collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa: 150 Years Squads & Souvenirs by Towser
[Today at 11:04:41 AM]

Re: Reserves and Academy 2023/24 by PeterWithe
[Today at 10:58:50 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithe
[Today at 10:55:40 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 10:53:35 AM]

[Today at 10:48:46 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 10:47:01 AM]

[Today at 10:46:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New contracts.  (Read 1894 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
New contracts.
« on: September 19, 2021, 05:39:14 PM »
Quite interesting looking at our squad the amount that have less than two years left on their deal now.

Probably big part of success of last year is how settled the squad is and reflected in the team spirit so it's always a balancing act of moving on players who are reasonably reliable as that can impact of dynamic in dressing room.

Anyway think these have less than two years left on their deal now:

Hause
Luiz
Trez
Nakamba
AEG
Wesley
Gulibert
Kalinic

Last three won't be here this time next year, them being all loaned out again says it all.

First five are interesting. Think Trez might have been moved on but for the serious injury and his opportunities will be limited once he returns as Bailey simply is a level above and we also have Traore as wide right option.

Who of the others would you give a new deal to? For me Luiz staying is a must as his potential is ridiculous and he's been very sharp since coming back early this season. No issue with Hause staying as he's the sort of good backup who won't complain and will come in and have 5-10 good games as he did last season. I suspect though the plan is we'll move him on and sign Axel fulltime.

Think AEG and Nakamba will go. Plan perhaps might've been to do it in the summer given both had two years left, more difficult to get decent fees for them if they just have 12 months. I guess the Ward Prowse interest was due to Nakamba and possibly Luiz leaving in near future so we'll probably go back in next summer as I imagine his new Southampton contract will have some sort of release clause.

Would be good if we could annually raise 30-40m each summer from squad players who don't play a huge amount, Luiz wouldn't be far off that on his own but want to keep him.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: New contracts.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »
Luiz is the priority amongst that lot.  Crucial player already and likely to improve.
There will be lots of clubs fluttering their eyelashes at him so the sooner it is done the better.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 06:42:37 PM »
Martinez should be the priority, in my arrogant opinion.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 07:36:19 AM »
Luiz obviously needs to be tied down. The last 2 let go. The rest, depends if they're happy being squad players.

Trezeguet only 26. paid 9m for him. Offer him a new deal
AEG only 26, paid 8m for him. Offer him a new deal

My thinking is it will cost more to replace them as reserves at the moment and the 1st team should be the priority for spending.

Surprised Wesley only has 2 years left. If we get a decent offer  next summer then flog, if not offer him a new deal - a lot of money to write off otherwise for a guy who's only 24.

Nakamba and Hause  i'd make a decision next summer and see if they can force their way into the side  Hause cost peanuts and we'd probably get that back.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 07:43:54 AM »

Surprised Wesley only has 2 years left. If we get a decent offer  next summer then flog, if not offer him a new deal - a lot of money to write off otherwise for a guy who's only 24.

Trouble is if you offer a new contract that you're stuck with a player on x £million per year for the next three to four years, so I think this is one we'll probably take a big hit on. As you say, hope he does OK in Belgium, and we get something close to £10m for him, and at least we'd then not make a loss in the accounts.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »

Trouble is if you offer a new contract that you're stuck with a player on x £million per year for the next three to four years, so I think this is one we'll probably take a big hit on. As you say, hope he does OK in Belgium, and we get something close to £10m for him, and at least we'd then not make a loss in the accounts.

Dunno. Do you think he's on that much coming from Bruges and only being 22 at the time? Says 1.8m a year on wiki (I know). Obviously if we get a good offer i'd flog but its not gonna come from Bruges - just don't want him turning up in the premier in 4 years time for 40m. Also, how the feck did Davis get a contract till 2024!?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
Luiz, as has been said is the priority. Nakamba, depends if they see him continuing to improve, i think he has improved, but still has games when he looks dreadful.
I think AEG has come on lots, but im not sure we’re ever going to get more for him than now, and Bailey, Beundia and probably Traore are better, Philogene-Bidace coming through.
Love Trezs effort, but no where near the class of all the above, we also dont know how hes injury will impact him, i think we need to move him on with thanks. The rest can go.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
Forgot about Hause, really like him, never seems to complain and always seems to do a job, would keep him if happy, if not and wants first team football, fair enough.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 09:40:47 AM »
For me, a few are obvious and barely merit discussion  ...

Luiz - keep
Guilbert - release
Kalinic - release

Then there's the injured pair

Trez - sell.  I get sickbeggar's point and sort of agree, but he's nowhere near the quality of the other wingers we have.

Wesley - wait and see.  If we're playing 2 up front as a regular thing, I'd be more inclined to keep him.  If we're only doing that against a hanful teams, I'd be more inclined to move him on.

Then the other 3 ...

Hause - keep.  He's been a solid backup.  It's not as if he's playing regularly anyway, so it's not going to affect his sell on value much if we sell him this season, next season, or the season after.  Do see him as more of a stopgap until we get some of our U23 crop pushing for first team places, but I'm completely happy with him being there until then.

Nakamba - keep.  He's no world beater, but we don't have a player who does what he does, as well as he does it.  Quite happy to stick with him for the time being.

El Goalzi - keep keep keep.  He's a good lad, he scores goals, I get the impression that he's quite happy with his current amount of game time, and he'd cost an arm & a leg to replace.  Sickbeggar's totally on it with this one - he's a lovely little player, and I think we're a long way off being too good for the likes of him.  Perfectly acceptable squad player for a side challenging for Europe IMO.

I assume Ashley Young's contract's also up this season or next!  He's harder to judge, because he's that bit older.  Based on Ashley Young right now, I'd keep him.  See how he is at the end of the season, though.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
Keep Hause Luiz Nakamba.
The rest let go.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 10:26:33 AM »

Dunno. Do you think he's on that much coming from Bruges and only being 22 at the time? Says 1.8m a year on wiki (I know). Obviously if we get a good offer i'd flog but its not gonna come from Bruges - just don't want him turning up in the premier in 4 years time for 40m. Also, how the feck did Davis get a contract till 2024!?

Yeah Davis got a new 3 year deal at some point last season. Fair to say any realistic chance of him breaking through has gone now and he is of course injured again currently.

He'll go for a couple of million to championship club or league one.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 10:29:41 AM »
Keep Hause Luiz Nakamba.
The rest let go.

Yes.  I might've put Marvellous in the 'let go' box but he showed v Everton that is is capable of playing at a good level. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
It was a new four year deal for Davis last season. One of those rare head-scratchers from the manager/directors that leave you thinking "what the actual fuck?!"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:46:40 AM by Risso »

Offline Scovilla

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 10:45:52 AM »
Keep Hause Luiz Nakamba.
The rest let go.
I agree with that.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »
Luiz - get him signed, very important player and big future
Hause - if he is happy keep
Trez - let him go.  Maybe an extra year if it maximises sell on.
Nakamba - keep if he is happy
AEG - keep
Wesley - cut our losses
Gulibert - leave
Kalinic - leave

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal