collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The end of the line - Tommy Docherty  (Read 2608 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
The end of the line - Tommy Docherty
« on: November 18, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »
As one Villa managerial spell begins, Dave Collett recalls the end of another.

https://heroesandvillains.info/2021/11/18/the-end-of-the-line-tommy-docherty/

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: The end of the line - Tommy Docherty
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 09:03:57 AM »
When he was appointed I remember he walked around the ground at the first home game to rapturous applause and was thought of as the best appontment ever. So great was the disappointment.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 02:30:09 PM »
The start was fantastic.
 Just by being there he increased the crowd for the first game against Norwich from 13k to 20k. Half of them only turned up to see the shirts on a washing line but we won 2-1.
 Next up was Cardiff on a frozen pitch with over 40k. 2-0 win and a goal from new boy Brian Tiler who he'd brought from Rotherham.
Then we went and won 1-0 at Carlisle. Bob Stokoe said after the game he would rather sweep the streets than manage a team the way Villa played, the Doc said he would present him with a broom next time they met.
First division QPR at home in the Cup, another 40k crowd and another win.

Then a 1-0 win at home to Huddersfield.
5 wins out of 5, we were never going into division 3 and were probably going to win the Cup too !
Before the end of the season there were two absolutely epic cup games with Southampton. 2-2 at theirs with 7k from Villa in The Dell. Nearly 60k for the 2-1 win in the replay, I can still see little Dave Rudge running down the wing.
We very nearly saw off Tottenham in round 5 before going down 3-2.
Last home game off the season Dave Simmons won it for us against Birmingham and another 50k plus crowd.

It all fell apart from day one of the next season but if you want to find the source of the journey to Rotterdam it's located here . We just had to still take that detour via the likes of Rochdale and Halifax.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 08:58:43 PM »
The start was fantastic.
 Just by being there he increased the crowd for the first game against Norwich from 13k to 20k. Half of them only turned up to see the shirts on a washing line but we won 2-1.
 Next up was Cardiff on a frozen pitch with over 40k. 2-0 win and a goal from new boy Brian Tiler who he'd brought from Rotherham.
Then we went and won 1-0 at Carlisle. Bob Stokoe said after the game he would rather sweep the streets than manage a team the way Villa played, the Doc said he would present him with a broom next time they met.
First division QPR at home in the Cup, another 40k crowd and another win.

Then a 1-0 win at home to Huddersfield.
5 wins out of 5, we were never going into division 3 and were probably going to win the Cup too !
Before the end of the season there were two absolutely epic cup games with Southampton. 2-2 at theirs with 7k from Villa in The Dell. Nearly 60k for the 2-1 win in the replay, I can still see little Dave Rudge running down the wing.
We very nearly saw off Tottenham in round 5 before going down 3-2.
Last home game off the season Dave Simmons won it for us against Birmingham and another 50k plus crowd.

It all fell apart from day one of the next season but if you want to find the source of the journey to Rotterdam it's located here . We just had to still take that detour via the likes of Rochdale and Halifax.

Great summation there ALITA, of a wonderfully exciting time, for those who were lucky enough to have been there to experience it (even as, or perhaps especially as, a 9 year old).

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 07:42:45 AM »

The aforementioned 2-0 win on Boxing Day 1968. Brian Tilers debut, 40k plus crowd, me (circled) at 11 being held on an ice cold stanchion by my Dad. Him smelling of whisky, John Player cigarettes and Christmas aftershave. One of my happiest Villa memories.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 08:18:33 AM »

The aforementioned 2-0 win on Boxing Day 1968. Brian Tilers debut, 40k plus crowd, me (circled) at 11 being held on an ice cold stanchion by my Dad. Him smelling of whisky, John Player cigarettes and Christmas aftershave. One of my happiest Villa memories.
Sure that wasn't you?   ;D

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 08:29:49 AM »
Don’t be daft Mister E, I smoked Capstan Full Strength in those days. You’re up early, soiled the bed again? Or are you setting off to VP?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 08:55:06 AM »
You’re up early, soiled the bed again? Or are you setting off to VP?
Both  ;D ;D ;D

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 02:35:30 AM »
Great post, ALITA.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 06:39:13 AM »
Because He was manager when my dad started taking me down, I’m very fond of The Doc despite his lack of success with us. I don’t remember any of the games just the atmosphere and delicious bovril with pepper at half time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal