collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Return of the Jedi  (Read 4230 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Return of the Jedi
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »
He may not have done too much for us on the pitch (though I seem to recall he came on in the Rotherham 10 men game) but his influence was at Bodymoor where his professionalism and apparently his demand for standards from those around him made him one of the most influential voices.  If he can bring that to his role and the general back room team then alls good. That stare at the Hawthorns though.....

Jedinak was a strange player, not skillful or mobile but he seemed to dominate the pitch, he just seemed a huge presence.

It's hard to explain, I've not noticed it often in a player, and the only players I can think of off the top of my head were God and Ruud Gullit, but then they were world class.

I'm not suggesting he was anywhere near that quality, but he just had that air about him that he was in charge of everything without being particularly aggressive.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 12:16:00 PM »
Must have been the beard and the muscly shoulders. Cos let's face it, with the ball at his feet he was a bit...mince.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »
I remember talking to a Palace fan  about Jedinak and he was a god and legend at Selhurst Park They loved the guy and were upset when he left them to join us .I think he will do well

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
Welcome back, Mile, what an inspiration for our young players!

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 09:57:39 PM »
Quick question - what is a loans coach?!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 10:49:49 PM »

Across the 2 roles the jobs will be:
Identifying teams for our players to go out to that fit with how our first team play and building links.
Ensuring players are getting the support they need and a decent amount of game time.
Ensuring the coaching at the loan clubs is focusing on areas we want it to.
More generally being a link between the players and the club whilst they're elsewhere.

I suspect Jedi will be the last 2 and the other guy will look after the first 2 but that's just a guess from the job titles.

It's not quite the same but I know (have met a few times more accurately) a guy who does a similar job for Exeter Chiefs.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 10:51:23 PM »
Thanks Paul.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 11:15:11 PM »
Pleased he's in this role.

Many clubs have it now and when you look at way we've used it in last few years for likes of O'Hare and even lack of loan for Kienan Davis it's clear we massively need to improve in this respect for many reasons.

Time will tell but good to have Mile back involved in the club.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 11:16:21 PM »

Across the 2 roles the jobs will be:
Identifying teams for our players to go out to that fit with how our first team play and building links.
Ensuring players are getting the support they need and a decent amount of game time.
Ensuring the coaching at the loan clubs is focusing on areas we want it to.
More generally being a link between the players and the club whilst they're elsewhere.

I suspect Jedi will be the last 2 and the other guy will look after the first 2 but that's just a guess from the job titles.

It's not quite the same but I know (have met a few times more accurately) a guy who does a similar job for Exeter Chiefs.

I remember watching the 1-1 draw at Barnsley in  the pub 2 seasons ago and the cameras zoomed in on Tore Andre Flo who was in the stands fulfilling that role for Chelsea, ensuring that Bruce was passing on the finer points of total football to Tammy Abraham.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2021, 12:31:19 AM »
This is a good article on what Dean Hammond does in that role at Leicester:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11991509/loans-manager-role-explained-dean-hammond-on-why-it-is-so-important

Only have to see the three loans Harvey Barnes went on and how that improved him every time and then Leicester properly integrated him into their first team squad.

We never really gave O'Hare much of a chance compared to that, just keeping him for about two years of his development just to play the odd league and FA cup tie. Andre Green also might've been a lost cause but again sending him to Preston where he played two games in six months is classic example of not researching right sort of environment for him.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2021, 10:10:36 AM »

I think it's what Mark Corrigan aspired to be in Peep Show before JLB Credit went down the dumper.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 12:22:42 PM »
I wonder if we'll look to loan players abroad as part of their education too?

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 02:41:16 PM »
I wonder if we'll look to loan players abroad as part of their education too?

As far as Jedi is concerned he is abroad already.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2021, 07:13:57 PM »
I met the Jedi once a couple of years ago, his little kid played for the same club as my son, albeit a couple of years younger, seemed like a top bloke, more than happy to have impromptu photos with the kids on an early Sunday morning.
I know a Palace fan at work and he also confirmed they loved him down there. Past his best when we got him, but one of the old guard that helped get us up, not to be forgotten and glad he’s back.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 09:20:51 AM »
I used to quite like him in the Villa team. He protected the defence, and I don’t think i ever saw him miss a header. He was outstanding in the air.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal