collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by KevinGage
[Today at 01:15:28 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by KevinGage
[Today at 01:15:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The next step - which players would you keep?  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
The next step - which players would you keep?
« on: March 21, 2022, 11:35:51 AM »
So after what is looking like a second successive season of a mid-table finish, which players would you keep, and who do you think needs replacing? I'm really talking about the senior players but include the kids if you like.

For me in the "keep" column:

Martinez
Cash
Digne
Mings
Konsa
Chambers
Ramsey
Coutinho
Buendia
Nakamba
Ings

Let go/replace:

Young
McGinn
Luiz
Bailey
Sanson
Traore
Watkins

I'd only hang on to Ings as I don't think they'd get rid of Watkins and Ings at the same time, and I'd actually like Sanson to be given a chance, but if he can't get a start ahead of McGinn and Luiz at the moment, then he never will.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: The next step - which players would you keep?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 11:45:32 AM »
I wouldn't put McGinn in there - I think he's struggling in the current formation right now, but that could change dramatically with a proper DM behind him.  I think it's too early to dismiss Bailey and Sanson, but I'd be happy to see an upgrade on the others.  Or rather, I'd like to see better players come in, and see those players moved to the bench/squad.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 11:47:44 AM »
I could see us going big for a DM and centre-forward in the summer, but assuming we sign Phil, I don't see us undertaking major squad surgery unless Gerrard is determined to shift some of those players.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 11:48:38 AM »
I think Bailey and Sanson (especially) deserve more of a chance.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
If we can get c.£75m for Luiz and McGinn (probably fanciful), sell.

Give Sanson a run between now and May and make a decision based on his performances. Get a physical phucker in the middle who can also play.

Replace one of Watkins/Ings for someone who can hold the ball-up and finish.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 12:08:18 PM »
Sell SJM? Some of you are crazy. Honestly, we would regret that. He seems to have become the latest scapegoat. With a proper DM behind him he would flourish.

Offline Risso

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 12:08:46 PM »
I think Bailey and Sanson (especially) deserve more of a chance.

I know he's not been here long, and in saying this he'll probably turn into prime Ronaldo, but I just don't get it with Bailey. He looks like a player with a few tricks in his locker and bugger all else. Most disappointing signing compared to his reputation in ages. I too think Sanson should get a chance but don't think he will.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 12:10:29 PM »
Sell SJM? Some of you are crazy. Honestly, we would regret that. He seems to have become the latest scapegoat. With a proper DM behind him he would flourish.

He isn't a scapegoat, he just isn't playing very well. He doesn't do nearly enough, and he looks well overweight which is unforgivable. What in his time here makes him so undroppable/unsellable?

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 12:12:15 PM »
He reminds me of (Adama) Traore.  Who is still at best inconsistent.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 12:12:53 PM »
From that list, Young, Luiz and Traore would go. Also AEG and Trezeguet on permanent deals (though of them I'd say that Trez probably fits Gerrard's system better as a right-sided midfielder tracking back to the right back position).

With Hickey, Phillips, Bissouma and Abraham to come in to replace them.

Offline Risso

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 12:14:02 PM »

With Hickey, Phillips, Bissouma and Abraham to come in to replace them.

That would do me quite nicely.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 12:14:12 PM »

He isn't a scapegoat, he just isn't playing very well. He doesn't do nearly enough, and he looks well overweight which is unforgivable. What in his time here makes him so undroppable/unsellable?

If he's overweight, do you really think Gerrard would play him?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2022, 12:21:04 PM »
I find it really odd that Sanson isn't getting a game.  I guess Gerrard just doesn't fancy him but from what I've seen when he has played he looks like he could do a job.  I agree with Risso I don't think he will get a chance and I guess he'll move on in the summer.  I also think Luiz will move on too.

Nakamba did look good for a few games, but seems to have turned into prime Kante since he's been injured.  This is a player most people on here felt wasn't good enough for 2 seasons.  I quite like him as a squad option, but I think people counting down the days until is return may be a bit dissapointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Watkins moves on.  It just doesn't feel right for him at the moment.  Would be a big gamble if we don't get a replacement in, I'm not sure we should put that much weight on Archers shoulders just yet.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2022, 12:22:19 PM »
I accept McGinn isn't always firing on all cylinders but he can be outstanding and a match winner.

The year we got promoted we saw how hard it is to buy players with premier league experience, and our lack of premier league experience almost relegated us. Therefore, how do we replace a dynamic midfielder in his prime who has 82 premier league appearances without having to pay north of £60m? And even then there is no guarantee we could get better. And let's not go taking a punt on somebody who has to get 'up to speed'.

I firmly believe we need to keep what we have now in terms of the first 14-15 players in the squad and use whatever money we have for the final pieces of the jigsaw - Defensive midfielder and more cover at full back.

Offline Risso

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2022, 12:57:06 PM »
I accept McGinn isn't always firing on all cylinders but he can be outstanding and a match winner.

The year we got promoted we saw how hard it is to buy players with premier league experience, and our lack of premier league experience almost relegated us. Therefore, how do we replace a dynamic midfielder in his prime who has 82 premier league appearances without having to pay north of £60m? And even then there is no guarantee we could get better. And let's not go taking a punt on somebody who has to get 'up to speed'.

I firmly believe we need to keep what we have now in terms of the first 14-15 players in the squad and use whatever money we have for the final pieces of the jigsaw - Defensive midfielder and more cover at full back.

In what way is he a match winner? In three years in the Premier League, all of his goals, every single one, have come in a defeat or a draw. He also doesn't score nearly enough. His three seasons so far have yielded 3 goals in each season. And if you're just going off Premier League appearances as a measure of quality, well Ashley Westwood has 144. If McGinn is in his prime, god help us, we won't be getting top half any time soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal