collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our changing transfer policy  (Read 9957 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Our changing transfer policy
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2022, 05:56:51 PM »
Didn't the guy who played in the pyjamas Gabor Kiraly pretty much throw one into his own net when we played
Manure a few years back?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 06:25:21 PM »
Yes I would like to wondr why its changed just because we change the coach.
It's really not good practice.
Everyone has been wooed and start struck by SG

It's like he can do what he wants in signing Suarez

Dean Smith is not returning. I repeat Dean Smith is not returning.

I thought I was the most anti-Gerrard person out there but you're taking it to unfathomable extremes. He's our manager, he's doing pretty well so far and frankly, he's conducting himself in the way I'd hope any manager would, but very few have.

Our transfer policy is perfect, young players to develop, wiser experienced heads to lead the way.

The only person star-struck, appears to be you, right on the bonce.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2022, 06:29:26 PM »
Well OK. All points taken
I made my observations
Just seems a big shift and Suarez and Olson seemed to not exactly fit the remit.
Nothing wrong with Steer.

I will keep my concerns about all this short term gains to myself from now
Though the point a thread was created on this highlights I'm not alone with the concerns. (I was actually going to make such a thread but didn't think there would be any traction and people would conclude It was some pining for Smith)
Anyhow as long as overall structure in place and moves are made for the good of Villa that don't risk us or determinedly to the development of academy players then much hope is there remains and great.
Just the opportunistic approach to moves doesn't strike as a long term planning.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:34:47 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2022, 06:43:17 PM »
Well OK. All points taken
I made my observations
Just seems a big shift and Suarez and Olson seemed to not exactly fit the remit.
Nothing wrong with Steer.

I will keep my concerns about all this short term gains to myself from now
Though the point a thread was created on this highlights I'm not alone with the concerns. (I was actually going to make such a thread but didn't think there would be any traction and people would conclude It was some pining for Smith)
Anyhow as long as overall structure in place and moves are made for the good of Villa that don't risk us or determinedly to the development of academy players then much hope is there remains and great.
Just the opportunistic approach to moves doesn't strike as a long term planning.

The rumours are that Steer wants first team football so Olson on loan to allow him to go out is perfectly sensible.

Suarez is just a rumour right now, without even an agreement on whether he's for now or the summer, let alone that it's happening so maybe wait and see on that one.

There's nothing wrong with short term gains at a club with one of the most exciting groups of young players in the country, if the actions in this window give 2-3 of our youth players a nudge to work even harder to make it then they'll benefit us in the long term and if it also sees a change in the mentality of the squad (as appears to be happening) then it's great. Also you didn't have these concerns when Smith added Young to the squad and you were even calling for him to start regularly at one point.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2022, 08:02:47 PM »
Young has Villa history so not comparable for me.
I take your points regards short term.
I do see it intrinsically linked and not independent.
In that pathway to first team is delayed , blocked due to aged players signed deemed perhaps unecessary.
The change in mentality will be fine when everything is going well when it's not then it won't be the same and things can fall off quite quickly.
Looking positively and in the here and now well we can hope for positives and quality squad options however I am very aware of a shift though have to accept these approaches and changes happen due to new coaching staff.
Good discussion all round.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2022, 08:08:30 PM »

What's changed? Smith brought in Ashley Young, Gerrard has brought in Coutinho. Smith bought Caleb Chukwuemeka, Gerrard has bought Kerr Smith. Smith brought in Martinez, Gerrard has got Digne. A mix of quality older players and promising kids.

Offline Risso

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2022, 08:09:07 PM »
Young has Villa history so not comparable for me.
I take your points regards short term.
I do see it intrinsically linked and not independent.
In that pathway to first team is delayed , blocked due to aged players signed deemed perhaps unecessary.
The change in mentality will be fine when everything is going well when it's not then it won't be the same and things can fall off quite quickly.
Looking positively and in the here and now well we can hope for positives and quality squad options however I am very aware of a shift though have to accept these approaches and changes happen due to new coaching staff.
Good discussion all round.

It's not a good discussion, you're talking nonsense.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2022, 08:11:01 PM »
Didn't the guy who played in the pyjamas Gabor Kiraly pretty much throw one into his own net when we played
Manure a few years back?

I don't know who that is and perhaps that's the wrong thread maybe meant for Olsen?

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2022, 08:12:32 PM »

What's changed? Smith brought in Ashley Young, Gerrard has brought in Coutinho. Smith bought Caleb Chukwuemeka, Gerrard has bought Kerr Smith. Smith brought in Martinez, Gerrard has got Digne. A mix of quality older players and promising kids.
Smith signed Martinez
Olsen ? Didn't mention him. Didn't fit the narrative did it

Offline Risso

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2022, 08:32:12 PM »

Smith signed Martinez
Olsen ? Didn't mention him. Didn't fit the narrative did it

It's a half season loan for a back back up goalie, hardly relevant at all. Hopefully he'll never play. Smith made a loan in January 2020, what was his name again? Oh yes, Danny Drinkwater. Thank god transfers have changed from that, if nothing else.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2022, 08:36:32 PM »
Footy, please chill out. It takes all sorts of approaches and all sorts of players to make a good squad. We have moved direction just a tad because we’ve signed a couple of more experience players. Players who are already at the top of their game rather than up-and-coming, potential laden players. Kerr apart.  Either way is good but I quite like the fact that we want to get to a more successful position, quicker.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2022, 08:50:37 PM »
It's a half season loan for a back back up goalie, hardly relevant at all. Hopefully he'll never play. Smith made a loan in January 2020, what was his name again? Oh yes, Danny Drinkwater. Thank god transfers have changed from that, if nothing else.

My Dad started losing faith (and never recovered it) in Deano when he signed Drinkwater and said "he could see the fire in his eyes".

Offline Risso

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2022, 09:14:57 PM »

My Dad started losing faith (and never recovered it) in Deano when he signed Drinkwater and said "he could see the fire in his eyes".

According to ESPN, the second worst PL transfer ever. Behind Weah’s fake cousin who wasn’t even a footballer.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4087601/ranking-the-50-worst-premier-league-transfers-of-all-time?platform=amp

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2022, 09:17:56 PM »
Manure a few years back?

I don't know who that is and perhaps that's the wrong thread maybe meant for Olsen?

He played in net 5 times for us 15 years ago.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2022, 09:49:10 AM »

According to ESPN, the second worst PL transfer ever. Behind Weah’s fake cousin who wasn’t even a footballer.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4087601/ranking-the-50-worst-premier-league-transfers-of-all-time?platform=amp
Thta's a great article, some memories there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal