collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: People throwing bog roll, and other odd behaviour  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Chris Harte

People throwing bog roll, and other odd behaviour
« on: December 11, 2021, 10:43:53 PM »
Was thinking the other day to when I started going to the Villa (early-80s, in case you were wondering). There were strange things going on back then. Things that would seem odd in the extreme to the millenial supporter.

Standing on seatless terraces was of course one of them, piss flowing out of the gents on the Holte was another. But the one that really got me thinking was the sight of fans throwing bog roll on to the pitch, usually at opposition goalkeepers. It struck me that such an act would have been seen by some as extremely wasteful at the start of the pandemic.

There are probably others I've forgot about as well.

Offline Villan82

Re: People throwing bog roll, and other odd behaviour
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 11:34:10 PM »
The bog roll thing was very common in the 90s and seemed to stop very suddenly. Not sure when, about 1998 or so?

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 11:47:38 PM »
1995-96 I remember a few games where the Holte threw bog roll. The game with Spurs where God and Yorke both scored I remember the box looking a right mess and the pitch was starting to wear and tear too so it didn't look too attractive.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 11:54:53 PM »
It was never the same when there was Izal single sheets in the bogs.
I went on a few football specials where some trains were devoid of seating when they got to the destination. You can never beat a carefully aimed big roll though.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 12:12:39 AM »
I remember bog-rolls being lugged from the Holte End from 1969 onwards.

A mate of mine took a till roll once and threw that. If it had hit someone flush, I'm guessing it would have hurt! Perhaps a good way of weakening the opposition before the game's even started..?

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »
Remember the guys in the front row of the upper Holte throwing bags of ticker tape when the teams came out.Probably early 90s

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 03:06:29 PM »
Clapping the opposition goalie as he approached the Holte, and when he returned the gesture flicking them the 'V's'.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 03:11:12 PM »
Remember the guys in the front row of the upper Holte throwing bags of ticker tape when the teams came out.Probably early 90s
That sounds about right. I always thought it was bits of Argos catalogue he had ripped up.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 02:10:58 AM »
I remember bog-rolls being lugged from the Holte End from 1969 onwards.

A mate of mine took a till roll once and threw that. If it had hit someone flush, I'm guessing it would have hurt! Perhaps a good way of weakening the opposition before the game's even started..?

My second visit to VP was in March 1967. The upper Holte was taken over by Stoke fans and they were very big on the bog roll. Bunch of ******.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 02:52:19 PM »
There was also the era ( mid to late 70’s) when the Holte End was bedecked with balloons, released to the skies when players ran on the pitch. As they were inflated by lung power rather than Helium the balloons then just sort of hung around or were blown by nature into one corner of the ground, to be pricked by part time prickers thereby ending their brief moment of fame and public admiration.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 03:20:21 PM »
I think that bog roll was the same as the stuff we had a school. Shiny non absorbent and only good for moving shit around your arse ! The pitch was the best place for it.

Around the same era was the stench of unhuman farts that wafted over the Holte end making people gag. Gladly a thing of the past.

More modern era . There used to be an old bloke in the North Stand who would berate a Gareth Barry missed pass or poor play by telling him to "go home and make the tea Barry".

Online Rudy65

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 03:33:48 PM »
There was also the era ( mid to late 70’s) when the Holte End was bedecked with balloons, released to the skies when players ran on the pitch. As they were inflated by lung power rather than Helium the balloons then just sort of hung around or were blown by nature into one corner of the ground, to be pricked by part time prickers thereby ending their brief moment of fame and public admiration.

Great days on the Holte 76\77 with the balloons

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »
I always remember sitting in the old Trinity Road stand in the desperate days of the late '60s, when after a particularly dull spell of terrible football played out in the mist laden gloom, the eery silence would be broken by a lone voice booming out 'Wakey Wakey.'

Online thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »
Occasionally someone would attempt to scale the Holte End floodlight pylon to an inevitable chorus of Holte Enders in the Sky.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »
Back in the dim and distant past being behind the goal and it was so foggy you couldn't see the other end. There was a roar, our end (can't remember which one it was) chanted "who scored the goal" and the other end replied. No idea of date, match or scorer. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal