collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:20:28 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 12:15:02 PM]

Fog stopped play by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:12:31 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 12:03:48 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Mister E
[Today at 11:54:13 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:20:28 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 12:15:02 PM]

Re: Fog stopped play by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:12:31 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 12:11:24 PM]

Re: Fog stopped play by brian green
[Today at 12:10:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 12:09:55 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Mister E
[Today at 12:03:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Gregory Interview.  (Read 12938 times)

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
John Gregory Interview.
« on: June 06, 2021, 11:31:32 PM »
Apologies if already posted.
Matt Kendrick/John Gregory interview.

Long watch and I've only fast forwarded through it. But some good background stories, and Gregory's love of the club shines through.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
Re: John Gregory Interview.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 12:19:07 AM »
Thanks for this, cant wait to watch it :)

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 01:12:53 AM »
Listened to it over the weekend, actually took most of the weekend to get through it. Say what you like about JG, but he’s Villa through and through. I like how Kendrick interviews ex- Villa people- gets them relaxed and let’s them tell their story. Surprised a bit how he didn’t ask more about the Collymore situation. Maybe Gregory refused to discuss it. Great listen though.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 07:18:39 AM »
Yorke shows what he all knew, what a dick he was.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 07:40:30 AM »
What a great interview, he left Villa when we were seventh in the league, we had many chances to be a top four club on a permanent basis the only impediment was Doug Ellis. Gregory is still disgusted with Yorke, the highlight for me was how he left wickham to come back to the Villa. A true Villa man.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 07:54:34 AM »
Its still crazy to think JG left on the back of two straight league wins and with form improving.  It shows the sense of disillusionment he had with Doug. And as a wise man once said, it was a brief period of mourning for him to join Derby as quick as he did. Fond memories of JG but we've had better managers.

Offline nigel

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 08:35:12 AM »
Thought it was a shame when the Little/Gregory combo split.
For me it was very similar to Clough and Taylor, different characters, but it worked.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 09:55:58 AM »
For me it was very similar to Clough and Taylor, different characters, but it worked.

Totally agree- we never looked as good for that final year under Little when Gregory left. We seemed to have Little Gregory and Evans covered all bases.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 10:03:10 AM »

I agree with that. It was a shame he left in the first place. In that 96-97 season didn't reach the heights of 95-96. Squad depth killed us those years. Remember getting thumped at Anfield 3-0 with a very makeshift team- Mark Draper declared unfit pre-match.

Gregory, of all the managers we had under Doug, actually had money to spend. In hindsight 95-2002 was a golden opportunity missed.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 01:23:32 PM »
I must watch this.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 01:27:32 PM »
I must watch this.

It's worthwhile Daz, I watched it full on Friday night, it's great.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 04:05:28 PM »
I really enjoyed watching this .It answered a few things i had always  wondered  about over the years like Doug's penny pinching and the no show against Chelsea in the cup final and JG admitting it will always haunt him how we just never turned up .The thing that really  interested  me was how frank he was about Yorke  and how he had told JG that he just did'nt want to play for Aston Villa anymore and how he did'nt lift a leg at Everton .To me he is up there with Steve Hodge as someone i will always have utter contempt  for

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 04:21:25 PM »
I really enjoyed watching this .It answered a few things i had always  wondered  about over the years like Doug's penny pinching and the no show against Chelsea in the cup final and JG admitting it will always haunt him how we just never turned up .The thing that really  interested  me was how frank he was about Yorke  and how he had told JG that he just did'nt want to play for Aston Villa anymore and how he did'nt lift a leg at Everton .To me he is up there with Steve Hodge as someone i will always have utter contempt  for

I was there that day at Everton, it was clear that something was up. I loved Yorke, and players move on, it's their career etc but it left such a sour taste, and then the badge kissing nonsense was pure twattery.
He got what he wanted and was proven correct with the treble win, but I've got to say I quite enjoyed it when he was disposed off unceremoniously and spent the rest of his days jobbing around at crap clubs.

Maybe because I'm a bit older and wiser, but I never had the same issue with Young or even Benteke, both of whom I'd have had back in a heartbeat.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 04:42:47 PM »

Hard to know whether he had truly downed tools or was just heavily distracted.

You'd like to think it was the latter, seeing as he'd been with us from the age of 18.

I'd prefer to remember the better moments. And if it had just been the Everton display, or the badge kissing for Yanited and then Blackburn you could excuse it away in isolation. But all that and the verbal diarrhoea about everyone knowing B-lose are the bigger club in the city is harder to bat away.

Then again, Gregory was prone to verbal diarrhoea as well.

Bertie Bigbollocks, milking his 15 minutes. He never knowingly walked past an open mic when there was a chance to hold court. Like a poundshop Brian Clough. If only his teams were as exciting as his early press conferences.

Didn't he also say it was great to be at a club where the fans don't turn on the team shortly after taking over at Derby? Classy. But loves the Villa, obv.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 04:45:48 PM »
It's probably the best interview to date and confirmed my belief that JG was a man with Villa in his heart.
Full of interest from start to finish for me from a period when we were flying at times.
Yorke's exit was desperate but for me it doesn't take away many special memories of his contribution to this club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal