collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 01:28:12 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by usav
[Today at 01:25:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:22:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 01:19:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 01:10:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 361435 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #2025 on: January 19, 2022, 01:51:26 PM »
some of you guys are going to be throwing yourself off rocks when we eventually get a DCM in and he doesn’t make the big massive difference your all expecting

This reminds me of when we had Kevin Richardson and he did so much work and kept our midfield in line, organising and holding and us hear people grumbling about him in the stand or our coach back to Devon.

Richardson was always the one to change if we were to improve, despite having already won two titles and finishing second with us and winning a league Cup as captain.

We had him as first goalscorer at about 20-1 for years and not once did it come in.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2026 on: January 19, 2022, 02:07:35 PM »
Rico always a good solid performer and I recall he had a purple patch at one point where he either got in the England team or was being heavily touted for it.
As for moaning about a new DCM not having an impact, it would be nice to finally see a real effort made to get one. There is always the risk it doesn’t work, for example you won’t find me moaning about the clubs efforts to replace Grealish as the three bought in seemed a good idea on the face of it. The fact that the results have been mixed is one of those things really.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2027 on: January 19, 2022, 02:08:51 PM »
Venables give him a cap against Greece I think, it was not long before he moved on ironically.

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #2028 on: January 19, 2022, 02:16:37 PM »
Suarez is knocking on the door of 36, though, being able to attract a player that age doesn't really say much.

Plus he's a nasty racist piece of shit. No thanks.
Exactly. He's an arsehole and I don't want him anywhere near our football club.

Offline mike

« Reply #2029 on: January 19, 2022, 02:26:40 PM »
Suarez is knocking on the door of 36, though, being able to attract a player that age doesn't really say much.

I think the racism bit is overblown:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/26/luis-suarez-am-i-a-racist-no-absolutely-not-i-was-horrified
John Terry had said and done worse and there was lots of opposition to him coming to Villa. He was instrumental in us getting promoted and being in the position we are now and I think most people look on his time here as positive and his behaviour was exemplary. I'm not condoning anything Suarez said of course not but his explanation about it being more of a language thing at least holds some credibility. If we sign Suarez and he bangs in a few vital goals for us I'm pretty sure his past indiscrepancies will become less of an issue. Things are moving fast and our owners are clearly fed up of long termism and want to get the ball rolling. This is the big push for the top and they have decided to back Gerrard to get us there.

With respect, saying 'why, black man,' is not a language thing, it's singling out his race during an argument.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2030 on: January 19, 2022, 02:27:20 PM »
Hmmm, not too sure about that. A top class DM will really help. I look at Kante at Chelsea and he covers some unbelievable ground and does everything so simple. Be a huge positive

That’s the problem though picking the best in the business in that position and saying we need a player like that is easy

what we really mean is we want Kante Rice Philips Bisouma, Now they would make a massive  difference
but unless it’s someone of that quality difference would be minimal if anything on what we have already

And let’s face it three of those mentioned above aren’t coming and the other is on a sex assault investigation so I’m guessing that’s not happening in this window either

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2031 on: January 19, 2022, 02:30:38 PM »
Think Suarez would be a bad move and he’d command very high wages.

Would he cost that much extra though?

Say Gerrard doesn't fancy Ings and we sell him for 20m this summer as opposed to keeping him a year and selling him for 15m. That's 5m for.a year plus whatever Ings is on a week. Aside from what Suarez adds on the pitch there are the intangibles of increased profile for the club, players signing for us / extending contracts etc. We have experienced cover for a year whilst we look for younger options.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #2032 on: January 19, 2022, 02:58:29 PM »
Think Suarez would be a bad move and he’d command very high wages.

Would he cost that much extra though?

Say Gerrard doesn't fancy Ings and we sell him for 20m this summer as opposed to keeping him a year and selling him for 15m. That's 5m for.a year plus whatever Ings is on a week. Aside from what Suarez adds on the pitch there are the intangibles of increased profile for the club, players signing for us / extending contracts etc. We have experienced cover for a year whilst we look for younger options.

Ings is only on a 3 year contract,  so getting the theoretical £15m you mention would work from a FFP point of view. But if we don't, adding Suarez means adding another big earner into the squad. It's the creep up of earners that should be the concern. It's all well and good if the top earners are delivering but if they're not, you end up in an Everton situation where they have money but can't spend it because of FFP restrictions. One summer they're signing James Rodriguez, Allan and Docuaore. The next, D.gray and A.Townsend on frees with El Ghazi on loan. From the financials, that's my concern. It's very easy to start down that road. Wouldn't want us to waste the situation we got ourselves in where we can currently afford the likes of Coutinho. Would Suarez only come for a year? 2 years is too long, especially if other options become available. This is all purely from the financial perspective. Have more concerns on the playing perspective.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2033 on: January 19, 2022, 03:10:33 PM »
Ings is only on a 3 year contract,  so getting the theoretical £15m you mention would work from a FFP point of view. But if we don't, adding Suarez means adding another big earner into the squad. It's the creep up of earners that should be the concern. It's all well and good if the top earners are delivering but if they're not, you end up in an Everton situation where they have money but can't spend it because of FFP restrictions. One summer they're signing James Rodriguez, Allan and Docuaore. The next, D.gray and A.Townsend on frees with El Ghazi on loan. From the financials, that's my concern. It's very easy to start down that road. Wouldn't want us to waste the situation we got ourselves in where we can currently afford the likes of Coutinho. Would Suarez only come for a year? 2 years is too long, especially if other options become available. This is all purely from the financial perspective. Have more concerns on the playing perspective.

Agree with that, I would only be in favour of Suarez coming if Ings was sold on for decent fee. Who knows what sort of deal could be worked out e.g. 12-18 months at Villa on reasonable wages followed by a lucrative deal with Las Vegas Villans. Anyway I trust NSWE and Purslow to do the right thing financially and leave the footballing judgements to Gerrard, Lange etc.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2034 on: January 19, 2022, 03:11:17 PM »
According to the Sky Spanish football expert - Suarez could be on his way to us as he has cannot get a game for his current club

He was asked what type of player that Villa would be getting, the expert replied -

That Suarez is not the player you remember at Liverpool and he does not do a lot of running but if put the ball in the box for him he will score goals.

The opposite of this season's version of Ollie then.

Put me down as being in favour of us of having a forward who is able to score when in the box

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #2035 on: January 19, 2022, 03:17:36 PM »
According to the Sky Spanish football expert - Suarez could be on his way to us as he has cannot get a game for his current club

He was asked what type of player that Villa would be getting, the expert replied -

That Suarez is not the player you remember at Liverpool and he does not do a lot of running but if put the ball in the box for him he will score goals.

The opposite of this season's version of Ollie then.

Put me down as being in favour of us of having a forward who is able to score when in the box

Isn't that Ings though? Can't run but will score if you supply him with chances.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #2036 on: January 19, 2022, 03:19:00 PM »
Suarez - no thanks.   He's 34, not the direction we want to head.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2037 on: January 19, 2022, 03:21:05 PM »

I think the racism bit is overblown:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/26/luis-suarez-am-i-a-racist-no-absolutely-not-i-was-horrified
John Terry had said and done worse and there was lots of opposition to him coming to Villa. He was instrumental in us getting promoted and being in the position we are now and I think most people look on his time here as positive and his behaviour was exemplary. I'm not condoning anything Suarez said of course not but his explanation about it being more of a language thing at least holds some credibility. If we sign Suarez and he bangs in a few vital goals for us I'm pretty sure his past indiscrepancies will become less of an issue. Things are moving fast and our owners are clearly fed up of long termism and want to get the ball rolling. This is the big push for the top and they have decided to back Gerrard to get us there.

With respect, saying 'why, black man,' is not a language thing, it's singling out his race during an argument.

In my experience living on a Spanish speaking island in Tenerife it is perfectly acceptable to say "Hola Moreno" (hello black guy) to a black, mixed race or darker skinned person. It is a friendly and acceptable greeting. But in the case of Suarez back in the day he didn't use the term "Moreno" he used the term "Negrito" which doesn't need much translating even if you aren't familiar with the Spanish language.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2038 on: January 19, 2022, 03:22:45 PM »
This time last year Suarez was scoring 11 goals in 9 games in La Liga.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #2039 on: January 19, 2022, 03:28:41 PM »
Suarez' 'Current Team' is listed as us on his Wikipedia page! Must be true (it wasn't me).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal