collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread EFL 3rd Round.  (Read 12194 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Chelsea vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread EFL 3rd Round.
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2021, 10:20:58 PM »

Deano 8 - ballsy selection but fully vindicated. Seeing Tuchel throw on likes of Lukaku and Mount while we brought on kids was brilliant.

Well it's obviously not *fully* vindicated or we'd be in the next round.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2021, 10:21:16 PM »
Disappointed we didn't have more experience on the bench, but can't fault the players at all and great experience for the youngsters.

I do blame Smith for putting Nakamba in the 5 penalty takers. Did anyone think he would score?

Nakamba played very well but I have to say I was stunned to see him taking one. Ball striking not his strength. Archer after scoring surely would have been a better bet.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2021, 10:21:52 PM »
Anyhow.
We are going to give them a game on Saturday. 

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:01 PM »
Tonight showed our improved squad depth as well as the quality emerging from our academy. Also I couldn't help but think Cameron Archer has gone from failing to get a chance off the bench at Solihull Moors to scoring against the European champions and making royalty jump off their seat in less than six months. Hopefully he will be emblematic to our trajectory this season.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:20 PM »
Great effort from the team and so pleased that Archer got his goal.
Some real positives from tonight and valuable experience for the younger members of the squad.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:21 PM »
Posted from other thread!

Steer 7 - some fine saves, never lets us down
Cash 8 - I've been critical of him in the past but he was brilliant tonight and great assist
Tuanzebe 7 - lost Tuchel a bit for the goal but that aside was very good, he's a fine defender at RCB
Hause 8 - A warrior, especially when Lukaku came on. Never lets us down and a warrior in the air.
Young 6 - lots of critical comments on match thread but I thought he did well v CHO. Not great with the ball though.
Nakamba 8 - excellent performance, surprising me of late
Sanson 7/Chucky 6 - Sanson was very impressive before injury, Chucky took a while to settle but made a few nice runs
Buendia 6 - did ok, missed a big chance but grafted hard. Bit of work to make our first X1
Traore 7 - fitness coming along nicely, surprised to see him come off to be honest so hope not injury related
AEG 7 - poor in first half bit seemed to grow a pair at half time and battled far harder in second half. Always gets into good positions, decent chance missed
Archer 8 - missed two big chances but a truly brilliant header. Good movement throughout

Deano 8 - ballsy selection but fully vindicated. Seeing Tuchel throw on likes of Lukaku and Mount while we brought on kids was brilliant.

I thought Tuchel was on the bench with his coaching staff and subs?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:28 PM »
Proud of the team that played tonight however with a slightly different selection we would have won this in the 90 minutes. And surely the young boys Chukwuemeka or Archer would have been a better choice than Nakamba.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2021, 10:22:59 PM »
In the longer term, maybe a good call to keep the kids away from the penalties. Their confidence building is just as vital as building their skills and experience.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2021, 10:23:01 PM »
Playing devil's advocate, if Ings or Watkins had been on the bench then Cam might not have been on the pitch to score the equaliser.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2021, 10:23:30 PM »
Think the fact we were shooting penalties towards the home fans didn’t help too. But maybe that’s just making an excuse.
Wasn't Ashley raging when the ref did the toss-up for ends? I think he did a best of three,bizarrely

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2021, 10:24:07 PM »
Strong effort. Hope the injuries aren’t bad.

Great Archer scored and the youngsters looked promising.

Think we got the balance of the bench wrong. It may not have made a difference, but Ollie or Ings coming on would have been good.

If they were...its likely Archer may have been withdrawn before his goal. I'd have liked Watkins on the bench as I think he needs the minutes but those 90 mins tonight will have brought Archer on hugely.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2021, 10:24:07 PM »
Think the fact we were shooting penalties towards the home fans didn’t help too. But maybe that’s just making an excuse.
Wasn't Ashley raging when the ref did the toss-up for ends? I think he did a best of three,bizarrely

I thought it looked fishy.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2021, 10:24:20 PM »
Deano 8 - ballsy selection but fully vindicated.
Plucky performance yes but how was the selection fully vindicated? We are out of the cup.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2021, 10:24:22 PM »
In the longer term, maybe a good call to keep the kids away from the penalties. Their confidence building is just as vital as building their skills and experience.

Agreed. I think it was the correct decision.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2021, 10:25:05 PM »
Sanson was hopefully just a concussion sub?!  I watched the game with no sound..  He looked good whilst on the pitch.  Archer could have had a hat trick and if the first had gone in he probably would have, a coming of age performance.  The timing and the pace of his runs were superb, a prospect for sure.  The back up CB's were sound, by and large, and even Nakamba performed better than I expected.  Chucky did ok.  El Ghazi did what he does.  Traore looked on the verge of being a very useful addition....  It's positive despite the doomsayers worst predictions...  "disgrace", "if we are still in it a half time it will be the best I expect" ... from memory, sorry for misquoting you Monty.  Happy in defeat...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal