collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109269 times)

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #1185 on: May 17, 2021, 12:18:36 PM »
If we're looking to Leicester as an example to emulate, we're probably looking more at Tielemans type players than Cavanis. But I wouldn't be surprised if there's a well known face who gets signed as a statement of intent.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #1186 on: May 17, 2021, 12:45:21 PM »
It would certainly do no harm to have one or two experienced players in our team.

Howsabout Kante from Chelsea as a starter. 30 years old but plenty still left in the tank. That would be making a statement.  :)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1187 on: May 17, 2021, 12:48:00 PM »
Question is does that sum include transfer sales including Jack?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1188 on: May 17, 2021, 12:49:18 PM »
It strikes me that if Jack is going to go it would get done before the Euros to prevent a bidding war on the release fee.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1189 on: May 17, 2021, 12:51:35 PM »
Stop trying to sell our best player! It's like the Birmingham sodding Mail site on here.

Grealish is not leaving. He has a massive contract. He loves Villa. We are rich. He is staying.

Cheer up!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1190 on: May 17, 2021, 12:54:44 PM »
I am not selling him Sir.  Strikes me that teams will be reluctant anyway given his injury record.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1191 on: May 17, 2021, 12:58:35 PM »
if we spend that amount - the pressure on Dean will be enormous (the owners and supporters will expect us to be in the top 4, and in truth there can be no excuses).

If you look at the current team even the players who are currently considered to be irreplaceable will be thinking I hope that they are not looking at my position in the team to improve!

It looks as though it is going to be an interesting Summer (Dean may need to win 1 of the 2 last games of the season, to ensure that the owners think he is the manager to trust with this amount of money with to spend)

Not sure on that, Everton spend 500m since 2016 and they could well finish 10th now.

It's not as simple, the 250m might include Jack leaving for 100m + (let's hope not) so that will reset expectations given that sort of strategy didn't work out that well in summer 2015.

I think it's more likely 100m budget given we spent 80m last summer and whatever we raise in sales so potentially another 20-30m.

250m warchest would be ridiculously exciting though as it would mean for sure we sign 4-5 players in 40-50m range. You obviously don't have that sort of money and sign 10 players for 20m as a) we don't need that many and b) the stockpiling would be ridiculous in the squad unless we're selling 10 which won't happen.

All in all will be a very interesting summer that will shape our next five years whatever we spend.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1192 on: May 17, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
if we spend that amount - the pressure on Dean will be enormous (the owners and supporters will expect us to be in the top 4, and in truth there can be no excuses).

If you look at the current team even the players who are currently considered to be irreplaceable will be thinking I hope that they are not looking at my position in the team to improve!

It looks as though it is going to be an interesting Summer (Dean may need to win 1 of the 2 last games of the season, to ensure that the owners think he is the manager to trust with this amount of money with to spend)

Not sure on that, Everton spend 500m since 2016 and they could well finish 10th now.

It's not as simple, the 250m might include Jack leaving for 100m + (let's hope not) so that will reset expectations given that sort of strategy didn't work out that well in summer 2015.

I think it's more likely 100m budget given we spent 80m last summer and whatever we raise in sales so potentially another 20-30m.

250m warchest would be ridiculously exciting though as it would mean for sure we sign 4-5 players in 40-50m range. You obviously don't have that sort of money and sign 10 players for 20m as a) we don't need that many and b) the stockpiling would be ridiculous in the squad unless we're selling 10 which won't happen.

All in all will be a very interesting summer that will shape our next five years whatever we spend.

Everton are a great example, that spend plus a full on, Grade A, hugely successful manager and they don't look any better than us.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1193 on: May 17, 2021, 01:07:35 PM »

The bold bit isn't quite right. Yes we sold our best player(s) and used the money to buy half a squad but the issue was that we spent the money really poorly and looked and felt very much like 2 people fighting over who was in charge of the budget.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1194 on: May 17, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
Where have these 250m numbers come from ?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1195 on: May 17, 2021, 01:15:58 PM »
I'd bet my left bollock we won't be spending £240m.  Or anywhere near it.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1196 on: May 17, 2021, 01:19:50 PM »

The bold bit isn't quite right. Yes we sold our best player(s) and used the money to buy half a squad but the issue was that we spent the money really poorly and looked and felt very much like 2 people fighting over who was in charge of the budget.

Likes of Amavi would've looked so much better hitting inch perfect crosses for Benteke than Gestede and Delph-Gana would've been a nice midfield combination.

We signed some good players in summer 2015, just the wrong time. Previous summer would've been better to target that type of player but instead we got in Senderos, Cissokho, Richardson, Carlos Sanchez....

I wouldn't be against that strategy again given financial issues in french league currently, just make sure we don't sell Grealish and Watkins for 200m at end of the summer.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1197 on: May 17, 2021, 01:38:25 PM »
If we were going to spend £240m (we're not) Brentfords owners eyes would certainly be lighting up.

Edit - I see CDBully beat me to it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:40:07 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1198 on: May 17, 2021, 01:40:53 PM »
One reason I hope Brentford get promoted is so it finally forces us to look elsewhere. I love Watkins, but that's probably enough no?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1199 on: May 17, 2021, 01:53:15 PM »
One reason I hope Brentford get promoted is so it finally forces us to look elsewhere. I love Watkins, but that's probably enough no?

Rico Henry and Ivan Toney could easily be targets.

I agree with the general thought, bit boring just to sign their best player every transfer window.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal