collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dalian Atkinson trial  (Read 22560 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Dalian Atkinson trial
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2022, 12:31:19 PM »
Nonsense. The evidence is overwhelming. She battered an unarmed Black man while he was lying on the ground. If we dismiss this because we assume the jury can't possibly make a mistake then we dismiss all the other times that Black people have been assaulted and/or died at the hands of police and not received justice. I'd rather not.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:37:29 PM by cdbearsfan »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2022, 01:29:08 PM »
Absolutely shocking. How on earth did the Jury come to that conclusion.
Something not right.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2022, 01:24:03 AM »
Nonsense. The evidence is overwhelming. She battered an unarmed Black man while he was lying on the ground. If we dismiss this because we assume the jury can't possibly make a mistake then we dismiss all the other times that Black people have been assaulted and/or died at the hands of police and not received justice. I'd rather not.

Not just once either, THREE TIMES. Was it the fact he didn't respond to the first smack that forced her to repeat it twice more ? You would think having witnessed her partner taser him three times and kick him in the head so hard it left an imprint that she might have been moved to sympathy and concern for his health. Of course the police can say whatever they want as Dalian isn't around to provide his side of the story. And if that was lawful use of the baton then the law is a joke.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2022, 03:28:48 AM »
Well I for one shall sleepy soundly knowing there's police out there who despite their 'training' are so fucking shit at their job that they can't realise that a bloke lying unconscious on the floor having already being tazered 3 times, and also kicked in the head just for good measure, isn't actually any threat.

Agreed, PWS.

I am largely sympathetic towards police officers, I certainly couldn't do their job. But generally speaking, if somebody dies before arrest, things have gone kind of wrong.

We're not in America. Looking black within a mile of a crime shouldn't be a death sentence.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2022, 08:27:57 AM »
Dalian's 'crime' was mental illness and renal failure.  It was medical and psychiatric care he needed, not jackboot justice.  Shame on those police officers, I hope it haunts them forever.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2022, 10:21:48 AM »
Dalian's 'crime' was mental illness and renal failure.  It was medical and psychiatric care he needed, not jackboot justice.  Shame on those police officers, I hope it haunts them forever.

Spot on Dave.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2022, 12:07:19 PM »
Agreed again. The verdict does a disservice to the overwhelming majority of police officers who do their duty in a correct manner.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2022, 12:49:18 PM »
I thought that after someone has been rendered incapacitated by Tazer the next stage is to handcuff them.
Apparently the procedure is to kick them in the head and batter them with a truncheon.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2022, 07:24:01 PM »

I don't think anyone's assuming juries can't make mistakes.  When they got it wrong it's normally as a result of evidence that's flawed or withheld.

The point still stands that the 12 people on the jury, who actually hear all the evidence, are in a better position to assess it than you, me or anyone else that hasn't.

in my experience I'd say they get it right most of the time.  In about 80% of cases they do exactly what I'd expect on, acquit or convict.  I might be disappointed at the latter but not surprised.  In about 15% they acquit where I'd expected them not to.  Normally they're deeply suspicious and unhappy with the defendant but there was something that made them unsure.  Often it's something that was lost on me.  5%, they convict when they really shouldn't, either because I think there should be a doubt or (worst case) I've actually thought the defendant innocent.  It's those that have caused me serious loss of sleep over the years, wondering what I did wrong or what more I could've done.

But it's never occurred to me that a bunch of people of people who were never in court, never heard the evidence, and never received a direction from the judge on the law, would be in a better position to decide someone's guilt or innocence.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2022, 07:49:12 PM »
Strong "you can't talk about football unless you've played the game" vibes from that post.

She's a white cop, he's Black. She battered him while he was posing no threat and now he's dead, like so many other Black people at the hands of the police. You don't need to have studied law to work out what's gone on.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2022, 07:50:42 PM »
This.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2022, 07:51:18 PM »
I think a fairer analogy to what Hopadop was saying would be to say that you can’t necessarily comment on a 90 minute game if you’ve only seen the highlights on MOTD.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2022, 07:51:39 PM »
Strong "you can't talk about football unless you've played the game" vibes from that post.

She's a white cop, he's Black. She battered him while he was posing no threat and now he's dead, like so many other Black people at the hands of the police. You don't need to have studied law to work out what's gone on.
And this.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2022, 08:19:13 PM »

Any vibes unintended.  As I'm sure are any of yours.

My point is the 24 jurors who've heard all the evidence in the case are in the best position to assess it. Any additional baggage added is yours.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2022, 08:21:21 PM »
But you're not simply talking about it, you're levelling thinly veiled insinuations at a jury made up of members of the public of either incompetence, racism or corruption.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal