collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The view from up here  (Read 5771 times)

Offline LeonW

Re: The view from up here
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2022, 05:07:39 PM »
I don't think the system has been ditched really. We didn't really have much of a system under Smith anyway, other than "get it to Grealish". This season he tried 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 3-4-3 and 5-3-2. If we accept that the 5 at the back wasn't really him, and he preferred either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, then that's how we're still playing. Of course no two managers are identical, but in my opinion the need for the squad overhaul isn't really down to a change in managers and style, it's down to some of our players bot being good enough. Luiz, McGinn and Watkins have mostly been poor this season. I'd be tempted to persevere with Watkins for now, but I've seen more than enough of McGinn and Luiz to be honest. They were underperforming for Smith, and now they're underperforming for Gerrard.

I think the key question is, good enough for what? Where do you think is realistic for the club to be at this stage?

Beating shite like Watford and Leeds at home, for a start.

It's been a disappointing season but I don't subscribe to the view that things needed ripping up and stating up and starting again.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2022, 09:55:07 PM »
If we make piss poor decisions like buying Ings, unnecessarily  upgrading the left back and not resolving the central midfield problem.
Then things are not going to improve dramatically any time soon.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2022, 10:06:14 PM »
If we make piss poor decisions like buying Ings, unnecessarily  upgrading the left back and not resolving the central midfield problem.
Then things are not going to improve dramatically any time soon.
This

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2022, 10:16:37 PM »
Well he's played with two 10s, because that's basically all he's got. Traore hasn't been fit at all and probably won't be, and Bailey has been injured/not very good.
I think it’s pretty well documented the way he wants to set the team up.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2022, 09:13:18 AM »
Fantastic article. Great read , great observatory telling it how it is.
Its perplexing why we just jump fron one playing strategy to now another under the new owners hoped have a continuity.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2022, 10:03:42 AM »
I don't think the system has been ditched really. We didn't really have much of a system under Smith anyway, other than "get it to Grealish". This season he tried 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 3-4-3 and 5-3-2. If we accept that the 5 at the back wasn't really him, and he preferred either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, then that's how we're still playing. Of course no two managers are identical, but in my opinion the need for the squad overhaul isn't really down to a change in managers and style, it's down to some of our players bot being good enough. Luiz, McGinn and Watkins have mostly been poor this season. I'd be tempted to persevere with Watkins for now, but I've seen more than enough of McGinn and Luiz to be honest. They were underperforming for Smith, and now they're underperforming for Gerrard.

I think the key question is, good enough for what? Where do you think is realistic for the club to be at this stage?

Beating shite like Watford and Leeds at home, for a start.

It's been a disappointing season but I don't subscribe to the view that things needed ripping up and stating up and starting again.
Yeah this is what I think.  There are a lot of good players here - It needs fenessing and a few new faces but don’t think we need to start again.  Certainly need to avoid through it the baby out with the bath water

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal