collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:08:20 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

Re: International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 09:52:01 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 09:44:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1104945 times)

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #1095 on: May 14, 2021, 08:28:54 AM »
What is Luiz's midfield position? I'm sure he was not bought for the job he is doing at the moment.

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #1096 on: May 14, 2021, 09:00:34 AM »
Louis is 23 with 67 premier appearances.  He’s not a novice and too inconsistent in my opinion.

Agree with poster who said we have a core of the back 5 plus Jack, McGinn and Watkins to build on.
Interesting that many people were saying similar things about Jack's inconsistency when he had just turned 23...

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1097 on: May 14, 2021, 09:16:26 AM »
Luiz had moat touches on the pitch last night of any player (84) a pass accuracy of 92.7% last night.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1098 on: May 14, 2021, 10:00:12 AM »
What is Luiz's midfield position? I'm sure he was not bought for the job he is doing at the moment.

Sitting in front of the back four is where he should be. Getting the ball off the back and getting us playing. He bombs forward a bit too much for my liking, then again it was his cross that put that chance on a plate for Mings last night.

He can certainly play a bit but I'd like to see him braver demanding the ball off the back and playing more on the half turn, he can be far too safe at times. Without the ball he isn't developing at all in terms of his positional discipline. Doesn't sense danger enough for me, like for Gomez two chances yesterday. That's a big weakness for any holding midfielder. I'm not his biggest fan but watch Mings last night for that chance at end, he made certain DLC wasn't getting to that cross. Touch tight, goal side of his man and a great clearance. I rarely see Luis do anything like that.

I did think he was decent enough last night though as was McGinn. We did win the midfield battle, can't even remember who was playing in midfield for Everton along with Allan.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #1099 on: May 14, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »
I thought he had a very good first half last night. Level dropped a bit in the second, but so did everybody else's.

I like him and think he'll get even better if we add some more quality around him this summer.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1100 on: May 14, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »
I thought he had a very good first half last night. Level dropped a bit in the second, but so did everybody else's.
I like him and think he'll get even better if we add some more quality around him this summer.
Your point about getting in more quality is a good observation - one that also applies to AEG.
Luiz is frustrating because it's clear he has the ability. My 'take' is that he lacks a bit of short-distance pace (acceleration away from the first opponent) and often sees a pass aren't seeing - which means he effectively mispasses.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1101 on: May 14, 2021, 12:27:10 PM »
I’m not really sure what the need is (for some) to rush to judgement on Douglas. He’s young, has a lot of talent, and I almost guarantee he’ll kick on in his development. He’s a player we should be very happy to keep if we can.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1102 on: May 14, 2021, 12:49:12 PM »

He plays deep for Brazil but with more licence to push forward so pretty much what McGinn has played this season, Casemiro is the pure DM for Brazil.

One thing I don't quite get though, he's played DM for us for pretty much the whole season. Our defence has been top 6 for pretty much whole season. Why isn't he getting massive praise for that just as say Kante rightly gets praised for how good the Chelsea backline has been since Tuchel came in.

That's part of his job don't forget. Sigurdsson barely had a kick last night aside from a couple of free kicks and Richarlison was popping up centrally at times and he only came into the game last 20 minutes (pulling out wide) so surely Doug should be getting credit for nulifying oppositions best attacking players as that played a part in the clean sheet.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:53:17 PM by SoccerHQ »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1103 on: May 14, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »

He plays deep for Brazil but with more licence to push forward so pretty much what McGinn has played this season, Casemiro is the pure DM for Brazil.

One thing I don't quite get though, he's played DM for us for pretty much the whole season. Our defence has been top 6 for pretty much whole season. Why isn't he getting massive praise for that just as say Kante rightly gets praised for how good the Chelsea backline has been since Tuchel came in.

That's part of his job don't forget. Sigurdsson barely had a kick last night aside from a couple of free kicks and Richarlison was popping up centrally at times and he only came into the game last 20 minutes (pulling out wide) so surely Doug should be getting credit for nulifying oppositions best attacking players as that played a part in the clean sheet.

His role for Brazil is where i'd like to see him for us, I think he's more box-to-box than outright defensive and he has the touch and vision to be dangerous in the final 3rd, that's why I'd like to see a genuine DM come in and let McGinn, Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey fight out for 2 '8' spots.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1104 on: May 14, 2021, 01:00:08 PM »
I wouldn't be against that but I'd be amazed if McGinn isn't an automatic pick for next season either so just means he gets pushed into number 10 role again and he really seems to have lost the art of what made him so dangerous in championship and early part of our first prem season, those classic late runs into the box and getting on end of stuff.

He can still do it for Scotland at times but would be risky as we simply don't score enough from central midfield as other teams who we're hoping to finish above next season.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1105 on: May 14, 2021, 01:13:17 PM »
I wouldn't be against that but I'd be amazed if McGinn isn't an automatic pick for next season either so just means he gets pushed into number 10 role again and he really seems to have lost the art of what made him so dangerous in championship and early part of our first prem season, those classic late runs into the box and getting on end of stuff.

He can still do it for Scotland at times but would be risky as we simply don't score enough from central midfield as other teams who we're hoping to finish above next season.

We'll see but I don't want a 10 and 2 wingers, I think that shape makes us more defensive, as bizarre as it sounds. As I've mentioned about Everton yesterday they effectively played with 7 players who had defensive responsibilities and then 3 further forward who did a bit of pressing from the front but other than that clearly weren't expected to be chasing runners all game.

I want a similar setup (but less defensive), Jack, Watkins and another as a front 3 and then a fairly flat 3 in midfield behind where the 2 8s help out with covering the runs from opposition fullbacks to allow the attacking players to stay higher up the pitch. Traore gets a lot of shit for not tracking back well but for me all that shows is that system is wrong, he shouldn't need to do as much tracking back as we ask for right now.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1106 on: May 14, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
Dean Smith: “We’ve been planning for a long time. The people in the recruitment department & the sporting director have certainly had their finger on the pulse. The targets will make me excited, so it should make the supporters excited as well.”

I just pitched a tent

According to The Sun, Chelski are going to give Tuchel a 150m 'warchest' this Summer. I guess we'd need to be spending something similar to make a concerted push for top 6.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1107 on: May 14, 2021, 01:54:54 PM »
Dean Smith: “We’ve been planning for a long time. The people in the recruitment department & the sporting director have certainly had their finger on the pulse. The targets will make me excited, so it should make the supporters excited as well.”

I just pitched a tent

According to The Sun, Chelski are going to give Tuchel a 150m 'warchest' this Summer. I guess we'd need to be spending something similar to make a concerted push for top 6.

Ah, not simply money to spend, but a "war chest".

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1108 on: May 14, 2021, 02:19:35 PM »
Because Chelsea's spending last summer was such a resounding success. 

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1109 on: May 14, 2021, 02:36:47 PM »
Because Chelsea's spending last summer was such a resounding success. 

I hope we don't waste our money over the coming seasons and 'only' end up in the top 4 and FA Cup and CL finals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal