collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Line up and formation for 2021-22  (Read 17471 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Line up and formation for 2021-22
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2021, 04:12:36 PM »
I dont see the recruitment so far as dijointed at all, and we were pretty much to a man saying that we needed to buy another striker as beyond Ollie we had nothing.

I still think we will buy another one, hopefully two midfielders.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2021, 04:12:51 PM »
And this is how I think Smith will line up

McGinn      Luiz             
 Buendia                          Bailey 
                         Ings       
                      Watkins   

Which will be overrun and put Target under pressure again. Has to go with one striker or play the same players like this

Watkins  Ings  Bailey

McGinn Luiz Buendia

Which would look better if Ramsey was in for Buendia, but either way you are playing people out of position.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2021, 08:52:05 PM »
Anyway, if Bert is out this is how I would line up for Saturday:

McGinn       Luiz            Ramsey 

Buendia    Watkins        Bailey

This looks the most balanced for me but fear Smith will shoehorn Ings in somehow.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2021, 09:22:52 PM »
Said it in the other thread just now but Ings signing will cause us loads of issues this season in setting up and getting results v top level teams.

Hopefully two upfront will be enough to see off likes of Newcastle and Burnley but think we'll get picked off far more playing top level teams than last sesson.

If DS had shown at other clubs he could get good results playing two upfront regularly with some sort of midfield diamond behind I'd be more confident but he hasn't.

Closest to this situation was at Brentford when he had Maupay and Watkins for a season and Ollie played wide. From his comments the other day he seems reluctant to do it now but think it will have to be viable option as season goes on if they all stay fit.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2021, 08:24:59 AM »
We'll see after the first few games whether we have a Collymore or Withe situation on our hands.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2021, 10:36:22 AM »
The Blackburn game in the 90s is a good reminder. Playing all three of our strikers 'just because' didn't work, we went 4-0 down by half time and Sir Brian never really recovered. I hope we don't see similar from Smith.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »
Then again, by Spring 1998, wasn't Gregory playing combos of Yorke/Collymore/Savo (or Joachim) and we were in title-winning form (9 wins from our last 11 league games)?

*Just checked on Soccerbase and there were a few games during that spell where we started three up front including the home leg of the UEFA Cup against Atletico when we had to go for it but the most common combination up-front between March and May 1998 was actually Yorke and Joachim. Collymore actually barely featured after his brace against Liverpool in Gregory's first game in charge and his thunderbolt in that game against Atleti. Savo even started more games than him during that spell despite having told Villa that he wanted to leave.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2021, 12:12:34 PM »
Then again, by Spring 1998, wasn't Gregory playing combos of Yorke/Collymore/Savo (or Joachim) and we were in title-winning form (9 wins from our last 11 league games)?

*Just checked on Soccerbase and there were a few games during that spell where we started three up front including the home leg of the UEFA Cup against Atletico when we had to go for it but the most common combination up-front between March and May 1998 was actually Yorke and Joachim. Collymore actually barely featured after his brace against Liverpool in Gregory's first game in charge and his thunderbolt in that game against Atleti. Savo even started more games than him during that spell despite having told Villa that he wanted to leave.
Yes but that doesn't fit most people's agenda on this thread to put us down

Online caster troy

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2021, 12:31:44 PM »

Yes but that doesn't fit most people's agenda on this thread to put us down

No agenda here. I just remember 1997 vividly and the parallels are obvious. Trying to play Savo, Yorke and Collymore at the start of that season did not work and it was the beginning of the end for Sir Brian and Yorke's time at Villa. Specifically that 0-4 against Blackburn ranks up there with my worst ever Villa games, and the thought had crossed my mind we might get a similar situation against Newcastle if we go 442 with two out and out wingers. Hopefully I'm worried over nothing and we reverse that scoreline.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2021, 08:59:16 PM »
Same here Caster, I left at half time in that game, only time I've ever done that. Mind you, I was on a promise with a girl in Leicester who I shared a flat with, so that tipped the scales somewhat.

Online caster troy

« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2021, 09:26:12 PM »
Same here Caster, I left at half time in that game, only time I've ever done that. Mind you, I was on a promise with a girl in Leicester who I shared a flat with, so that tipped the scales somewhat.

You win! I stayed till the end and went home miserable (and alone!).

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2021, 12:13:55 AM »

Difference was Yorke was lead forward under JG (think Collymore and Joachim were sort of played wide of him) whereas BL started that 1997 season with Yorke in number 10 role/central midfield. So a bit like bringing Ollie back on Saturday and playing him there.

We'll soon see what DS does.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2021, 02:40:58 PM »
Very interested to see how we line up Vs Brentford today.
I suspect the formation may be interchangeable
Martinez,
Cash, Konsa, Tuanzebe, Targett,
Douglas Luiz, Chukwuemeka,
Young,
Buendia, El Ghazi, Ings ???
Maybe ?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2021, 09:11:33 PM »
I can see a 3 centre back type of formation Vs Chelsea if Mings is out for 3-4 weeks.
And wing backs for Chelsea match in particular
                        Martinez
           Konsa Hause Tuanzebe
    Young   Douglas McGinn  Targett
                        Buendia
                  Watkins   Ings

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2021, 10:28:20 PM »
I think the return of Bailey might well be all important for Dean's plan. We don't look to play through the midfield at all, so lacking the right personnel up front that means we look terribly cumbersome and disjointed. However, if he's really commited to that front four, play up their noses idea, perhaps the loss of the most direct runner among them alters our whole shape dramatically (and deleteriously).

That's what I'm holding onto anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal