collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by SamTheMouse
[Today at 12:43:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crystal Palace 3-2 Utterly inept Aston Villa  (Read 11687 times)

Offline john2710

Re: Crystal Palace 3-2 Utterly inept Aston Villa
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2021, 02:57:16 PM »
If we're honest, Leeds are more likely to push on next season than us. They have more fight, seem to have a pattern of play, they carry no passengers & the manager reacts when it's not working.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2021, 02:57:55 PM »
We aren’t ruthless enough - once again we don’t get the second goal - or in this case third to seal the game - and that invites the inevitable pressure, with the same predictable outcome. Until we stop being a soft touch, we’ll continue to see these piss weak performances.
This for me. When we go a goal ahead the ball turns into the proverbial hot potato time and time again. Our self belief is as flimsy as a butterflies wings.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2021, 02:59:06 PM »
If we're honest, Leeds are more likely to push on next season than us. They have more fight, seem to have a pattern of play, they carry no passengers & the manager reacts when it's not working.

Why? Their manager is their everything. If he goes to Spurs (and I hope not as they'll challenge for the title) Leeds will be relegated.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »

100% this. Thy have important qualities we still lack. I can see them starting next season the way we started this one, but not taking the second half of the season off.

Good luck to them, though it pains me to say it.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2021, 03:05:44 PM »
we have to learn how to look after the ball better .The possession second half was awful. 

also our tackling was non existent,  Marvellous can at least do that

Offline AlwaysVilla

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2021, 03:08:10 PM »
Leeds are a great example of a team with a number of good not necessarily great players,like ourselves but has manager that is tactically aware and can pre act during the game.  Its clear his players know their individual job when they step out. I remember Tony Morley telling me once that Saunders instilled this in his players every time. Our players seem to drift away time after time

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
Yep. There weren’t any shocking mistakes today, any noticeably poor individual performances. *Just* an entire team of players playing within their ability. Which is damning.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »
Yep. There weren’t any shocking mistakes today, any noticeably poor individual performances. *Just* an entire team of players playing within their ability. Which is damning.

I agree with you but we seem to have periods in games when we give the ball away inexplicably which just gives the opposition confidence. Our sloppiness in possession today at times was driving me nuts.

Offline john2710

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2021, 03:15:47 PM »
Plucky losers against the top teams & out muscled losers against lower teams. Apart from the start of this season its been a pattern for much of our time back in the Premier League.

When the intensity of the game goes up we can't cope.

That has as much to do with the lack of quality as anything but it's got to be addressed in the summer.

And Smith needs to step up too.

Online martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2021, 03:15:58 PM »
Another incredibly frustrating 90 minutes. Played some dominant, fluid stuff for the first 20 minutes, worked the channels, won the ball midfield, kept it, used it well. But then all of those things just seem to disappear from our game, most notably ball retention and passing to our own team mates. Quite what happens to cause this I really don't know. Proper Jekyll and Hyde.

Online Skerra

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2021, 03:18:08 PM »
I wasn’t a great fan of Leeds before this season either but, have to hand it to them, they have played a fairly consistent style of play all season, which I have come to admire. No chance of them being relegated next season.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2021, 03:18:43 PM »
Leeds are a great example of a team with a number of good not necessarily great players,like ourselves but has manager that is tactically aware and can pre act during the game.  Its clear his players know their individual job when they step out. I remember Tony Morley telling me once that Saunders instilled this in his players every time. Our players seem to drift away time after time

Leeds came up and took to the premier league like a duck to water. Anyway, it's up to us, in our third year back, to go and prove we are a top team.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
Leeds have a world class maverick in charge of them. A nice settled side that has remained more or less constant for 3 seasons under him. They are way beyond the sum of their parts.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2021, 03:25:45 PM »
Game of halves and phases. Villa were great at times first half and rightfully led. Went onto shell when scored and then hit back immediately reasserting rightful dominance. I didn't enjoy the second half. Palace deserves to win.

Martinez Target McGinn Watkins decent enough for 7. But a general lack of consistency from the team today in quality.
El Ghazi , Hause , Elmo and Grealish notable mentions for glimpses.of quality offensive or defensive displays

Disappointed -
Ramsey would have been brilliant if he scored in 2nd minute.
Konsa had no clue and so slow defending Zaha for the goal deflected off Elmo. Made a couple of nice blocks but also very erratic at times and not dealing with defence situations as effective as previously in season
Luiz: Anonymous and coasting.
Traroe. Good set play corners but very poor generally largely ineffective far too passive and offered little cover to Elmo. Was right to be subbed . But pleasing to see him taking the set play corners.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:28:04 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Allan C

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2021, 03:28:55 PM »
For me once again this game shows that AEG, Traore, Elmo, Hause and Davis are not of the required standard for us to progress. Ramsey shouldn’t be starting unless it’s necessary for injury reasons because he’s not ready yet, and that’s the very reason why Chuk shouldn’t be near even the bench yet. The deeper squad isn’t good enough when regulars are missing and we are just about at the level we should be if those players are required.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal