collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our changing transfer policy  (Read 9955 times)

Offline lovejoy

Re: Our changing transfer policy
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2022, 12:37:08 PM »
Two things - financial fair play, can't see how the reported wages can get accommodated.
Also Gerrard needs results now so that in 2 years he steps up to his Liverpool job, he doesn't care if we have players developing in 5 years time, hence the here and now nature of these signings.
I think that's totally unfair on Gerrard. How do you or anyone else know what his plans are for the future?I think he's handled the speculation brilliantly and refuses to answer any questions regarding us being a stepping stone in fact he called it disrespectful to Aston Villa football club. What more can he say? He's clearly trying to turn us into a top club and his influence in signing top players is becoming apparent. To say he doesn't care if we have players developing in 5 years time is pure conspiracy theory nonsense. As for those criticising players wages again what's that got to do with Gerrard? The money bods crunch the numbers and have the final say on what's feasible and what's not. I don't get why people can't just enjoy seeing us trying to get a seat at the top table and leave the worrying to those who get paid handsomely to balance the books. The days of us being used as a huge gambling chip are over. Tony X has left the building. We're lucky enough to have superb owners who are very business savvy and very wealthy.

I don't know what his plans are but my suspicion is that he is lining up the Liverpool job when it becomes available (likely in the next 2/3 years). But you know as much as me. So can be any more sure that this isn't his thinking.
Your point on the rich owners misses the point about FFP, the owners can have all the money in the world but spending is capped based on our revenues. If Digne and Coutinho take a lot of this up we are limited what we can do elsewhere, it is an opportunity cost.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »
I think something that may have been missed yesterday with all the Digne talk is that we're meant to have bid £800k for a highly rated 17 year old centre back. That doesn't suggest a change of policy. The young kids also need some experience around them too. Ashley Young has been a really good influence in the squad and I gather that Danny Ings has been mentoring Cam Archer. We've got enough youth that we can afford one or two 28/29 year olds, especially when it's someone of the quality of Coutinho.
This is it, for me.
Give the squad more experience and still use the up-and-coming youth players to get gametime.
Adding a proven international like Coutinho and an established French international seems like sensible recruitment to me.
There may be conspiracy theories about whether there is some sort of fundamental shift in approach: I'd interpret it much more as a developing strategy to which Mr Gerrard has made some contribution.
It's not a conspiracy theory, simply an observation based on our last 3 major transfers (assuming Digne goes through)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:50:39 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2022, 12:54:01 PM »
One thing I would say on this is that last season our first team was looking good for a top 6/8 finish, then Jack got injured and we dropped off. My feeling is to get in to those UEFA Cup berths regularly, you need to have a first choice XI that is good enough for the Champions League. That lessens the impact of any injuries / drops in form over the course of the season.

In that respect, signings like Buendia, Bailey, Ings, Coutinho, or Digne - players who look like legitimate targets for top 4 clubs* - are absolutely vital. I'm sure we could get their 'organically', but how many seasons will that take? How many of our best & brightest will be poached whilst we're waiting for the right moment?

Absolutely in favour of bringing in talented youngsters - just like that Dundee Utd player - and honestly that excites me more long term. But to get to where we want to be, we're going to have to also bring in some players who will push us up the league table in the next 5 months (and 17 months) - not ones who are only going to start to be effective mid way through next season.

Those sort of signings - promising 21/22 year old destined for future glory - are the ones you make when you've got there IMO.

Really exciting times

Offline Villan82

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2022, 01:05:09 PM »
Bang on. These are exciting times. I am at an age where I remember the title challenges in the 90s and the League Cup wins and I am desperate for some success.

I was sick when Chelsea and then Man City got their days in the sun and leap frogged us.

Let's just enjoy the big signings and not worry too much about age, wages etc. As far as I am concerned we had some very bleak days since 2000 so I want to enjoy any positive vibes there are now.

Offline p_ad

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »
Great post I agree entirely, in response to The Edge post
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:21:32 PM by p_ad »

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2022, 01:51:22 PM »
Two things - financial fair play, can't see how the reported wages can get accommodated.
Also Gerrard needs results now so that in 2 years he steps up to his Liverpool job, he doesn't care if we have players developing in 5 years time, hence the here and now nature of these signings.
I think that's totally unfair on Gerrard. How do you or anyone else know what his plans are for the future?I think he's handled the speculation brilliantly and refuses to answer any questions regarding us being a stepping stone in fact he called it disrespectful to Aston Villa football club. What more can he say? He's clearly trying to turn us into a top club and his influence in signing top players is becoming apparent. To say he doesn't care if we have players developing in 5 years time is pure conspiracy theory nonsense. As for those criticising players wages again what's that got to do with Gerrard? The money bods crunch the numbers and have the final say on what's feasible and what's not. I don't get why people can't just enjoy seeing us trying to get a seat at the top table and leave the worrying to those who get paid handsomely to balance the books. The days of us being used as a huge gambling chip are over. Tony X has left the building. We're lucky enough to have superb owners who are very business savvy and very wealthy.

I don't know what his plans are but my suspicion is that he is lining up the Liverpool job when it becomes available (likely in the next 2/3 years). But you know as much as me. So can be any more sure that this isn't his thinking.
Your point on the rich owners misses the point about FFP, the owners can have all the money in the world but spending is capped based on our revenues. If Digne and Coutinho take a lot of this up we are limited what we can do elsewhere, it is an opportunity cost.
I didn't miss the point about ffp. What I said was the club pays a lot of money for people to crunch the numbers and advise on what is feasible and what isn't to keep us ffp compliant.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:54:02 PM by The Edge »

Offline LeonW

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2022, 06:40:04 PM »
At this stage I'd say we're still in the supplementing experience with youth phase with the most recent (and potentially soon to be) transfers. However, if it continues then that does suggest to me a change in policy.

I've been thinking for awhile about whether this has already happened with the appointment of Gerrard and how much involvement Lange actually had in it. The speed and manner of it did not sit comfortably with me as an 'exhaustive' process.

The whole point of the DOF role is to ensure continuity of approach/strategy no matter who the manager is. Makes it less costly to correct mistakes and allows for players (broadly) to be able to play in a not dissimilar system under the next manager - allowing for one or two exceptions. It also makes it easier for the young players to come through the system into a similar set up in the first team.

I hope what is currently going on is just a continuity of the existing strategy which has been beneficial but I do have my doubts.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2022, 07:10:08 PM »
In his last interview, Christian Purslow stated that the owners, three years in, were now moving onto the "next phase" of their plan.  Maybe sprinkling the squad with a few ready-made performers, in the here and now, is part of the overall strategy?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2022, 07:17:05 PM »
I've been thinking for awhile about whether this has already happened with the appointment of Gerrard and how much involvement Lange actually had in it. The speed and manner of it did not sit comfortably with me as an 'exhaustive' process. 
They've had a couple of months which is probably why it's ready made players rather than a hard analysis of where they might improve. But contrary to popular belief, it was far from unknown for Lange to sign players in their late 20s at FC Copenhagen to supplement the younger ones. And I think that's what we're seeing now - it's not like we've been doing it at the expense of signing younger players ... we must be bought in.a.dozen players for the U23s (and below) over the past 12 months.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2022, 07:29:52 PM »
They've had a couple of months which is probably why it's ready made players rather than a hard analysis of where they might improve. But contrary to popular belief, it was far from unknown for Lange to sign players in their late 20s at FC Copenhagen to supplement the younger ones. And I think that's what we're seeing now - it's not like we've been doing it at the expense of signing younger players ... we must be bought in.a.dozen players for the U23s (and below) over the past 12 months.

Time well tell. We got ourselves into a good position with the squad and the money available to spend under FFP. I just hope we don't waste the opportunity.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2022, 07:42:12 PM »
In his pre match interview on BBC Gerrard just dropped a massive hint about bringing in a striker in the transfer window. Interesting.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2022, 07:54:05 PM »
In his pre match interview on BBC Gerrard just dropped a massive hint about bringing in a striker in the transfer window. Interesting.

I know we all like shinny new things but surely one of our current problems is Ollie and Ing getting enough time on the pitch.
It would only be logical if Arsenal are offering £60m for Watkins.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2022, 07:55:25 PM »

Can I ask what he said please?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2022, 08:05:56 PM »
I thought he was talking about Coutinho and Dign

Offline The Edge

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2022, 08:57:00 PM »

Can I ask what he said please?
I can't recall word for word but he was talking about options and he made the point about us getting more striking options in particular. He had quite a smirk on his face when he said it.It was on around 7.45. Hopefully someone will have recorded it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal