collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783920 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #1425 on: May 27, 2022, 10:12:51 AM »
I see Dembele, the ex Celtic and Fulham forward is available from Lyon for about £20m. He’s someone who I always thought was decent. Maybe too much like Olly?

He's fine, but he's another on a similar level to what we have. A bit like Sanson is fine, but wasn't really good enough to usurp what was there already.

If we're bringing in a new striker (and I think we should) then it really needs to be a definite upgrade.

He was shite against West Ham, clumsy and ineffective. I really struggle to think of anyone that would be a realistic target and a serious upgrade.

It's difficult to judge what is realistic at the moment though. Six months ago I would have said that Coutinho, Kamara and Diego Carlos weren't realistic targets.

Looking at who is scoring loads of goals and is of that sort of profile, I'd be wondering about Darwin Nunez, Lautaro Martinez or Wissam Ben Yedder. Probably completely unrealistic. But so was Coutinho.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1426 on: May 27, 2022, 10:16:30 AM »
It’s great that we’re announcing players early rather than when the window opens. My cynical gene can’t help thinking about the upcoming season ticket renewal date and the fact that following each announcement I get another email reminding me about it. I’m going to get one as always but this hard sell does piss me off a bit.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #1427 on: May 27, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »
Hard sell or good business model?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1428 on: May 27, 2022, 10:31:33 AM »
Hard sell or good business model?

I know, but I still have this deluded idea that I’m a fan not a customer.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1429 on: May 27, 2022, 10:40:51 AM »
I see Dembele, the ex Celtic and Fulham forward is available from Lyon for about £20m. He’s someone who I always thought was decent. Maybe too much like Olly?

He's fine, but he's another on a similar level to what we have. A bit like Sanson is fine, but wasn't really good enough to usurp what was there already.

If we're bringing in a new striker (and I think we should) then it really needs to be a definite upgrade.

He was shite against West Ham, clumsy and ineffective. I really struggle to think of anyone that would be a realistic target and a serious upgrade.

It's difficult to judge what is realistic at the moment though. Six months ago I would have said that Coutinho, Kamara and Diego Carlos weren't realistic targets.

Looking at who is scoring loads of goals and is of that sort of profile, I'd be wondering about Darwin Nunez, Lautaro Martinez or Wissam Ben Yedder. Probably completely unrealistic. But so was Coutinho.

It sure is an exciting time to be a Villa fan, we've never been this aggressive with recruitment before.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1430 on: May 27, 2022, 10:49:41 AM »
SSN still linking us with Tarkowski and Bassey.

If we do sign those two, I could see us potentially moving to a 3-5-2, with the current 3 in midfield shape and Coutinho given a free role behind a striker.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1431 on: May 27, 2022, 11:06:32 AM »

If we do sign those two, I could see us potentially moving to a 3-5-2, with the current 3 in midfield shape and Coutinho given a free role behind a striker.

Another one for the woodshed cdbearsfan.

Offline danno

« Reply #1432 on: May 27, 2022, 11:09:22 AM »

Shhh don't mention 1996

Offline OCD

« Reply #1433 on: May 27, 2022, 11:12:22 AM »
It’s great that we’re announcing players early rather than when the window opens. My cynical gene can’t help thinking about the upcoming season ticket renewal date and the fact that following each announcement I get another email reminding me about it. I’m going to get one as always but this hard sell does piss me off a bit.

Given that there's a growing waiting list and this sort of transfer activity will generally excite fans anyway, I doubt they're looking for a hard sell.

Got to love how strategic the club is. They know Sevilla are in trouble financially and have to people. We're buying Diego Costa for less than Newcastle were bidding for him 4 months ago.

We clearly for players who we not only feel would strengthen us but who we also think are under-valued in the current market.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went back for Bissouma and signed him for £30m when Brighton were quoting £50m 4 months ago.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1434 on: May 27, 2022, 11:16:01 AM »
Better we get them in early. If the club have done their research, identified the players they want then go get them before any other club does. Get them into the club, settled in and a pre-season. Rather that than say Spuds / Levi way of waiting until the end of the window  and try and get a better price.

Offline OCD

« Reply #1435 on: May 27, 2022, 11:18:02 AM »
Better we get them in early. If the club have done their research, identified the players they want then go get them before any other club does. Get them into the club, settled in and a pre-season. Rather that than say Spuds / Levi way of waiting until the end of the window  and try and get a better price.

Thing is, Coutinho for £17m, Kamara for free and Diego Carlos for £26m...it's not like we're paying over the odds to get them.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1436 on: May 27, 2022, 11:19:43 AM »
We won't play 3 at the back (as a starting formation) you don't sign a player like Kamara to play in front of 3 centre backs given his whole appeal is that he can drift between being an extra midfielder and an extra defender. His job is to be the 3rd centre back in the moments where the fullbacks get caught up field and then as they filter back he can push out.

I suspect the main reason those links are still coming is because they don't want to be shown up for having completely missed our real target. That said if Mings does get moved on I could see Bassey coming in as cover because he's young enough to be a little more patient than someone like Mings.

T.Soucek on the Beeb has apparently fell out with Moyes at West Ham...

I'd have him here at the real Claret and Blues...

UTV
The Doc

I'd be 100% behind this, he's exactly the type of player I'd like to see come in next, it would give us tremendous flexibility in our midfield if we could pick 3 from Kamara, Soucek (or similar), Ramsey, McGinn and Luiz.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1437 on: May 27, 2022, 11:24:51 AM »
We won't play 3 at the back (as a starting formation) you don't sign a player like Kamara to play in front of 3 centre backs given his whole appeal is that he can drift between being an extra midfielder and an extra defender. His job is to be the 3rd centre back in the moments where the fullbacks get caught up field and then as they filter back he can push out.
Yeah, that's how I saw it too - more a confirmation that we were generally going for 4 at the back, with Cash & Digne pushing forward and one of the midfielders dropping back to support the defenders when they're off gallivanting up the wings.

Offline OCD

« Reply #1438 on: May 27, 2022, 11:25:57 AM »
I can't see Luiz staying otherwise we would have presumably signed him up to a new contract. It doesn't even seem like we've offered him one.

You wonder too whether part of the thinking of signing 29 year olds is that it gives some of the kids coming through chance to be ready (Bogarde, Feeney and Smith for Diego Costa for instance).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1439 on: May 27, 2022, 11:35:12 AM »

I sometimes feel my efforts here are wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal