collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 09:07:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:07:09 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Olneythelonely
[Today at 09:05:59 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 09:05:21 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:04:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:03:40 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Mister E
[Today at 09:03:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Austin MacPhee  (Read 57881 times)

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

Re: Austin MacPhee
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2021, 09:52:17 PM »
I'm looking for the reason Smith has appeared to abandon his ideology that has served him so well for most of his managerial career. The odd game I can understand but to persist with something that clearly isn't working is baffling. We now play alehouse football, reliant on set pieces rather than good football complimented by set pieces.

There has to be some reason...

Something happens at our club to bring out a horrible stubborn streak in our managers. I can’t put my finger on why, perhaps it is the expectation that they should do better than they usually do.

One thing I’ve noticed has changed with Smith (who I like), he used to talk a good game. I’d usually learn something when I listened to his interviews. But not now. Maybe he’s worn out.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 10:04:03 PM by markeeeebeeee2005 »

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2021, 06:05:40 AM »
Our setpiece coach ,seems to have missed a trick ,on the defensive side of things.  Why don’t we leave two pacey or even sluggish players ,on the halfway line ,giving us an out ball and restricting the amount of players the opposition could send forward.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2021, 06:58:28 AM »
Our setpiece coach ,seems to have missed a trick ,on the defensive side of things.  Why don’t we leave two pacey or even sluggish players ,on the halfway line ,giving us an out ball and restricting the amount of players the opposition could send forward.
As Wolves did. The only team I can recall that has done that recently - they left 3 out, giving their keeper more space to operate and their opponents more to think about immediately after the kick.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »
The tactical genius that is Lee bowyer did this against Albion recently.  It’s not that hard to spot.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2021, 09:31:45 AM »

I'm no tactician, and have never even seen a copy of Inverting the Pyramid, but I can't understand why we don't do this. I'd leave three men up.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »

I'm no tactician, and have never even seen a copy of Inverting the Pyramid, but I can't understand why we don't do this. I'd leave three men up.

I'm not an expert either, but the Dogheads did it, whilst we brought everybody back. One team has conceded a lot of goals from corners recently.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2021, 10:04:34 AM »
I've always thought you should leave at least one player up the pitch, otherwise you have to try and play out from a congested area, hoof the ball or make sure your keeper gets possession.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2021, 12:10:10 PM »
The thinking in the last decade seemed to go towards bringing everyone back and then breaking at pace into wide open spaces as invariably the opposition would leave one or two back and that players would be running onto the ball rather than having to pass the ball to transition up the pitch. I think there were some statistics that backed this approach up that more goals were scored breaking onto the opposition through pace rather than passing phases and having an out ball.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2021, 12:38:17 PM »
I've always thought you should leave at least one player up the pitch, otherwise you have to try and play out from a congested area, hoof the ball or make sure your keeper gets possession.

That's surely coaching 1.0? We even do that on a Tuesday night 5-a-side. Having everybody back just crowds the area, and keeps the pressure on with no outlet to relieve it. And in the specific case of Villa, it usually ends up with Mings wandering around like a lost child in a supermarket, or a fart in a spacesuit.

Online nigel

« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2021, 12:40:31 PM »
As Wolves did. The only team I can recall that has done that recently - they left 3 out, giving their keeper more space to operate and their opponents more to think about immediately after the kick.

I sit at the back of the North Stand and can see the formations really clearly.
As soon as we had possession Wolves dropped into a 5-4-1 formation, too. Hoping to catch us on the break, which they nearly did a couple of times.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2021, 01:38:38 PM »
I would back Bailey in a foot race against anyone virtually in the league and certainly defenders so any half decent ball out of defence towards the centre of the field is bound to give us at least a chance as well as improving us defensively? Maybe I’m not being scientific enough.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2021, 04:25:57 PM »
I would back Bailey in a foot race against anyone virtually in the league and certainly defenders so any half decent ball out of defence towards the centre of the field is bound to give us at least a chance as well as improving us defensively? Maybe I’m not being scientific enough.

Alright tactics Tim

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2021, 07:52:52 AM »
We're not doing well in XG, if that's the kind of thing that bothers you.
https://twitter.com/experimental361/status/1454704982427586564

Offline Drummond

« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2021, 08:20:59 AM »

Alright tactics Tim

I was trying to be amusing and reading it back it looked arsey. Sorry.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2021, 08:24:13 AM »
It’s okay…..bar steward :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal