collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A very interesting photo!  (Read 7795 times)

Offline Ivo Stas

A very interesting photo!
« on: April 09, 2022, 10:23:20 AM »
There's a fascinating black-and-white photo, captioned "Fans try to get a glimpse of the action at Villa Park, where Aston Villa suffered a setback against title rivals Ipswich" in this article in the Guardian today.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/apr/09/before-manchester-city-v-liverpool-six-other-key-games-in-title-races

Why are they all outside the ground? Presumably the game was a sell-out? Was standing on the grass there and watching a portion of the pitch a common occurrence back then? It seems like lots of fans have travelled to Villa Park to just do that - or no doubt it was pay-for-your-ticket-in-cash-at-the-turnstyle in those days and perhaps they just turned up too late to get in?

I reckon I can see a few black Villa fans back in 1982, which is quite heart-warming to see (considering some of the racist on pitch abuse black players suffered back then).

Getting my bearings, I guess that's the old Holte End that was demolished at the end of the 93-94 season if I remember correctly (I've got a "stood-on-the-Holte" certificate in the loft somewhere from the last game) so, next to it, that will be the old Trinity which went in 2000 I think.

I see only one scarf, possibly on a lady but with the hairstyles back then its hard to be sure. Talking of fashion, casting my eye over that Villa crowd, I'd give them all the thumbs-up :-)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 10:25:25 AM by Ivo Stas »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: A very interesting photo!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »
I was in the ground - yeah, walk up and pay; first come, first served. A beautiful sunny evening, with the return of the first Space Shuttle announced on the PA system at half-time (I think).
This was the Big Game of the season for both teams: we'd already lost twice at Portman Road (I think) earlier in the season, in the league and FA Cup.

Offline langleylions

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 10:59:00 AM »
i dont think that pic is the ipswich game , it was a night game wasnt it ? i'm sure thats from the euro cup game behind closed doors

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 11:05:25 AM »
It’s the Besiktas game in Sept 1982 behind closed doors. Think it was played in the afternoon rather than the evening. I do think there were probably fans there for the Ipswich and Albion games in April 81 as both were sell outs.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 11:15:29 AM »
We've had this debate a few times and I'm sure we decided it was Ipswich based on the bare trees and number of people milling around the ground.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 12:15:35 PM »
Pretty sure this photo is in Terry Weir's book which reminds me that I must dig it out. Fantastic archive of pictures in there

Offline langleylions

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 12:34:00 PM »
yeh your probably both right , i missed the ipswich game as i was on a school trip 🙄, glad i did in the end as i thought our chance had gone !!

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 12:51:34 PM »
If it's the Ipswich game I was on that bank overlooking the game.
I got locked out though my dad got into the game as he had a season ticket for the Holte.
I can remember getting into the ground with about 20 mins to go when they opened the exits. I still managed to see 2 of the 3 goals scored that night. The Holte was rammed.

Offline Rico

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 01:16:50 PM »
The Holte was indeed rammed that night. I've heard stories of an unofficial attendance of 65000. Don't know how true that was, but I've never been on the Holte when it was more packed.

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 01:32:51 PM »
I remember driving up from Southampton after work and just getting in before the gates closed. I thought that defeat was the end of our title chase. Thank God for Mr Saunders..

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 01:43:13 PM »
We got to the game over two hours before kick-off. I remember coming over the hill from Aston Hall and seeing a queue stretch right down the road and thinking we wouldn't get in. It was quite unusual to get much over 30k even in the championship season. The games v Blues, Liverpool, Albion and Ipswich were probably the only ones that got near a sell out. Don't think we even had 40k for the Boro game when we could have won the league.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2022, 01:59:46 PM »
This was the game where afterwards Ron Saunders Said ‘do you want to bet against us ‘ words I think

Offline Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2022, 02:35:18 PM »
It was a night game, but a 7.30ko and early April after the clocks had gone forward, would have meant there was still daylight around 8.00pm. It was a bright sunny evening as well. Got to the ground at 5.30 and took 40 mins to get in to the Holte. Remember the Space Shuttle message as well.
Pity about the result, but it did not mater in the end.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 02:52:40 PM »
The Holte was indeed rammed that night. I've heard stories of an unofficial attendance of 65000. Don't know how true that was, but I've never been on the Holte when it was more packed.

All the big games that season , Liverpool, Man u , Ipswich , Albion and Blues in the Holte were rammed. I used to stand down the bottom near the trinity, and for all them games (and probably more) all the gangways that you walked down or up to your usual spot were rammed and acted as part a viewing point for the Holte End. I am sure the attendances for these games were way higher than the official figures given, although 65,000 is going a bit . I know for a fact they were plus one as I used to double up with my little brother !

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 07:23:31 PM »
The official attendance against Ipswich was 47,495, so claims of 65,000  are stretching it a bit.

The only games with crowds of over 40,000 at Villa Park that season were:

Blues 41,101
Liverpool: 47,960
Man Utd: 42,182
West Brom: 47,998.

After losing to Ipswich we had crowds of:
34,707 - Forest and
38,018 - Boro.

Our average attendance for the whole season was only 33,641. The most poorly attended match was on August 30 1980 v Coventry City when a paltry 20,050 turned up to see Gary Shaw get the only goal in a 1-0 win.

The illusion that Villa Park waa rammed for every game is a myth.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal