collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What do you want from life?  (Read 5768 times)

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
Re: What do you want from life?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2021, 11:18:24 PM »
I want us to buy the title and be called plastic fans on Wembley Way as we prepare to swot some also ran aside for yet another trophy.

I'm not joking

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2021, 11:21:45 PM »
An interview from Edens or Sawiris would be most timely (as long as they say exciting things).

I remember Dave a while ago printing a distillation of what makes a winning team. One of the points read something like 'owners who do not interfere with playing matters and do not seek attention' 10 out of 10 for Messrs Edens and Sawiris so far on this score. TBH I don't even know what they look like and keep forgetting their names.

Abramovich?  Glazers?  Shaikh Monsoor?  These are hardly shrinking violets. 

We either buy into the fact that winning stuff consistently is predicated on fuck tones of money or accept we won’t do that (and try and ‘do a Leicester’). 

The Ellis approach still casts a shadow over us in this respect. I don't want to hear from the owners. I don't particularly want to see them, unless it's in the royal box. I want them to employ people to do the sort of things that the travel agent used to pay himself to do and let them get on with it.

Aye.  It’s interesting isn’t it., these figures and their behaviour while at the helm have an indelible imprint on the soul (or something less significant) of the club and our expectations of it.,

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2021, 11:31:49 PM »
I want us to buy the title and be called plastic fans on Wembley Way as we prepare to swot some also ran aside for yet another trophy.

I'm not joking

What did I always say? To get to where we want we have to become what we hate.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 06:54:50 AM »
I want the Cup first. That's the only one I haven't seen.

I think we're building fir long term, sustainable success rather than a short term thing, hence the usual signings of younger players and the very big investment in the Academy.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2021, 08:43:58 AM »
I think you're spot on with what we're doing, Drummond. I just wish it was a little less HS2; none of us are getting any younger and I'd like a go on it before I die.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2021, 08:50:21 AM »

I'm not joking

Perhaps it's my age but I don't want to be like Man City. Yes I want to win things but that sort of domination that leads to complacency and removes the unpredictability that I think the game thrives on.
I'd be happy with a trophy every few years, and decent finishes in the top flight. You might want to chuck in the title if you're feeling generous.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2021, 11:33:30 AM »
When you haven't won anything for over quarter of a century trying many different approaches (could argue we tried the quick fit route under Lerner but just signed too many similar players) then really patience is quite thin. I do think it's been decided at the top to make this a holding season if you like and brief to DS is to promote as many ready young players into matchday 20 as possible and play some of them when possible.

Sort of what we did from 2010-12 but hopefully we're in a better place as a club now and certainly got better senior players to step up when needed. We'll see in about two years whether this strategy was right.

The Brief to DS will also be try your best to finish top 10 and have a good cup run doing that rather than bombing down to 15-16th and losing in 3rd round of FA cup.

My hunch is while the manager has done very well so far I'm not convinced at all he's got enough about him to eventually push us into the top bracket of clubs. Think it's a bit like Solskjaer at Man. United. Won't win anything of note but in a few years his work will be more valued at pushing them in right direction before a Conte came in and got them the trophies.

Think it will be same for DS here and get the feeling we'll reach point in next 18 months when we have to make that decision.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:35:54 AM by SoccerHQ »

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »

I'm not joking

Perhaps it's my age but I don't want to be like Man City. Yes I want to win things but that sort of domination that leads to complacency and removes the unpredictability that I think the game thrives on.
I'd be happy with a trophy every few years, and decent finishes in the top flight. You might want to chuck in the title if you're feeling generous.
Yeah, I absolutely agree.  I don't want us to absolutely dominate the game.  I'd genuinely rather be in a situation that we were during the 90s.  Regular cup finals, but not so regular that they lose the novelty.  A charge at the league title every 4 or 5 years.  That, I think, is the key to happiness in football.  Being good enough to win stuff, but not so good that "winning stuff" isn't enough.  I want us to have a pop at a European trophy every so often.

I like wandering around North Wales and seeing the odd person in a Villa shirt, exchanging "Up the Villa"s with them. It's a rare enough event that it makes both of you smile, but common enough that you get to do it a few times a year.  A big club, but one who people support because they love the Villa, not just the trophies we pick up along the way.  I want Villa Park to have atmosphere.  I don't want to go to watch football in The Emirates or The Emptihad, where there's no atmosphere because everyone's too busy savouring 'the experience' of their one day there.  I want it to be noisy, intimidating, somewhere special to take the kids.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2021, 02:19:16 PM »
Agree with that article completely and the Juninho picture very appropriate. Was gutted we missed him, especially since he'd actually been to the ground for talks.

The one that's nagging away at me now is Kalvin Phillips. Leeds of course wouldn't sell and it's a good sign that we'd identified him for purchase but a massive shame we couldn't get him, how good is he now? He's absolutely perfect as that missing piece in this current team. That was 2 years ago though and you would have thought they would have found a proper alternative by now, i think Nakamba was the second choice at the time but there's no comparison. The big thing for me is that like the article says, we were always one or two short back in the 90's and it's still the case now, despite all the big talk. Very good owners but i wish they would either follow up on the talk or not talk at all.

Personally, i'd like to see us as we were in the 90's but throw a league title and an FA Cup into it. Regular European football, top half pretty much all the time and a few big trophies. We don't have to become Man City or Chelsea although i wouldn't complain.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 02:23:14 PM by Clark W Griswold »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2021, 02:38:47 PM »

I'm not joking

Yeah, I absolutely agree.  I don't want us to absolutely dominate the game.  I'd genuinely rather be in a situation that we were during the 90s.  Regular cup finals, but not so regular that they lose the novelty.  A charge at the league title every 4 or 5 years.  That, I think, is the key to happiness in football.  Being good enough to win stuff, but not so good that "winning stuff" isn't enough.  I want us to have a pop at a European trophy every so often.

I like wandering around North Wales and seeing the odd person in a Villa shirt, exchanging "Up the Villa"s with them. It's a rare enough event that it makes both of you smile, but common enough that you get to do it a few times a year.  A big club, but one who people support because they love the Villa, not just the trophies we pick up along the way.  I want Villa Park to have atmosphere.  I don't want to go to watch football in The Emirates or The Emptihad, where there's no atmosphere because everyone's too busy savouring 'the experience' of their one day there.  I want it to be noisy, intimidating, somewhere special to take the kids.

Count me in with this.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2021, 02:41:24 PM »
Overall, I'd be most happy with Wenger-era Arsenal, long before he was past his sell-by date. Good football, legitimate title challengers, attract CL level players and regular FA Cup winners.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2021, 02:42:41 PM »
For those who don't want us to dominate... say we were top of the league and still in the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup. Which competition would you want us to lose in?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »

I'm not joking

Count me in with this.

Me too -“ Being good enough to win stuff, but not so good that "winning stuff" isn't enough.”

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »
I want us to win everything with the best players in the world all brought through from our youth set up which has a constant supply of skillful players so that when one of their heads are turned by a plastic club we have a ready replacement who is equal or better. I want us to be the club, the only club who doesn't buy proven players, but the club that manufactures them and they grow with us. If they all happen to be Brummies from a long line of Brumminess with a smattering of Irish then even better.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2021, 03:00:14 PM »
For those who don't want us to dominate... say we were top of the league and still in the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup. Which competition would you want us to lose in?

Goal of the month

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal