collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:52:50 AM]

Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:43:49 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:52:50 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by sid1964
[Today at 05:47:34 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:43:49 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gerrard In or Out?  (Read 157182 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Gerrard In or Out?
« Reply #1200 on: May 08, 2022, 12:58:15 PM »
I was away from football but I was told repeatedly in no uncertain terms we were brilliant first half v Spurs.

We were very good but very wasteful in front of goal

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1201 on: May 08, 2022, 01:00:20 PM »
I liked the way we played against Man City second half. Swashbuckling!

And Spurs at home first half. Absolutely destroyed them without erm, actually scoring. I maintain the biggest problem is that like every team outside the top 6, we're just frighteningly inconsistent. We're capable of playing some scintillating football but also being deeply rubbish. I think most of that is down to the inherent inconsistenices of the players rather than being a result of any overriding footballing philosophy.

Look at Brighton as a comparison, they lost 6 in a row during which time they only scored one goal, with Brighton fans calling for Potter's head.  Now they've won 4 out of 6, beating Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves and absolutely battering Man U. It's a funny old game.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1202 on: May 08, 2022, 01:01:17 PM »
I was very dubious about him when first appointed, and while some of those doubts still remain, he deserves a full season to see what he can do. It hasn't been all plain sailing by any means, but there's been enough to give encouragement
I'm in that position in the main. Not sure on a full season that has to depend on these remaining games and the first half of next season but certainly there's an intrigue for the summer and come new season we be of hope and encouragement.
Up the Villa

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1203 on: May 08, 2022, 01:03:37 PM »
I was away from football but I was told repeatedly in no uncertain terms we were brilliant first half v Spurs.

Yes couple of spurs friends told me if we had Son and Kane would have been 4-0 to us...  By half time!

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1204 on: May 08, 2022, 01:08:32 PM »

Yes couple of spurs friends told me if we had Son and Kane would have been 4-0 to us...  By half time!

Without a doubt

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1205 on: May 08, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »

Without a doubt

If the forwards we're swapped we'd have won about 8-0

Offline TonyD

« Reply #1206 on: May 08, 2022, 02:15:16 PM »

And Spurs at home first half. Absolutely destroyed them without erm, actually scoring. I maintain the biggest problem is that like every team outside the top 6, we're just frighteningly inconsistent. We're capable of playing some scintillating football but also being deeply rubbish. I think most of that is down to the inherent inconsistenices of the players rather than being a result of any overriding footballing philosophy.

Look at Brighton as a comparison, they lost 6 in a row during which time they only scored one goal, with Brighton fans calling for Potter's head.  Now they've won 4 out of 6, beating Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves and absolutely battering Man U. It's a funny old game.
The difference is Potter in those 4 games has managed to beat top half teams. 

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1207 on: May 08, 2022, 02:16:06 PM »
He's also been there a couple of years, not six months

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1208 on: May 08, 2022, 02:40:43 PM »
Do you get bonus points for beating certain teams?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1209 on: May 08, 2022, 02:43:44 PM »

Without a doubt

If the forwards we're swapped we'd have won about 8-0

Yeah but we love Ollie and Danny again now, right?

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1210 on: May 08, 2022, 02:43:54 PM »
Do you get bonus points for beating certain teams?

You should only get 2 points for beating Man U at the moment because it’s so easy.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #1211 on: May 08, 2022, 03:39:49 PM »
Before he joined I didn't want Gerrard, I didn't think he was experienced enough. However as soon as he arrived that became a pointless concern and, unlike some other managers, there was no great body of work to judge him on and decide to just hope he didn't last long (like with McLeish and Bruce who were never going to bring success and had resumes to prove it).

For me that means a blank slate and at least 1 full pre-season before he can be properly judged (barring a complete disaster which hasn't happened. I'd be interested to hear why people like CD, SE, etc haven't gone the same way. our performances and results haven't been as good as we'd like but they've also not been terrible and would, over a season, mean pretty much treading water from last year which would be a decent outcome after the summer we had.

What would he need to achieve to win you over and, given the results he's acheived aren't enough for him to be sacked what are your reasons for disliking him right now?

I agree with every word of this.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1212 on: May 08, 2022, 03:51:51 PM »
I wanted Dean Smith to succeed more than any other Villa manager ever, for reasons that are obvious to anyone who can remember back to what I wrote when he was appointed.

I didn't want him sacked ditto.

I was whelmed when Gerrard got the job.

He's done okay so far.

I still think we could have appointed better.

I want him to be so successful he makes Ron Saunders look like Billy McNeill.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1213 on: May 08, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »

The difference is Potter in those 4 games has managed to beat top half teams. 

Which means they must have lost to a lot of sides around them and below them. This whole beating the top six requirement is a red herring. We need to compete consistently against all teams we play against. We are where we are because we are inconsistent. But under Gerrard the overall form and points accumulated has been enough to see us a solid mid table side. We need to build from that so that against all teams next season and the top sides we are able to match and beat them when at our best.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1214 on: May 08, 2022, 06:17:05 PM »
I wanted Dean Smith to succeed more than any other Villa manager ever, for reasons that are obvious to anyone who can remember back to what I wrote when he was appointed.

I didn't want him sacked ditto.

I was whelmed when Gerrard got the job.

He's done okay so far.

I still think we could have appointed better.

I want him to be so successful he makes Ron Saunders look like Billy McNeill.

Achieve that Dave and he will have gone beyond legendary status.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal