collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 03:11:55 PM]

Champions League Contention by Smithy
[Today at 03:09:34 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by villaman13
[Today at 03:05:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:57:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 03:11:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 03:11:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:11:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Steve67
[Today at 03:10:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Deano's Mullet
[Today at 03:10:21 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Smithy
[Today at 03:09:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 03:09:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ez
[Today at 03:08:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matty Cash - Polish international  (Read 119200 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Matty Cash - Polish international
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2022, 08:26:46 PM »
Cash has that kind of scissor kick tackle style. It's not very brave or clever (a sharp forward can mug him easily as they know Cash likes going to ground). But the masses lap it up.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2022, 09:18:54 PM »
A player winning the ball is now lapped it up? Football snobbery or what.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2022, 11:12:29 PM »
Cash clearly scissors him in exactly the same way Mee did.  The tackles are virtually identical.  What replays are you watching?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2022, 05:28:28 PM »

For me Cash caught him with his trailing leg whereas Mee scissored his leg, neither are great but the latter is far more reckless.

That's how I saw it as well. It looked like a hard but fair tackle watching it at the game. As you say, he goes in hard with his main leg, then catches him with trailing leg. With Mee on Wesley, he goes in with all his weight on Wesley's knee with both legs at the same time. I don't quite agree that the stills add nothing, I think they make Mee's look much worse, which it was.

https://wittyfutty.com/2020/01/video-ben-mee-horror-tackle-that-injured-wesley-for-the-rest-of-the-season/

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2022, 05:35:49 PM »
This really is tinted specs stuff.  Mee's left leg is bent, as is Cash's.  The only real difference is Mee came more from behind & side and Cash more from the front & side.

You really think there's a discernable difference between these two stills?  Both players are high, have legs either side of the attacker, their left leg bent and their bollocks at or above knee height.  If you do, I doubt many non-Villa fans will agree.

Either way, we arguing about which shit stinks most here.  They are both terrible challenges which caused season ending injuries.

Offline Risso

« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »
There's a huge difference. If you look at the videos of the two incidents. Matt Cash is almost at a standstill, and sort of tries to swipe the ball away from Doherty. Ben Mee is running in at full pelt. Even then, Doherty plays on for another 15 minutes before going off.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2022, 06:15:27 PM »
Cash made a firm and legal challenge. He didn't go into hurt the player and it was unfortunate that Doherty got injured. It happens sometimes. Son's nothing challenge on Gomez for example, it's a contact sport with risk.

I wouldn't want Cash to avoid hitting a Leicester player next week comprehensively because he made a firm and legitimate tackle that had an unfortunate consequence that put a player out for a month.

Mee's challenge was designed to injure, as he had done before.

Online rougegorge

« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2022, 02:53:26 PM »
There's a huge difference. If you look at the videos of the two incidents. Matt Cash is almost at a standstill, and sort of tries to swipe the ball away from Doherty. Ben Mee is running in at full pelt. Even then, Doherty plays on for another 15 minutes before going off.
If that is someone almost at a standstill, I wouldn't like to be on the end of Cash's full pelt. Just because Doherty played on for a while doesn't mean anything.

Both were bad tackles.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2022, 03:49:05 PM »
If that is someone almost at a standstill, I wouldn't like to be on the end of Cash's full pelt. Just because Doherty played on for a while doesn't mean anything.

Both were bad tackles.

I don't think anyone is disputing that the Cash one wasn't a bit rough (I certainly expected him to get booked for it) but comparing it to the Mee one is silly and I can only assume it's because are forgetting just how poor that tackle was (and how fucked up the laws are that saw him not even concede a free kick).

That said if you or chris can show me an image of Dohertys knee and ankle bent like this, or with Dohertys foot trapped underneath Cash's arse, than I'll change my mind:

If not then maybe you need to appreciate that the 2 challenges are on very different places on the scale.

As way of acknowledgement I think that image is one of the worst I've ever seen in sport and should've resulted in an immediate review of the laws.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #144 on: April 14, 2022, 04:40:54 PM »
I don't think the fact that Wesleys leg was planted at the moment of impact and Doherty rode it better (but still incurred a major injury) has any relevance to the nature of the challenge.  The point I make is both challenges were largely the same - same height, high speed & force, legs scissoring the oponent - and the level of injury inflicted it is more down to luck than judgment. 

I've not particular desire to hang Cash out to dry, but in my opinion it is highly hypocrytical to have slagged of Mee for two years and then brush off a spookily similar challenge by our own player. 

Offline Risso

« Reply #145 on: April 14, 2022, 05:21:00 PM »
I don't think the two tackles are remotely similar. That's not rose-tinted spectacles, I just don't think they are.

Offline Risso

« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2022, 05:30:06 PM »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2022, 06:50:26 PM »
I don't think the two tackles are remotely similar. That's not rose-tinted spectacles, I just don't think they are.

Agreed, and if you watch the videos of both back-to-back I don't see how you could see it any other way. I think Cash could easily have been booked for his (given the Mings booking against Arsenal nothing would surprise me any more).

Offline Risso

« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2022, 06:53:55 PM »

Agreed, and if you watch the videos of both back-to-back I don't see how you could see it any other way. I think Cash could easily have been booked for his (given the Mings booking against Arsenal nothing would surprise me any more).

If you look at the video link above (and that's how I saw it in real time from The Trinity) you can see he runs towards Doherty, checks his pace, then sort of tries to hook his right leg round round to clear the ball away. It didn't look that bad at that time, and neither Doherty or his team mates really reacted. The fact that Doherty is now out for the season doesn't make it anywhere near as bad as Mee's. He also might have made it worse by playing on for 15 minutes.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2022, 07:00:18 PM »
The more i look back at it, the less i see it as a terrible tackle, a bit like my starting position on Saturday as one of the masses lapping it up!! As i said earlier in the thread i feel for Doherty though.
Stills tell only a partial story at a fixed moment in time, but if we’re using stills to compare, Mee is nowhere near the ball, whereas the ball isnt in the Cash still as he won it cleanly and knocked it out for a throw.

Its a really difficult one in general though as i love a really strong tackle, as we saw on Saturday with both Mings and Cash it can help drive a team on, but sometimes without intention players get hurt. If we want to avoid that altogether then fine, the games heading that way anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal