collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret and Blue gasholders.  (Read 4159 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Claret and Blue gasholders.
« on: March 22, 2022, 11:41:59 AM »
They have started dismantling the massive claret and blue gasholders at Windsor Street. Absolute end of an era. The skyline of Aston/Nechells will never be the same.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Claret and Blue gasholders.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 12:37:18 PM »
Savages. They should have been given protected status, part of our industrial heritage.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 12:45:20 PM »
They've been gaslighting us for years about removing them.

Offline littleoldme

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 06:55:01 PM »
Used to fetch coke from Windsor Street in an old pram many year's ago, 66/67 thereabouts, was a nice diversion from everyday family crap, there was also a tyre repair/fitting place nearby, went there a few time's to get a plug put in one of the old man's tyre's, was cheaper than getting new.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 07:21:22 PM »
Used to fetch coke from Windsor Street in an old pram many year's ago, 66/67 thereabouts, was a nice diversion from everyday family crap, there was also a tyre repair/fitting place nearby, went there a few time's to get a plug put in one of the old man's tyre's, was cheaper than getting new.
You might have to explain what you mean by "coke" to the younger members on here  ;) used to get ours from the Crawford St depot. Good old days eh.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 07:36:52 PM »
They have started dismantling the massive claret and blue gasholders at Windsor Street. Absolute end of an era. The skyline of Aston/Nechells will never be the same.
that's a shame.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 11:27:17 AM »
that is a shame I love seeing them when I come to Villa Park.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 11:31:30 AM »
No strong feeling on the dismantling of the gas holders but I do think it's unfortunate that this thread is showing up in the H&V Index as "Re : Claret and Blue gash..."

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 11:59:28 AM »
No strong feeling on the dismantling of the gas holders but I do think it's unfortunate that this thread is showing up in the H&V Index as "Re : Claret and Blue gash..."

Snigger.

Yes it does!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 12:21:43 PM »
I was trying to explain to my wife how those gasometer's have been such an integral part of my childhood, youth and adulthood perception of the skyline of Birmingham.  More iconic than the Rotunda imo.

Can someone more informed than me about these things explain what it is about the Burgher's of Birmingham past and present all seem to think it fit and proper to continuosly see fit to destroy our architectural and industrial heritage?

Online Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 01:01:21 PM »
Agreed, same as the IMI building that was demolished by Witton Island a few years back.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 01:06:38 PM »
I was trying to explain to my wife how those gasometer's have been such an integral part of my childhood, youth and adulthood perception of the skyline of Birmingham.  More iconic than the Rotunda imo.

Can someone more informed than me about these things explain what it is about the Burgher's of Birmingham past and present all seem to think it fit and proper to continuosly see fit to destroy our architectural and industrial heritage?

I’m guessing they are taking up a large piece of prime development land earmarked for regeneration.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 01:22:25 PM »

I’m guessing they are taking up a large piece of prime development land earmarked for regeneration.

I'm cynical enough to know that and also suggest (allegedly) not just a smidgen of corruption.  It has to stop!

Online Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 01:25:54 PM »
Think the old red brick IMI building at Witton had listed status as well, still got bulldozed🙁

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 05:26:48 PM »

I'm cynical enough to know that and also suggest (allegedly) not just a smidgen of corruption.  It has to stop!

Whilst they remind a few of childhood, they are no longer used, are of no architectural interest  and sit on a large piece of prime development land.

I’m not seeing a particularly good reason for not pulling them down, apart from the colours.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal