loads of sitters and conceded several goals through individual errors.  Even so, he should have done better.

Surely the first sentence makes the second sentence overly critical?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #716 on: April 20, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »

So the manager doesn’t win for a month and we want him out, or some do. Its a shite run of form, but all the teams around us, including Southampton, Brighton, Palace, up to Leicester who are ninth, have had numerous runs of form similar to this, this season. Newcastle happened to have most of their bad run in mostly one go for half a season. We finished one place, albeit 10 points clear of Newcastle last season, and behind Leeds, but its now both pre determined and disastrous that we’ll finish behind them both.
Apart from McLeish and the most recent relegation year, i honestly don’t remember a manager getting such a short period of grace. Without trying to patronise, anyone it really does feel that anyone other than a Steven Gerrard would get more leeway and I’m no Gerrard fanboy and wasn’t over excited about his appointment.
To counter the doom laden crystal ball merchants who are predicting imminent implosion over the next few weeks, i predict we’ll get the mythical thing called a draw at Leicester, followed by a win against Norwich and if its Burnley another win up there. There you go.

No, I don’t want him out I just him to be better. It’s all just a bit underwhelming at the moment seeing teams like Brentford, Newcastle and Brighton above us in the table while we can’t buy a win and slip from comfortable mid table to having only Leeds and Everton between us and the relegation places.

As you say a win at the weekend will lift the mood considerably so fingers crossed we can reproduce the form we showed for 40 minutes against Spurs.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #717 on: April 20, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »
The one thing I would say though is it's not entirely his fault that we've missed loads of sitters and conceded several goals through individual errors.  Even so, he should have done better.

Surely the first sentence makes the second sentence overly critical?
Possibly.  But there's more to it than missed chances and notwithstanding the almost freakish nature of the Spurs game I still think with the squad we have he should have done better.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #718 on: April 20, 2022, 10:14:06 AM »
We've become more unbalanced and easy to play through since Digne signed.

It's even worse when Young has to fill in for him. That's on Gerrard. Left back wasn't a priority signing for us, but he made it so. You need to get the big calls right.

The biggest part of managing at any level is managing your resources. Targett -even if he was no longer a guaranteed starter - could still have been convinced if he felt there was a route back. Depending on formation, it wouldn't be unthinkable to have Digne wide mid on occasion with Targett at LB etc.

A season or two after he left, Gavin McCann said O'Neill made him feel like a million dollars and told him he was first name on the team sheet - right up until he sold him. That approach prob doesn't tally with Reo Coker and Curtis Davies's experiences, mind.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #719 on: April 20, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »
The one thing I would say though is it's not entirely his fault that we've missed loads of sitters and conceded several goals through individual errors. 

I think every manager who has had a bad run or been sacked would claim the same thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal