collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How does Emi Martinez rate alongside other Villa keepers?  (Read 7576 times)

Offline BC Villain

How does Emi Martinez rate alongside other Villa keepers?
« on: May 15, 2021, 10:56:19 AM »
We've been blessed to have had some some great keepers at Villa over the years.  Given Martinez's phenomenal impression this season, be interesting to see how others rate him against others they've seen.

In my years, Bosnich was always the one I thought was outstanding over a long period of time (save for his godawful kicking).

Spink was a great servant and club legend,  but was probably slightly past his best when I saw him.

David James was brilliant over the two years he was here.  Completely rebuilt his reputation and got his England place back.

Friedel was solid enough, but again we probably got him at the wrong time when his peak had just gone.

Martinez has been unreal so far in a team where at times he's had to work overtime to keep a clean sheet.

Offline Damo70

Re: How does Emi Martinez rate alongside other Villa keepers?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »
It is a tough call between Rimmer, Martinez and Friedel but for me if he had knuckled down and kept his head screwed on both on and off the pitch Bosnich was well on his way to being up there with the best in the world around the mid nineties.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
I've probably seem Emi more than any other Villa keeper over the years, as been able to watch every match this season. He is exceptional & even in his worst games (very few) I haven't witnessed a horror show, rather dips from exceptional to good.

Exceptional makes him one of the best keepers in the world, and with his very few good displays he's still better than nearly any other Premier league keeper.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 01:22:17 PM »
Emi is great. Bosnich was king.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 01:43:13 PM »
Sunderland away in the League Cup and Manure away in 92/93 were brilliant performances from Bosnich

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 01:56:11 PM »
Sunderland away in the League Cup and Manure away in 92/93 were brilliant performances from Bosnich

The Sunderland game was right up there with the best goalkeeping performances I have ever witnessed. Bozzie and Dalian really turned it on in our run to winning the cup that season. Deano too to be fair.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 02:00:07 PM by Damo70 »

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »

The Sunderland game was right up there with the best goalkeeping performances I have ever witnessed. Bozzie and Dalian really turned it on in our run to winning the cup that season. Deano too to be fair.

He was world class that night. They should have battered us.

Bozzie is still right up there for me. That Tranmere penalty save when they needed to score to win and he just banged his chest and shouted “You can’t fucking beat me”.

Emi is clearly an absolutely top notch keeper and I may change my mind over the next 12 months.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 05:51:09 PM »
He is very good but not in the top 5. Those being:
Rimmer
Bosnich
James
Friedel
Heaton (I know he's been injured but IMO he is a better keeper.)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 12:59:38 AM »
Friedel was solid for us aside from a dodgy patch in his last season but never once did I come away from a match thinking he'd practically won us a match on his own (as I'd seen him do a few times for Blackburn in the previous years). Also didn't help his penalty saving skiills totally deserted him when he joined us as he was first prem keeper to save two penalites in one game I think.

Would class Heaton in same category. Solid and what we needed being promoted, no chance he's a better all round keeper than Emi though as not as dominant on crosses for a start.

Bozzy was one of my football heroes growing up. Looking back he did make a fair few errors during the seasons rushing out but the sort who'd then make a world class save five minutes later so had the right sort of mentality needed.

Thought James had a brilliant season in 99/00 but the last match summed his career up. When the crunch came he made an error.

Overall would rank as:

1. Bosnich
2. Emi
3. James
4. Friedel
5. Sorensen (overall not a bad keeper but the obvious errors mean he's a very distant 5th).

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »
In my time watching Villa Martinez based on just this season sits just behind Jimmy Rimmer and Mark Bosnich and fractionally in front of Nigel Spink.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 11:20:00 AM »
He is very good but not in the top 5. Those being:
Rimmer
Bosnich
James
Friedel
Heaton (I know he's been injured but IMO he is a better keeper.)

Got to disagree there mate, he's miles better than Heaton, and James.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:41 AM »
Nigel Sims was Mr reliable for me. Funny that keepers usually get less than outfielders yet every mistake by them is critical.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 11:59:41 AM »
For that save against Coventry alone, Bosnich will always be king.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 12:07:14 PM »
Rimmer
Bosnich
Emi
Sims
Spink
Friedel

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 01:50:24 PM »
For that save against Coventry alone, Bosnich will always be king.

Was that the one in front of the Holte that took a deflection?  Still say that's the best save I've seen in the flesh.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal