collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 796135 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #2385 on: June 24, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »
I don't think Luiz has ever done anything to suggest he's not an excellent professional.  He's played in what most of us assume is not his favourd role and seemingly got on with it as best he can.  I still thnk there's a really good player in there, but I suspect he won't get the gametime for us to to show it.  If we do get £30m then fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking on in a few years time thinking look at what we let go.

Alternatively if he choses to run down his contract, then fair enough.  We've just secured Kamara that way after all, so we can hardly question his character if he does the same.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2386 on: June 24, 2022, 10:22:53 AM »
I don't think Luiz has ever done anything to suggest he's not an excellent professional.  He's played in what most of us assume is not his favourd role and seemingly got on with it as best he can.  I still thnk there's a really good player in there, but I suspect he won't get the gametime for us to to show it.  If we do get £30m then fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking on in a few years time thinking look at what we let go.

Alternatively if he choses to run down his contract, then fair enough.  We've just secured Kamara that way after all, so we can hardly question his character if he does the same.

It's a fair point, he's a young kid and given the covid situation it can't have been easy for him, but he's kept his head down and got on with it.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2387 on: June 24, 2022, 10:50:17 AM »

Largely agree but he has had pretty much 3 seasons of game time already. OK he's been a young inexperienced player for, say, half of that but he hasn't really come on much as a player and for me the issue has always been that he lacks the physicality for the PL and hasn't got that bit of pace either to make up for it. He gets caught out a fair bit and opposition players by pass him. He'd probably be at his best a bit further forward in midfield and playing in a less physical and fast paced league like Spain or maybe even Italy.

If he stays though fine with me, or if he goes for a decent fee likewise.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #2388 on: June 24, 2022, 11:03:01 AM »
If you look at our central core - Mings, Konsa, Luis, and McGinn - all four have pretty much been our week-in/week-out starters for three Premier League seasons where we haven’t really done as well as we aimed for, and two of those were playing for us in the second tier.

For me, all of those players are ‘upgradeable’ as Gerrard calls it. If someone comes in for one with the right offer, and we have identified a better and attainable replacement, then I think we will see them move on.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2389 on: June 24, 2022, 11:25:11 AM »
If you look at our central core - Mings, Konsa, Luis, and McGinn - all four have pretty much been our week-in/week-out starters for three Premier League seasons where we haven’t really done as well as we aimed for, and two of those were playing for us in the second tier.

For me, all of those players are ‘upgradeable’ as Gerrard calls it. If someone comes in for one with the right offer, and we have identified a better and attainable replacement, then I think we will see them move on.

Luis is different but I’d rather us keep the others as we try to upgrade and have them provide competition and depth to the squad. Obviously that depends on them being willing to stick around and fight for their place but if want to improve we need a squad not a first team plus some others.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2390 on: June 24, 2022, 11:28:45 AM »

Luis is different but I’d rather us keep the others as we try to upgrade and have them provide competition and depth to the squad. Obviously that depends on them being willing to stick around and fight for their place but if want to improve we need a squad not a first team plus some others.

That's my preferred approach too.  Turn those players who have had 'guaranteed starter' status into squad players and options from the bench.  Getting rid of them, and bringing someone in, feels very risky.  The question is will they be willing to hang around to compete for a place, or will they do a Targett and jump ship the moment someone comes along that looks like taking their place?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2391 on: June 24, 2022, 11:28:45 AM »
Milan only see him as an alternate in case their move for Renato Sanchez doesn't happen.

Offline Dogtanian

« Reply #2392 on: June 24, 2022, 11:34:23 AM »

Unfortunately, keeping players and still spending is hard to do within the FFP shackles.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2393 on: June 24, 2022, 11:35:34 AM »
So the question is, would you be happy to let Luiz go if it meant having 2 of McGinn, Ramsey and Carney in front of Kamara and guaranteed Carney more game time (if that's the clincher for him signing the contract) even if some results take a hit in the short-term as he develops.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2394 on: June 24, 2022, 11:37:49 AM »

Unfortunately, keeping players and still spending is hard to do within the FFP shackles.

Hard but the evidence from other clubs suggests not impossible.

Offline Dogtanian

« Reply #2395 on: June 24, 2022, 11:39:51 AM »
I think we are still in the market for another solid midfielder. If selling Luiz gives us £20-30m towards that, then I wouldn’t mind at all.

If the right offer doesn’t come and he stays the season and competes with Ramsey and McGinn for a more forward role then I don’t mind that either.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2396 on: June 24, 2022, 12:14:38 PM »
I think my ideal 6 for next season would be Nakamba, McGinn, Ramsey, Kamara, Chuk and another solid defensive mid so if we need to shift on Luiz and Sanson to do so that would be fine.

Can't see us going for this guy from Porto though, i'd have thought we were well stocked with creative players.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2397 on: June 24, 2022, 12:16:33 PM »
So the question is, would you be happy to let Luiz go if it meant having 2 of McGinn, Ramsey and Carney in front of Kamara and guaranteed Carney more game time (if that's the clincher for him signing the contract) even if some results take a hit in the short-term as he develops.

No, because if we're in that position we're absolutely fucked if we get injuries. If we're 1 injury away from having no first team midfield cover on the bench then we've fucked up this window. We have 9 subs and 5 can come on, people like Carney and Tim can be on the bench without us needing to leave oureselves so short in the registered squad.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2398 on: June 24, 2022, 12:20:15 PM »
If selling Luiz gives us £20-30m towards that, then I wouldn’t mind at all.

£18m is the value I've seen mentioned which is a bloody bargain.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2399 on: June 24, 2022, 12:29:27 PM »
If selling Luiz gives us £20-30m towards that, then I wouldn’t mind at all.

£18m is the value I've seen mentioned which is a bloody bargain.

That does seem overly cheap. We've got to grips with the 'buying low' bit, just need to work on the 'selling high' part now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal