collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: People throwing bog roll, and other odd behaviour  (Read 6224 times)

Offline trinityoap

Re: People throwing bog roll, and other odd behaviour
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
Remember that Stoke game .There was no way I was letting those bastards stand in my place. However after a frank exchange of views I decided that I really didn't feel that strongly about it and went and stood somewhere else a good distance away.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2021, 05:53:13 PM »
Back in the dim and distant past being behind the goal and it was so foggy you couldn't see the other end. There was a roar, our end (can't remember which one it was) chanted "who scored the goal" and the other end replied. No idea of date, match or scorer. 

Sometime in the sixties I believe.  I think the opposition was Manchester City.  I do remember not being able to see beyond the edge of the penalty area at the Witton End looking towards the Holte.  I also remember a roar going up suggesting the Villa had scored but nobody down the Witton had a clue.  The match was abandoned shortly after.  If memory serves, as with all these things, the bleedin' fog lifted as me and the old man were walking home.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2021, 06:13:02 PM »
Back in the dim and distant past being behind the goal and it was so foggy you couldn't see the other end. There was a roar, our end (can't remember which one it was) chanted "who scored the goal" and the other end replied. No idea of date, match or scorer. 

Sometime in the sixties I believe.  I think the opposition was Manchester City.  I do remember not being able to see beyond the edge of the penalty area at the Witton End looking towards the Holte.  I also remember a roar going up suggesting the Villa had scored but nobody down the Witton had a clue.  The match was abandoned shortly after.  If memory serves, as with all these things, the bleedin' fog lifted as me and the old man were walking home.

That may well be the only game my dad ever persuaded my mom to go to. They couldn’t see the pitch and didn’t know the score until they got home. Mom never went again.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 09:21:16 PM »
1960s/early seventies - walking the length of Aston Lane or Trinity Road towards the ground refusing to believe the crowds of people walking in the other direction and telling you "The Match is off".

Offline papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 10:48:57 PM »
1960s/early seventies - walking the length of Aston Lane or Trinity Road towards the ground refusing to believe the crowds of people walking in the other direction and telling you "The Match is off".

Ah yes, it was the sheer disappointment and the desperate hope that they were all wrong that meant  you needed the visual proof of closed turnstiles to turn around and tell others coming towards you that the match is off.
Excellent recollection.

Offline gregavfc69/70

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2021, 04:00:09 PM »
From some of the old MOTD, B/W film you will see a few bog rolls thrown from about 1967 on.
I went to the Riland-Bedford Secondary School in Sutton Coldfield from Sept 1969.
Three years later, I noticed a large skip at the rear of the town's bus depot almost opposite the school.
I looked in and noticed a stack of nearly full bus ticket rolls.
Of course, I couldn't resist and regularly helped myself.
These were then sent flying from the back of the Holte whenever we scored a goal.
And as these narrow rolls were rather heavy, they didn't half shift some distance, lol!
Almost as far as the Holte goal!
In my teenage mind, it was all about being part of the team and boosting the celebrations.
Absolutely anything to boost the chances of a win.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 04:05:13 PM by gregavfc69/70 »

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 06:49:02 AM »
Clapping the opposition goalie as he approached the Holte, and when he returned the gesture flicking them the 'V's'.

Ha!Ha! Yes! A great memory jogger.

Offline Rico

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 06:58:34 AM »
I remember a scarf being hung from the rafters at the back of the Holte End and then set on fire. This was common during the late 70s and 80s.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 11:14:15 AM »
Re fog I remember Man City at home Christmas 1991 and the fog then  was so bad I seem to recall Les Sealeys goal being  partly obscured. You could hear him barracking our defence out of the mist but you could barely see him. It was the game where Tony Daley scored a volley that had Brian Moore creaming his pants on the TV commentary.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2022, 11:47:18 AM »
This game. Daley's volley is at around 3:04. Doesn't look as foggy as we both remember it though.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2022, 03:56:47 PM »
The bog roll thing was very common in the 90s and seemed to stop very suddenly. Not sure when, about 1998 or so?

My guess would be when we went from terrace to seats.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 04:00:48 PM by usav »

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 03:57:07 PM »
This game. Daley's volley is at around 3:04. Doesn't look as foggy as we both remember it though.

I only remember that one being bloody freezing, not foggy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 04:15:08 PM by usav »

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 04:03:16 PM »
Remember a particularly dull game not long after the new Holte opened when fans were taking it in turns to throw paper aeroplanes off the top tier to see who could get them furthest down the pitch.  One even got past the 18-yard box and got a huge cheer.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 04:26:32 PM »
There was a period in the 1970s when 'volunteers ' would be held upside down with their legs in a V shape above the heads of the Holte crowd.It was handy if you were on the terrace below them as inevitably the loose change fell from their pockets!

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 04:28:44 PM »

I thought it got foggy second half. If it wasn't that game there was another around that winter time. Sealey definitely the goalkeeper.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal