collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Down amongst the dead men  (Read 2749 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Down amongst the dead men
« on: November 12, 2021, 01:09:24 PM »
The story move on to 1967-68, when the fun never started.

https://heroesandvillains.info/2021/11/12/down-amongst-the-dead-men/

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Down amongst the dead men
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 01:42:18 PM »
Pedant alert.
The team photo with the article is 1968/69. That's the late Brian Tiler in the middle front, signed by The Doc in December 1968.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 09:12:21 PM »
I am enjoying these articles, with their blow by blow account of matches, and bringing back memories of Villa games attended with my dad as a child.  One that stands out is Plymouth away, in August 1967, a 2-1 defeat, which we were able to go to owing to the fact that we were on holiday in Paignton at the time; as a result, my mum also went to this match, one of only three that I think she ever went to.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »
I am enjoying these articles, with their blow by blow account of matches, and bringing back memories of Villa games attended with my dad as a child.  One that stands out is Plymouth away, in August 1967, a 2-1 defeat, which we were able to go to owing to the fact that we were on holiday in Paignton at the time; as a result, my mum also went to this match, one of only three that I think she ever went to.

My mum has only been to Villa Park once
John Robsons testimonial around 77/78

She didn’t support Villa though and was a Man United season ticket holder for many years along with my dad

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 08:06:37 AM »
Pedant alert.
The team photo with the article is 1968/69. That's the late Brian Tiler in the middle front, signed by The Doc in December 1968.

There's always one...

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »
My Mom only went into Villa Park once in her 96 years being a Villa fan.  She took me in my pushchair to see the hole blown in the Witton Lane barrel vaulted tin roof made by German bombs.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 11:37:57 AM »
I see my youthful past in every paragraph. it is when Peter Mac is mentioned that i realise, he was my hero, but i could have sworn he was many many years older than me, seems he wasn't and now i'm totally depressed.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 08:02:51 PM »
Excellent article and really feels like it takes you back in time.

Funnily enough, was just reading about the 1968 season.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 05:16:45 PM »
I was at the Hull game where a pathetic midfield (Parker, Park) just wilted late on. For me it was a turning point, because I was sure we'd bounce back to the First Division, and this game blew away any such thoughts.

Offline steamer

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 06:02:37 PM »
Now we are moving in to real time, with my memories and newspaper cuttings at hand

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 07:50:16 PM »
My mom never took us to Villa Park but she took us to Aston Park once to visit Aston Hall and it was the week the
AV floodlights were installed - historical magnificence, and Aston Hall was ok too!

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 07:58:37 PM »

My mum has only been to Villa Park once
John Robsons testimonial around 77/78

She didn’t support Villa though and was a Man United season ticket holder for many years along with my dad
Dunno if I've mentioned this before, but my great gran only went to one football match in her life - the 1923 FA Cup Final (aka the white horse final). She was under the impression that every football game was like that, and so refused to go to another game and wouldn't let me grandad go to games. He had to follow football through the results in the paper. He saw that Villa scored a lot of goals (this would've been the early-mid 1930s, so Pongo Waring era) and decided they were the team for him. Anyway, he started going to Villa Park after he left home, and remained a season ticket holder right up until just before he died.

My grandad always said that if the only sides he'd seen were West Ham and Bolton, he wouldn't think much of football either!

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 01:22:55 AM »
I shudder to recall that the huge semi-final crowd at VP happened at a time when our attendances were crawling down to the 13,000 mark!

Biggest club in the midlands? By reputation, not in reality.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal