collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Line up and formation for 2021-22  (Read 17649 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Line up and formation for 2021-22
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »
First game that lineup will be nothing like everyone thinks

He’s a cautious man is Smith he doesn’t throw everyone in straight away you’ll get Watkins El ghazi Traore
Maybe one of the forward newcomers will start rest will be on the bench

Emi2 will probably start because he's been with the squad a while. Ings would have no problem starting straight away.

It's Bailey who I expect not to see at all in the first game. Maybe an appearance from the bench against Brentford Newcastle.

EDIT - Keep forgetting that the first game is away at Watford
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:09:13 AM by UK Redsox »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 09:58:46 AM »
Personally not convinced Watkins is good enough as a winger or deserves to be moved from the main striker role.  His pressing last year was key for us and that would be lost if he also has to protect his full-back.
I kind of agree, although you may be surprised how hard Ings works.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 10:08:33 AM »
Personally not convinced Watkins is good enough as a winger or deserves to be moved from the main striker role.  His pressing last year was key for us and that would be lost if he also has to protect his full-back.
I kind of agree, although you may be surprised how hard Ings works.

For me it should be one or the other rather than trying to crow bar both into every line-up.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
If Watkins and Ings play together I hope it's as a 9 and 10 (respectively) rather than us shoe-horning Watkins out on to the wing. Ings is a fantastic player but Watkins is still the best pressing 9 at the club and his energy was a huge part of what we did well last year.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 10:14:55 AM »
A Wenger style 442?

Bergkamp and Henry = Ings and Watkins.
Overmars = Bailey
Romford Pele / Viera/ Lundberg = McGinn / ????? / Buendia.

richtheholtender

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 10:16:51 AM »
I cannot work it out.  My only conclusion is we will have options.

We probably needs to shift a few players otherwise we could have bomb squad rotting the morale from the inside.

I actually don't get that vibe. One thing I would say about this team they're all very likeable. We've got rid of the last weed in the garden yesterday. It was covered by flowers but we soon picked it out.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »
I suspect given Dean called Bailey a striker, that it's a flexible front three with Ings central, Bailey right and Ollie left, Emi 2 No. 10 then two of McGinn or Sanson and Marv or Doug at the base of the midfield triangle.

Certainly a change in shape, but to be fair there are so many options, which should allow us to adpt more.

Yes I can see us going more Liverpool like

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »

He’s a cautious man is Smith he doesn’t throw everyone in straight away you’ll get Watkins El ghazi Traore

I think this is exactly right John. Smith is cautious and although an attacking coach, rarely throws caution to the wind. It’s doubtful that Bailey will have had that much time in the country never mind working on tactics with his teammates. Does he have to isolate for 10 days when arriving from the Caribbean??
Buendia has been with the club for a couple of months and will start I think and he may at a push play Ings as well, but at least one of if note both Traore and/El Ghazi will start I feel, probably El Ghazi given Traores had an op.

My guess for the line up/formation against Watford is this:

Martinez

Cash.             Konsa.  Mings.       Targett

McGinn.  Nakamba

Buendia

El Ghazi.                Ings.              Watkins

With Watkins and Ings inter changing. Could even be Traore on the right El Ghazi on the left and Watkins up front with Ings on the bench.
Not saying this will be the team/formation going forwards.

Offline Bryan

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2021, 10:27:27 AM »
Is Traore injured at the moment?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »

I think this is exactly right John. Smith is cautious and although an attacking coach, rarely throws caution to the wind. It’s doubtful that Bailey will have had that much time in the country never mind working on tactics with his teammates. Does he have to isolate for 10 days when arriving from the Caribbean??
Buendia has been with the club for a couple of months and will start I think and he may at a push play Ings as well, but at least one of if note both Traore and/El Ghazi will start I feel, probably El Ghazi given Traores had an op.

My guess for the line up/formation against Watford is this:

Martinez

Cash.             Konsa.  Mings.       Targett

McGinn.  Nakamba

Buendia

El Ghazi.                Ings.              Watkins

With Watkins and Ings inter changing. Could even be Traore on the right El Ghazi on the left and Watkins up front with Ings on the bench.
Not saying this will be the team/formation going forwards.

El Ghazi is usually fairly poor on the right, much more of a threat on the left where his shoot on sight policy can pay dividends at times but left wing seems a very competitive spot. Agreed on Buendia starting for sure if fit. I can't really figure out the rest. McGinn on the right maybe, would definitely prefer him further forward this season. Despite his best efforts, his passing isn't really good enough to play in a deep midfield two. Saw best off him at Spurs when he had licence to press from the front.

Sanson might come into the reckoning for Watford if he is fit? Diamond maybe with Watkins drifting to left. Smith has always been a big fan of the two number 8s as he calls it.

-----Nakamba
McGinn, Sanson/new signing
------Buendia
Ings, Watkins

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2021, 12:08:19 PM »
4-3-3
Martinez
Cash
Targett
Konsa
Mings
Nakamba
McGinn
Buendia
Bailey
Ings
Watkins

Subs from
Steer
Guilbert
Hause
Young
Sanson
Ramsey
Luiz
Traore
El Ghazi
Davis

Plus the youngsters.
I’d sell Hourahane and loan Wesley out.
The obvious one from the starting line up is Nakamba to drop down to the subs. He’s more at their level, ok as back up but not likely to push for Europe. I think a right sided centre back for the squad is important, maybe another GK and possibly another attacking midfielder so we could then loan Ramsey out. Otherwise ok I think, anything else a bonus.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2021, 12:30:30 PM »
With all the respects to Watford  I would like us to win against a promoted team and clean sheet whichever team wile first line up with. Even have Ashley Young in Vs his boyhood club and the experience.
Similarly with Newcastle and Brentford at home with the game being after international period Vs Chelsea we see all our signings settled and see how good we are as a top test for the team.

This season rotating could be more of a thing for Dean. I think it needs to be.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2021, 01:10:51 PM »
Watford will want to come at us from the off

Newly promoted they will want to start with a flurry
We’ve not been too good at handling that in the past

With the squad we have we need to fight fire with fire
Don’t let them get a toehold in
We have quality all over the pitch and we need to show it from kick off

richtheholtender

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »
Wouldn't surprise me after signing Ings and Axel if we go 5-3-2 this season. Buendia and Mcginn as CM in front of a DM

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2021, 02:26:53 PM »
Watford will want to come at us from the off

Newly promoted they will want to start with a flurry
We’ve not been too good at handling that in the past

With the squad we have we need to fight fire with fire
Don’t let them get a toehold in
We have quality all over the pitch and we need to show it from kick off

Today is actually 6 years to the day since we won at newly promoted Bournemouth on first day of 15/16 season. Blimey remember the euphoria after that when the new French lads looked decent, defensively we did o.k and Gestede powering in the corner had us all convinced he'd be better than Benteke.

Oh dear. As nice as it is to win the first game it's pretty irrelevant to how the season will go, more important how the following 9 games go after that as a decent guide.

Like many I don't have a clue how we line up next week. I do think the midfield will be Nakamba-McGinn-Buendia and defence picks itself but no idea on what we'll do either side of that in final third.

Probably see likes of El Ghazi starting early weeks just for continuity and he obviously ended last season pretty well.

One thing I will say though....zero excuse for DS this season in games we're winning or losing to only starting thinking of subs from 75th minute onwards. We now have a very competitive squad that can do well in the league and also be competitive in the cups so he must simply use it and rotate when required.

Even in an area we're light in which is defensive midfield we will probably have Doug back as sub option by end of August and he isn't a bad one to put on for last 20 minutes if we're winning, did well in that situation at Spurs so hopefully the manager dosen't sit on his hands if games are drifting away from us and we can actually win a few more from behind as that stopped us getting into the top 10. Very good frontrunners in games but not too much belief if we were a goal down with 25 minutes left we could get anything. That must change this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal