collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Gregory  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

John Gregory
« on: June 03, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
Excellent 2 hr interview just been released by the Claret and Blue podcast team, well worth a listen and lots of memories.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: John Gregory
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 10:23:05 PM »
I liked John Gregory however he was a bit limited when  plan A didn't work.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 10:33:49 PM »
Two hours is roughly how long every second half felt like when he was manager.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:56:39 AM »
Will listen to it tomorrow.

I really enjoyed his spell pretty much up to the cup final. Total rollercoaster of two years with the ridiculous form we had as soon as he came in, went from just above relegation zone to making europe.

Then really thinking we could win the league up to Feb in 98/99.

Next season he was probably 45 minutes from the sack in one game we were losing but won that and we had a really good second half of the season in league and FA cup.....

Should've gone soon after the terrible cup final performance but we'd actually given him a new 3 year deal two weeks before that game. 00-01 was largely a boring season and 01/02 started off good but pretty much everyone (including him and the players) knew it wouldn't last and we soon dropped down the league although him quitting mid table was still a shock.

The Villa view lads did a good interview with him a few years back, he admitted he messed up in the cup final.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 03:25:53 AM »
I love Gregory. One of my favourite managers, despite his faults.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 07:25:48 AM »
Excellent 2 hr interview just been released by the Claret and Blue podcast team, well worth a listen and lots of memories.

He doesn’t come up for air during those two hours ! That said he was very interesting and you can feel his love for all things Villa.
The Steven Frogatt podcast by the same guys is a really good , Frogatt could be an after dinner speaker with his recollections of funny tales.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 01:42:35 PM »
I watched this last night after I had posted in the other thread about the 2000 cup final. I was hoping we would hear a little more about that 98-99 season and why we fell away.

He was dead right about Dwight Yorke. I know it's all ifs and buts and maybes but if Yorke's head hadn't been turned and we had made that wonderful start in 98-99....things could have been different - especially if we had gone on to sign Dublin ti partner him.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 02:08:41 PM »
I watched this last night after I had posted in the other thread about the 2000 cup final. I was hoping we would hear a little more about that 98-99 season and why we fell away.

He was dead right about Dwight Yorke. I know it's all ifs and buts and maybes but if Yorke's head hadn't been turned and we had made that wonderful start in 98-99....things could have been different - especially if we had gone on to sign Dublin ti partner him.

In the Villa view interview he said Ugo getting injured was massive turning point (which it was) given we had to play Scimeca regulary (who wasn't that good and had started that season filling in as striker!), not signing Juninho and also he was involved in off field stuff like pressing Ellis to spend more money on the training ground so took his eye off the pitch a bit. Collymore and Merson also had their issues around that time of course.

What I liked about JG in those early years was he knew how big he could be and was constantly in press bigging us up and trying to get in bigger name players to lift the mentality.

Had plenty of managers since who've had no clue on that and tried to downplay our status and even past achievements.

It fizzled out big time but his reign was plenty of fun for two and a bit years before he became very negative in his general approach.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 02:10:43 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 03:44:24 PM »
Agree with your summary there SHQ.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »

Agreed also.

You'd think more managers would realise that a bit of flattery goes a long way with fans, compare John's approach to the Houllier, the dolt. You'd think a man of his experience and reputation may have worked it out, but no, crawl up Liverpool's arse, call us a lower mid-table club when we've just finished 6th three years on the trot and then alienate half your squad when the transfer window has just closed. Pillock.

Then there's O'Leary.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 04:32:50 PM »
We have had some vain managers over the years. Some of them like Ron Saunders and Ron Atkinson backed it up by winning things. Others like John Gregory, David O'Leary, Gerard Houllier and Tim Sherwood fell short. MON was another vain manager and he probably falls in between the two groups.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 08:33:09 PM »

He doesn’t come up for air during those two hours ! That said he was very interesting and you can feel his love for all things Villa.
The Steven Frogatt podcast by the same guys is a really good , Frogatt could be an after dinner speaker with his recollections of funny tales.

Frustrating to think how much of a key player Froggatt could have been for us without the injuries.

He took to first team football like a duck to water after  making his debut in 1991/92, the wonder goal in the cup against Swindon away being the highlight that year. And he provided at least half the assists when Deano bagged six goals in his first three games in 92/93.

The Wimbledon away game is fondly remembered for Dalian's wonder goal. But it was Froggatt's injury in that game that largely bollocksed his Villa career. He still went on to get England recognition when he eventually ended up being sent to Coventry via Wolves. He was that good.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 08:35:29 PM »

Agreed also.

You'd think more managers would realise that a bit of flattery goes a long way with fans, compare John's approach to the Houllier, the dolt. You'd think a man of his experience and reputation may have worked it out, but no, crawl up Liverpool's arse, call us a lower mid-table club when we've just finished 6th three years on the trot and then alienate half your squad when the transfer window has just closed. Pillock.

Then there's O'Leary.

O'Leary and Houllier are good friends apparently.

Which explains alot.

Mind you the source for that is O'Dreary himself.  So I wouldn't take it to the bank.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 12:11:13 AM »

Agreed also.

Then there's O'Leary.

O'Leary and Houllier are good friends apparently.

Which explains alot.

Mind you the source for that is O'Dreary himself.  So I wouldn't take it to the bank.

Dosen't it stem from Houllier's heart attack and Leeds were actually Liverpool's opponents that day and think O'Leary visited him straight after in hospital.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 05:43:02 PM »

Frustrating to think how much of a key player Froggatt could have been for us without the injuries.

He took to first team football like a duck to water after  making his debut in 1991/92, the wonder goal in the cup against Swindon away being the highlight that year. And he provided at least half the assists when Deano bagged six goals in his first three games in 92/93.

The Wimbledon away game is fondly remembered for Dalian's wonder goal. But it was Froggatt's injury in that game that largely bollocksed his Villa career. He still went on to get England recognition when he eventually ended up being sent to Coventry via Wolves. He was that good.

Interesting. Had never given Froggatt's demise much thought. Reminds me of a contemporary of his, Graham Fenton and how he peaked so quickly. Like Froggatt, injuries hit him and he had ok spells at decent-ish clubs after but a '94 near-debut appearance at Wembley was always going to be difficult to live up to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal