collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1120391 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #3495 on: June 25, 2021, 04:59:50 PM »
You know what, if our owners really are as rich as everyone says, if I were them I'd start leaking stories to the press that we are interested in Phil Foden for £80m, as we want to play him with Jack, Emi and Ollie in the league's best attacking line-up.

With Greenwood as back up, Rice in the centre of the park and job done.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3496 on: June 25, 2021, 05:03:34 PM »

Offline jwarry

« Reply #3497 on: June 25, 2021, 05:04:27 PM »
You know what, if our owners really are as rich as everyone says, if I were them I'd start leaking stories to the press that we are interested in Phil Foden for £80m, as we want to play him with Jack, Emi and Ollie in the league's best attacking line-up.

It will come! But our problem right now is we don’t have European football to offer

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #3498 on: June 25, 2021, 05:09:45 PM »

It will come! But our problem right now is we don’t have European football to offer, yet.

Fixed that for you  ;)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3499 on: June 25, 2021, 09:22:55 PM »
Villa wanted their signings in by the time they all reported back to training, those not involved in tournaments that is.  Should mean another one in next week then as they are back to on July 5th?  Hopefully a couple more at least.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3500 on: June 25, 2021, 09:59:57 PM »
He doesn’t meet our profile of age or record of staying fit.

Tend to agree seeing he's 30 in 2 months

Wasn't Andy Townsend about that age when we signed him. An experienced head or two would help the team no end. Think thats why we got Young in.

We'd have never signed McGrath  or Kevin Richardson either so exceptions should be made for certain positions imo particularly if said player isn't coming in as a first choice which seems to be the strategy with Young.

Would be interested as to the average age of teams that actually trophies at the end of last season. Leicester had actually a fair few in their team over 30 winning the cup although of course they've had a few of them for 7-8 years now.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:02:32 PM by SoccerHQ »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3501 on: June 25, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »
I still say that of all the players we've had since our last successful team, Andy Townsend is the one who's never been properly replaced.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #3502 on: June 25, 2021, 10:36:18 PM »
I still say that of all the players we've had since our last successful team, Andy Townsend is the one who's never been properly replaced.

And his sale coincided with that very dodgy spell in 97/98.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3503 on: June 25, 2021, 10:57:36 PM »
It was a surprise we let him go so early in 97/98. I know we'd signed Grayson that summer but he really wasn' on same level and was just mediocre squad option.

Did he ever have a memorable game for us? Can remember hardly anything of him or even when he left or who we sold him to so as nondescript signing as you can get.

Townsend went to Boro anyway and think he captained them to promotion and then was regular when they finished mid table the next season.

Mind you in those days Boro were paying way more in wages than us, they signed Merson was was first choice at Arsenal that summer so guess wage increase in his mid 30s was big factor.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:59:11 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3504 on: June 26, 2021, 12:12:01 AM »

I’d probably say in terms of football ability, leadership and overall impact within the club Stan Petrov comes close to him.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3505 on: June 26, 2021, 12:46:00 AM »
It was a surprise we let him go so early in 97/98. I know we'd signed Grayson that summer but he really wasn' on same level and was just mediocre squad option.

Did he ever have a memorable game for us? Can remember hardly anything of him or even when he left or who we sold him to so as nondescript signing as you can get.

Did he have a couple of goalscoring performances in the FA Cup one year (Portsmouth and West Brom rings a bell)?

Offline Jimsta

• GM : 13.05.2020
« Reply #3506 on: June 26, 2021, 06:52:48 AM »
I do remember Grayson scoring a great goal against West Brom in the cup around the 5th minute in a 4-0 win. I was in high  hopes about Grayson as the season before he got player of the season for Leicester and getting him on a free also, But apart from that goal i can not remember anything else.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #3507 on: June 26, 2021, 10:24:39 AM »

Agree with that. Townsend was the last time we had a 'midfield general'. It's what we are lacking now too, a combative player with a good range of passing and a leader too.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #3508 on: June 26, 2021, 10:57:19 AM »
How quickly people forget Djemba - Djemba (the ultimate midfield general)

Offline nigel

« Reply #3509 on: June 26, 2021, 10:58:03 AM »

Agree with that. Townsend was the last time we had a 'midfield general'. It's what we are lacking now too, a combative player with a good range of passing and a leader too.

Delph could/should have been that player.

Yes, he let us down, and we can call him what we like, but he was a fine player

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal