collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:13:06 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 08:11:19 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 08:06:29 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Godfrey Brian
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa pre match thread  (Read 15061 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa pre match thread
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2021, 04:54:36 PM »
we're always shit away at Palace and Benteke is in form.

We have not done well at Selhurst Park over the years whether it has been playing away to Palace, Charlton or Wimbledon. My worst visit there was on Easter Monday 1987 when we lost 3-0 to Charlton and were practically relegated that day. I think the crowd was somewhere between 5,000-6,000. I also remember Garry Thompson scoring a winner against us around 1990 when we were still in the title race. We also went out of the FA Cup on penalties to Wimbledon in a midweek game with Vinnie Jones giving it the big 'un. I must admit I had some malicious intent for a moment or two when I walked past his sponsored car in the car park on the way out.
The only visit I remember to Selhurst Park that has good memories is the Dalian game.

Fair play to Viera he seems to be getting a tune out of a fairly limited Palace side so far. They looked like relegation fodder to me this season after losing a number of players and having to rebuild pretty much from scratch.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 04:58:30 PM by Damo70 »

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2021, 08:50:43 PM »
Yeah it’s an awful away game historically for me as well. Took a few soakings when it was an open end. Seen us lose to Wimbledon and Charlton as well as Palace. I can think of a couple wins. Bentekre won a game for us there and the Dalian goal game of course. There must be others that I’ve forgotten but I reckon I must be up to a dozen defeats at least. The Greedish, now obvious, dive  game, followed by the aggressive stewarding was the last one. And of course it’s a pain to get to, park and drink at. Quite like their ultra thing they have going and respect for that Newcastle banner.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2021, 09:08:31 PM »
we're always shit away at Palace and Benteke is in form.

We have not done well at Selhurst Park over the years whether it has been playing away to Palace, Charlton or Wimbledon. My worst visit there was on Easter Monday 1987 when we lost 3-0 to Charlton and were practically relegated that day. I think the crowd was somewhere between 5,000-6,000. I also remember Garry Thompson scoring a winner against us around 1990 when we were still in the title race. We also went out of the FA Cup on penalties to Wimbledon in a midweek game with Vinnie Jones giving it the big 'un. I must admit I had some malicious intent for a moment or two when I walked past his sponsored car in the car park on the way out.
The only visit I remember to Selhurst Park that has good memories is the Dalian game.

Fair play to Viera he seems to be getting a tune out of a fairly limited Palace side so far. They looked like relegation fodder to me this season after losing a number of players and having to rebuild pretty much from scratch.

We were just walking up the steps after a nightmare journey when Thompson scored, and the way back wasn't any better.

I've not been back since, even when I used to travel a lot Palace was never considered.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2021, 09:18:49 PM »
I teach a lot of Palace fans. I hope I'm not unhappy on Monday!
I used to teach in Croydon and before Saturday's match I'm meeting a couple of Palace fans I taught in the 1980s when they were teenagers. They're now in their 50s, one a headmaster. Fortunately, in those days Villa used to beat Palace fairly comfortably, so I wasn't greeted by smug grins on a Monday morning. I hope you won't be!

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2021, 01:20:34 AM »
Very much one of those 'why are you here' clubs. And their managerial legacy includes; Bassett, T****r F*****s, Bruce, Colin W (twice), Holloway, Pulis, Pardew and Allardyce. Burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2021, 08:37:31 AM »
It’s mad the hex they seem to have over us. The only time I can remember (kind of) beating them was the title winning season. Just remember lying on the floor in front of the telly watching the scores come in and it was 0-2 or 1-2 Villa. Vince Hilaire probably scored for them in my badly remembered scenario!

Online RichardBatchelor

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2021, 08:38:05 AM »
Very much one of those 'why are you here' clubs. And their managerial legacy includes; Bassett, T****r F*****s, Bruce, Colin W (twice), Holloway, Pulis, Pardew and Allardyce. Burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

I can’t work out the asterisks.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »

Tractor Fuckers ???

UTV
The Doc

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2021, 09:23:04 AM »

The 1970s Jude Bellingham.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2021, 10:28:27 AM »

If you "walk a mile and a bit" that should give you a clue.

Online RichardBatchelor

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2021, 12:27:03 PM »

If you "walk a mile and a bit" that should give you a clue.

Only a mile and a bit? That rules the Proclaimers out then.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2021, 12:36:28 PM »
It’s mad the hex they seem to have over us. The only time I can remember (kind of) beating them was the title winning season. Just remember lying on the floor in front of the telly watching the scores come in and it was 0-2 or 1-2 Villa. Vince Hilaire probably scored for them in my badly remembered scenario!

I think that even in our title winning season we only beat them by a one goal margin home and away. Also I think Palace were relegated that season and went through more than a couple of managers too that season.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2021, 01:16:42 PM »
Burn it to the ground and salt the earth.

The original Crystal Palace did in 1936 !!

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2021, 01:17:19 PM »
https://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Crystal%20Palace/

Truly is a bogey ground for us. They don't seem to have much joy at Villa Park either.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2021, 02:13:00 PM »
In reality, I think 4 points from the next 3 games would be a pretty decent return.

That would be a fantastic return, I think at best two draws personally.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal