collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Austin MacPhee  (Read 58418 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Austin MacPhee
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2021, 01:24:56 PM »
At every set play we seem to stop and get out the instruction manual for whatever cunning idea has been cooked up. And then we cock it up because the opposition has plenty of time to sort out their defensive shape. There’s nothing wrong with taking a quick throw to an available player (preferably a Villa teammate).
This is interesting, and I think it is potentially at odds with the coaching philosophy of Danks.
Danks seems to be friendly with a guy called Russell Earnshaw (I watched an interview they had), who came to the rugby club where I coached and ran a session. He was very keen on player empowerment, and playing the situation as the player sees fit.
I think that a well drilled and innovative set piece can sit alongside a more pragmatic playing philosophy,  but perhaps it takes a bit of time.
Danks coming in when he did - just after the season started - was not helpful if his philosophy is player-empowerment: that takes a while to persuade players who are probably used to being told what to do that they can 'make it up as it goes along'. Perhaps that's why we're seeing less effort / fewer kms being run?!
What this squad seems to need is a clear and compelling footballing strategy and an explanation of their role in it. Instead, we seem to have the chaos so well summarised by RamboandBruno above.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
The one thing about McPhee (and apologies if this has been touched on already, I've not read it all) but it is quite strange to see a member of the backroom being as vocal as he is on the touchline. I'm not sure how much of that helps. O'Kelly, Terry and Shakespeare tended  to take a step back and observe.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #242 on: November 03, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »
The one thing about McPhee (and apologies if this has been touched on already, I've not read it all) but it is quite strange to see a member of the backroom being as vocal as he is on the touchline. I'm not sure how much of that helps. O'Kelly, Terry and Shakespeare tended  to take a step back and observe.

Presume he has been asked to be vocal and on the touchline, otherwise Dean would have told him not to do this

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #243 on: November 03, 2021, 01:48:15 PM »

I noticed that, I sit level with the dugouts in the UH. So did a mate of mine who watched the game in the pub (Sandwell Town "fan"). He asked me who the bloke with the long hair was and noted that he looked like he was running the show.

Of course my over active imagination has me half hearing McPhee shouting "knock it long", "hit the corners" and "get rid".

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »
The problem is I think the whole new setup probably needed a complete summer working together - to have any chance.

It like when we first came up again - too much has changed.  I in the short term it feels like dean should go back to his formula of last year as close as possible and then mix it up from there.

Currently it feels like they are just trying everything and ending up with nothing.

For example - with set pieces -  I naively thought we might start with getting the basics right before moving onto the advanced stuff

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2021, 01:54:22 PM »
He was better off when he was a Chef on Crossroads.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2021, 10:22:22 PM »
Absolutely guaranteed that Poland score from the first long throw Matiusz Cashki takes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2021, 10:40:10 PM »

He looks one of those annoying "super keen" members of staff desperate to prove how important he is. He went absolutely ballistic at Martinez on Sunday for not immediately going to take a free kick when we were down to 10 men.

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2021, 11:55:58 PM »
Absolutely guaranteed that Poland score from the first long throw Matiusz Cashki takes.
It helps that Lewandowski is the recipient.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #249 on: November 04, 2021, 09:23:06 AM »
... I sit level with the dugouts in the UH...
Sorry, I cannot picture that at all! You're in the Upper Holte and you're level with the dugouts?

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2021, 09:34:57 AM »
Sorry, I cannot picture that at all! You're in the Upper Holte and you're level with the dugouts?

Above the corner flag, TR side so as I look straight ahead I'm looking down the touchline, the technical areas are directly in my eyeline.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2021, 11:06:17 AM »
If we welly the ball into touch again from the KO I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the rest of Friday's game....

It gives me flashbacks of Steve Sims

Offline Mister E

« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2021, 12:42:14 PM »
Above the corner flag, TR side so as I look straight ahead I'm looking down the touchline, the technical areas are directly in my eyeline.
Aaah, got you  ;D
For some reason I read that you were closer to the dugout than that, but - yes - it now makes sense to me.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #253 on: November 04, 2021, 12:46:56 PM »
If we welly the ball into touch again from the KO I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the rest of Friday's game....

Those were the days!! Steve Sims straight out of play just over the head of super David Hunt!!

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »

Those were the days!! Steve Sims straight out of play just over the head of super David Hunt!!

David Hunt. Nice tan, nice hair, terrible footballer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal